Author Topic: the OC corner  (Read 29229 times)

Andoriol

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
Re: the OC corner
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2014, 06:51:35 AM »
Hmm, regardless, thanks! I appreciate any help whatsoever :D Insulting or not, as long as they legit try to help, I'd appreciate it. It's the insults for insults sake that bug me.

And yeah, overepowered is never good. Well, if you focus on the combat. It's the Superman problem, but that's something separate.

Anyways, I understand that, but it's hard to escape. Someone who can stand on the field of battle with Servants at all is severely overpowered in the context of a lot of other more 'reasonable' settings. Taking weaponry from a sci-fi setting and introducing it into a medieval, magical setting is overpowered, even if you remember that you have limited ammo and no infrastructure to take care of it. The ability to perform magic, even in a limited context, breaks assumptions and is overpowered in the same Sci-fi setting that you got the equipment from. And if you were stuck in such a situation, wouldn't you go out of your way to get as many game-breakers as you could?

It's a natural consequence given enough time, and I can't really figure a logical way to avoid that  :o

Okay, slight lie, I have one idea, but it'd be a massive pain to keep track of. My best bet so far is that in universes which he's not actually 'summoned', he's stuck with the body that he had upon summoning. That and after a certain point, he starts getting squeezed into the Servant container like proper Heroic Spirits are due to having too much power for the HGW system to handle. I actually asked in another thread for when that'd be appropriate to do and suggestions on how best to do it.

(Funnily, Saber still could beat him. I didn't even intend for it, but she can still beat him even without Avalon. This amuses me endlessly for no good reason.)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2014, 02:34:53 PM »
Thanks for spitting on me Bloble, that's awesome

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
He worded it a bit harshly, but it is the truth. A rather large majority of people really don't like Satoshi, myself included. While a large majority isn't always correct, sometimes when it is indeed this large, it means that there needs to be some serious reconsideration. When a large portion of that large majority is filled with perfectly nice and intelligent people, however, who are getting to the point where they're not being as nice as usual in their irritation with the character, then it really deserves consideration.

You say you heed criticism, but you have shown us absolutely no sign of it. We can't believe you unless we see this with our eyes. It's like with Toshi's characteristics, you expect us to just believe what you tell us over what we actually see. And it doesn't work that way. So if I were you, I'd reconsider a good number of things. It'd benefit you immensely.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
The only thing I reconsidered was the format of the story. Other than that the thing that must change is that people listen when I speak. I shall not rewrite the story because it is a perfectly decent one, Satoshi is a decent character, I know as much because I'm far more critical of my own work than anyone else.

I have written bad characters, of which Satoshi is not one.

I3uster

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
I wish you could see him like I do, Shepard.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »
*sigh* Would you guys please learn to SHUT UP?! I don't want to see this place become a place for arguing all the damn time!

Anyway... about OCs, I'm still working on that bit, so it'll take some time before I get back here with them. I hope that... well, it'll take me a while to actually put them down, so I'll have you all judge the OCs later.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
The only thing I reconsidered was the format of the story. Other than that the thing that must change is that people listen when I speak. I shall not rewrite the story because it is a perfectly decent one, Satoshi is a decent character, I know as much because I'm far more critical of my own work than anyone else.

I have written bad characters, of which Satoshi is not one.

Even the Word Bearers think that's hilarious, and they only laugh at loyalist scum worshiping their Carrion Lord.  Your story is awful on a purely technical level, even before we get to the issues in the characters, plot, etc. etc.

When the fucking MARIDONIA BOOKS look better written, you know you have a problem lantz. And you have one fucking big problem.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Er, Magos, where did you find that image? 4Chan? Or am I mistaken?

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
Check the link address. Or use reverse image search.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
Makes sense (now).

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
Thanks for spitting on me Bloble, that's awesome

I'll take it back if you can give me evidence of a single person other than yourself liking Satoshi. You've written decent characters. He isn't one of them.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »
You presume my opinion Bloble, that is how you spit on me. Next time do not assume what I believe, ask me. I consider Satoshi no better than any character I have ever created, I only defend him because of two points. Firstly that none of you have read the story, and so you do not know the context by which he accomplishes anything he does, the way something is accomplished determines whether it is acceptable or not, basing an opinion on a list of accomplishments is a fault on the reader, not the writer. Secondly that the intent of a character colours their actions and Satoshi's intent is always ignored by those who "evaluate" him.

I have said repeatedly that everyone is entitled to their opinion but without reading the work an opinion cannot be fully formed. As such I ignore claims like Mary sue.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
Except we still see him in the RP. And we can't exactly execute the "don't like, don't read" you love shoving at us there. So story or no story, that serves as enough to pass judgement. And that's supposed to be Satoshi at his height. So that makes it even worse.

Plus the fact that you seek to pass blame to others instead of yourself shows that you're consumed by your own ego. You appear to only write for yourself, and not others. If you don't care about actually bringing readers joy, then why not actually never publish the stories or RP? Because you obviously don't care about anyone's joy except your own in that regard.

Stop assuming that everyone else is wrong and you are right and being so judgemental of others. Otherwise all you'll keep doing is continue to push everyone away from you so that in the end, almost no one likes you. Which you may have already achieved by your own behavior.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:48:21 AM by Alice »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2014, 01:59:05 AM »
To be fair, he is writing for no reward, if he wants to write solely for his own enjoyment there is nothing wrong with that. And, some people at least do like reading it, and publishing it does no harm, so I don't see why he shouldn't do so.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2014, 02:00:28 AM »
My criticism is more directed at the RPing stuff than anything. His fanfiction we can mostly ignore. The RP stuff we can't really. And that's the problem.