General Discussion > Real World Topics

Right Wing or Left Wing?

(1/7) > >>

Kat:
Well, I'm kind of interested in how people here classify themselves according to the classic political spectrum, after several talks on that topic through with some of fellow DSMers.

Of course, please be civil.

I myself classify as a right winger who is pro free market, mildly interventionist (I frown on overblown social spending. Give the rod, not fish), pro LBGT rights and, too be frank, anticlerical (I treat with suspicion every attempt of religious leader to meddle in affairs of the state)

Cherry Lover:
Honestly, I think the terms "right-wing" and "left-wing" are not particularly well-defined. For example, I would definitely be classed as "left-wing", but I have more in common with a libertarian than I would with someone like Stalin, and someone like Stalin would have more in common with someone like Hitler than with me.

I would be classed as a left-winger but, aside from the fact that I'm generally highly-suspicious of the free-market and am anti-capitalist, I would broadly-speaking agree with you on the other issues. I am an anarchist in the traditional meaning, I oppose authority as a concept and believe that you have the freedom to do as you wish provided you are not harming others, but also do not consider property ownership to be an absolute right.

The closest I think I've come to finding a political philosophy that fits with what I believe is Mutualism. Essentially, it doesn't advocate a complete lack of property ownership, but it does say that you can't just stick a flag in a piece of land and call it yours for eternity. I'm not sure if I 100% agree with everything in there (I don't consider theft as an evil act if you're stealing something a person doesn't need and which you do need), but I think it's fairly close in concept.

Kat:
I think that act of theft is breaching of personal rights of other people to own things they acquire in legitimate way. There are charities and other organisations that can help people in need without them resorting to go against the approved legal system, though I think it's the government's role to think of more comprehensive solutions to problems than deal with stuff that non-governmental organisations and private people manage. I call it delegation.

I plan either to pass whatever I acquire in prospective life to my closest relative (perhaps not children, but maybe to my younger sibling) in case I die. But I aim for increasing my lifespan if the fruits of future biological breakthroughs allow me to, by centuries or even more, so I would be alarmed if I could not reliably hold on what I earned during my possible long lifespan.

Cherry Lover:

--- Quote from: Cool Kat on June 07, 2014, 08:55:28 PM ---I think that act of theft is breaching of personal rights of other people to own things they acquire in legitimate way.
--- End quote ---

Define "legitimate way". Personally, I think that all methods of obtaining property have, at their root, some sort of arbitrary or illegitimate principle behind them. Either the land was taken by force by some guy hundreds of years ago, claimed by virtue of "I stuck a flag in it first" or sold to you by someone who did one of those two things.

--- Quote ---There are charities and other organisations that can help people in need without them resorting to go against the approved legal system, though I think it's the government's role to think of more comprehensive solutions to problems than deal with stuff that non-governmental organisations and private people manage. I call it delegation.
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but charities are not always sufficient. To claim that you can just leave social welfare to charities and that everything will be fine is a laughable notion, and one that is disproven by every situation in which is it actually put into effect

Alice:
Honestly, probably the more tricky thing is defining what it means when you account for 'Murica and how much more conservative the nation is in comparison to most everyone else. ^^" I'm definitely left wing as far as 'Murica is concerned, for instance, but for all I know, elsewhere I could be more between the two. ^^" ...'Murica!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version