Author Topic: A Lesson in Magical Theory-Second Chances (A Retelling of the Fifth Holy Grail)  (Read 27699 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
So, how is the vote going on this?

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
We're going to protect Berserker's smile!

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Yep as things stand we are going to be supporting Berserker.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
More detail would be handy, I can't really vote without knowing what is going on, and finding it on BL can be a pain....

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Berserker shall be the LI, we can make it happen!

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Yeah the votes were pretty much one sided in this so I didn't think it was a big deal, here is the next part though!

Silence perforated throughout the room the only sounds leaking into the air being the slow monotonous tick of the clock and the quieted breathing of Shirou and his Servant.

“Hey Berserker, you know a whole lot about this Grail War stuff, what should a Master like myself do in order to get ready?”

A smile danced across Berserker’s face, delighted that his Master was always ready to learn about the next step. “Well my Master, sitting at home all of our days is something more befitting of the Caster class. With our combined experience it would only be a matter of time before someone found this pleasant abode, regardless of if we wanted them to do so or not. Therefore, it is my belief that perhaps we should take a stronger initiative. Therefore lowering the chance of our own base of operations being discovered while also researching into the other Masters and Servants.”

A few moments passed as Shirou attempted to translate Berserker’s long-winded explanation as a puzzled expression danced across his face. “So, you mean to go out and patrol, or something?”

“Yes! Precisely!” His eyes shut in glee and his grin got even larger as Berserker’s sudden remark made Shirou jump back in slight surprise.

Shirou had made up his mind, reaching towards his cellphone that lie on the desk a few feet away he returned the reply to Berserker. “Oh, uh alright. I was thinking about going to work today but because of the past few days I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if I took the day off.”

He quickly began to press the buttons on his phone until he came across the familiar name sketched onto the screen.

*Shinto General Hospital*

Quickly pressing the call button he waited a few seconds as Berserker looked in curiosity at the strange device.

“Hello, may I speak to Dr. Midori?... Yes this is Nosuke… Alright thank you…”

As Shirou began to explain his situation to the hospital Berserker took out a small blank notebook from within a pouch at his side and began to quickly write down a few notes muttering the occasional nonsensical word as he went.

“Yes, I’m really sorry about this… Yes I’ll do my best… Thank you for your concern… No I don’t think that’s necessary… Alright I’ll see you in a few days… Goodbye.”

Finishing up his call Shirou turned towards Berserker who was still rapidly writing into his notebook.

“Perhaps… No no it would need more angle… But what if?... Towards the center?...”

Unsure about whether to interrupt or not, Shirou set down his cellphone and quietly snuck around Berserker’s unmoving figure as he began to get ready for the patrol ahead of them.

After taking a quick shower, and doing various other morning rituals, his pajamas were replaced with a simple white long sleeved shirt and jeans. Winter in Fuyuki tended to last far longer compared to other cities even if it meant that the weather itself tended to be far milder. But it never hurt to be prepared in case the day was cold anyways.

Yet as he returned back to his room backpack in hand Berserker was still writing into his notebook, unaware of all the time that had passed since Shirou had left him.

Now Shirou was starting to get concerned. He had never really seen Berserker this focused on something before, he attempted to peek around the knight’s shoulder as he glanced at the notes being hastily scribbled on the parchment.

“Uh, Berserker? Are you busy? Should we postpone the patrol for later? I don’t mind, I could find something else to do until you’re ready… Berserker?”

“No no, far too simple… The colors… Shifted three more degrees?”

In between the quick motions of Berserker’s pen Shirou could make out odd sketches that seemed familiar. Glancing around the room Shirou realized that the designed and notes on the paper greatly resembled that of his own cellphone. But as the sketching continued on the designs began to differ further and further from their original design. Various odd shapes and wirelike designs had been added onto it as if to add some complexity to the simplified design of the phone.

“Uh Berserker? Berserker!”

Knocking on the great steel plates that protected Berserker’s body, Berserker finally reacted to the interruption towards his thoughts.

“Hmm? Master, is something amiss? Have your finished your message?”

‘He must not be aware of all the time that has passed. Still, it was interesting to see a new side to him, so I’ll leave it at that.’

As the knight turned to face his Master once more, Shirou responded. “Yeah, I should be fine now, I’ve packed a small backpack full of things that might help us, shall we go on a patrol now?”

The focus disappearing from Berserker’s face his smile returned once more as he nodded. “Excellent Master! Very well then, let us go towards our patrol!”

Just before they could make their way out of the apartment, Shirou, unsure if Shinji was still in the apartment shouted towards his friend’s room about his intentions for the day. And just before he left, Shinji’s head stuck out of his door.

“Hey Nosuke! Make sure you get back by ten tonight. We still gotta plan out Saturday, that is, if you’re still up for it.”

A sudden realization had come across Shirou’s face, he had nearly forgotten about their next job. Well there was still some time before he needed to really worry about it so for now he would just keep the thought in his head and focus on the patrol.

“Don’t worry about me Shinji, I’ll see you then.”

Thus with a final wave of goodbye, the Master and Servant left the quiet apartment and into the busy streets of the bustling city below.

The young boy with fiery red hair and eyes of green watched out of the large glass windows as the plane on the runway in front of him began to ascend off the runway and into the large clear sky.

He continued to watch, eyes on unblinking as the plane eventually faded from view and into the sky.

He continued to watch his face unemotional and unmoving even as the plane was long gone from the sky and the terminal had emptied of people leaving only himself and his associate.

“Young Master Archibald… Shall we be going now? I think it would be best if we begun our own preparations as well.”

“I suppose… I must continue my studies regardless... Leave the preparations to Caster… Continue your daily duties… We still have a week until we are to arrive.”

“But young Master…”

“Silence… This War is under my own domain and not yours. It will do your best to keep that in mind. Understood?”

“As you say, young Master. As you say…”

The two quickly left the terminal and back towards their residences near the clock tower.

As Shirou calmly walked through the busy streets he couldn’t help but wonder about the invisible man walking beside him.

‘Berserker? Is there anywhere specific you wanted to go? You’re a ghost right? So this new world must be amazing to someone like you right?’

‘Yes, indeed Master. Though the Grail has already given me the knowledge of the current world it still amazes me to see certain things first hand. Those horseless carriages for example. If we would have had those during my time, things would have gone far better!’

Turning the corner Shirou began to approach the center of the city. In his mind the best course of action for them right now was to get a good view of the city as a whole, maybe then Berserker might be able to help plan a course of action for them.

And as they walked they passed alleyway after darkened alleyway. Shortcuts or paths to hidden locations out of sight from the public who walked close by, Shirou would occasionally glance towards these paths only to freeze with Berserker as he approached one such alleyway.

‘So you sense it too, Master?’

In the dark open alleyway stood a girl who was leaning on the nearby brick wall. She stared at Shirou her hand open and outstretched and plain for him to see. Through the dim shadows a pale red shown forth a clear mark that Shirou understood all too well.

“Is that Tohsaka?”

It had been a few years since Shirou had seen her, their graduation in fact. But her thick black hair and aqua eyes were still strong in his mind.

Shirou began to walk towards the alley but was stopped by Berserker’s invisible body who stood in his way.

‘Master, something seems off. I have a bad feeling about this. Please  do not go on there. I am afraid you might never come back out.’

These words made Shirou halter, what did Berserker mean?

‘Berserker, that’s one of my old acquaintances from when I was in school. Why would I doubt her?’

But still the second doubts were already flooding Shirou’s mind. Why was Tohsaka in that alleyway and motioning for him to come forwards. Should he listen to her? Or listen to his Servant?

1. Go towards Tohsaka
2. Listen to Berserker and leave
3. Write in...

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
I say 1. go towards Rin. Rin is someone who is likely to be a good ally, plus she's Sakura sister and, thus, will hopefully prevent Shirou doing anything horrible to her.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
1. Go towards Tohsaka: TheMegas, Mike1984
2. Listen to Berserker and leave:
3. Face Tohsaka, shake head, and motion for her to come instead: Council, Bdoom, G-Man

Things seem pretty tied right now, it really could go either way.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Four new votes for three, Let's go berserker good end!

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Berserker seems inclined to kill other masters, and Sakura is another master, so I'm not interested in a "Berserker good end".

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
I feel like moving slightly quicker this time around:

Current Results:

1. Go towards Tohsaka: TheMegas, Mike1984
2. Listen to Berserker and leave:
3. Face Tohsaka, shake head, and motion for her to come instead: Council, Bdoom, G-Man, mAc Chaos, Sinon, Nihilm, Nuclear Consensus

I think unless we get some huge votes within the next twelve hours or so that I'll end voting then. So let's say midnight tonight CST time.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Honestly, I'm inclined to think that option 3 is better anyway, thinking about it. No-one really bothers discussing stuff on here, though....

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Oi, I was busy arguing for berserker's happiness, I can't do that here!

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Expect the next part sometime before Friday!

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
What reason was there to trust her? How many years has it been since I had seen my former idol? No, there was no way I could agree to just walking straight into the dark corner of an alley in order to fall into some sort of trap.

Yes if anything I should be the one demanding she come towards me. But then, something seems odd.

Why won’t my hand move?

All I have to do is stick my hand out and signal for her to come towards me. Just that one simple motion would be enough to convey my intent.

‘Come towards me Tohsaka...’

That’s odd, my mouth doesn’t want to speak either, to make matters worse it was as if my entire body had been buried in cement. No matter what I tried, it stayed still.

Come to think of it… Was Tohsaka really that bad? Sure we had not seen in other in years, but she never seemed that ruthless.

If that’s the case why not go towards that alley?

‘Yes… That seems like a nice idea…’

Just a few more steps, and I will be able to talk to my good friend Rin Tohsaka, a friend who means no ill will towards me. Three steps to go…

‘...ster...’

Two more steps and I will be able to talk face to face in this nice and quiet alleyway with my best friend Tohsaka…

‘...aster...’

Just a few more seconds… It really has been a while hasn’t it Tohsaka? I don’t remember your eyes being so beautiful…

“Master! Listen to me!”

Who is this annoying knight that’s standing in my way of Tohsaka? Move man, I gotta see Tohsaka…

“Tohsaka…”

“A hypnotic spell? Curses, why was I so naive? Many apologies Master but I fear this to be the only option.”

Taking his leather book from a side pouch, Berserker who had materialized in front of his Master quickly raised the book in front of him. And slapped his Master clear across the face with his great strength, sending him flying clear across the sidewalk and through a couple of pedestrians who were passing by.

It was as if his entire head was on fire, his mind was screaming multiple different things at him and he couldn’t take it. All he knew was that his body had been thrown and that was all.

“W-what’s going on?”

As the scene around him began to come into view, he could see multiple people standing around staring at him with confused looks.

“Sorry, Master but I will explain later. For now we must retreat with all do haste!”

Berserker quickly ran over towards the fallen Shirou and easily lifted him with his one arm before buckling his knees and jumping high into the air cracking the concrete below with the pure force of his jump and throwing back the nearby people who began to scatter in a panic.

“You know what to do Archer.”

“I suppose, as long as it entertains me it won’t even take ten strikes to finish them off.”

“Oh really now? If you think you can do it in ten so easily, why not five? That should be well within your capabilities isn’t that so, oh great king?”

“You dare to underestimate me? How foolish can you be? Well whatever, as long as it proves entertaining…”

When he reached the first rooftop Berserker halted for just an instant to get grip on his bearings.

His Master was still greatly dazed by the influence of the spell and would be of little use, that left Berserker on his own. He had to escape, before that other Master’s Servant appeared, cursing himself for being so foolish as to believe others would obey the rules and attack only in the night he lept from the ten story office building onto a nearby apartment complex.

He never expected it. How could he?

Just before he touched the ground, he could tell something was very wrong, the air was far too quiet. But it was already too late, with all his might he threw the boy he held onto the roof of the building just as the air was sliced in two.

Berserker grimaced in pain as the invisible weapon shot through his arm tearing through the solid metal armor and sending a wave of blood into the air.

“H-hoW dARe yOu!”

Before Berserker could even scream in pain, he sent his body rolling across the rooftop as another blade sliced through the armor in his leg sending another trail of blood rolling along with Berserker.

Before he had even finished his rolling escape his silver sword materialized and he struck at the air sending the third invisible blade out of his path and into the roof.

Taking the small instant of time he had Berserker stood back up and charged the direction he believed the enemy Servant was located.

“Is THAT aLL YoU Can MUsteR?”

Holding his great sword in his free hand he easily smashed into the trajectory of the fourth weapon sending the flying blade ricocheting harmlessly into the air.

“AAAAHHHH!!”

Only to freeze in his tracks when his Master began to scream. Turning to face the boy he realized his mistake.

Though the blade that had struck Shirou could not be seen the gaping hole in his arm and the bleeding was evidence enough.

His foe had made the attack nonlethal but such mercy would not last forever.

By turning to face the new Servant in his rage Berserker had neglected to protect his own Master. And now the foe had him at a checkmate and Berserker knew it without having to be told as such.

If he charged the Servant’s hidden location his Master would be skewered, but if he protected his Master he could not protect his own body in his weakened state.

As such, Berserker had only one option before him. Something he dreaded above all else, but could quite possibly save both himself and his Master.

‘I am sorry Master but I have no choice, I must leave you now, remember all that I have told you. I do not know when we can talk again… But I will promise you victory at any cost!’

Shirou’s body was on fire, the pain burned throughout his body and his left arm felt like it had just been hit by a truck. Something in his head told him he needed to get up and move but his body wouldn’t listen.

It took all of his strength just to open his eyes, and what he saw put his mind into a panic. Berserker was bleeding badly, his armor had been pierced in multiple locations, and it looked as if he was having trouble breathing.

But what made him worry above all of that was the knight’s face.

A hatred above anything Shirou had even seen was enveloping his Servant’s face. A sickly pale white was enveloping his skin while his eyes and teeth began to bulge out into grotesque proportions while the skin on his forehead began to grow like a huge bubble growing under his skin.

Still dazed Shirou was not sure what was happening to Berserker, but he knew it was no good. He had to stop it at all costs, he couldn’t allow his Servant to finish this transformation at any cost.

But something was stopping Shirou from doing so. His trust that Berserker always knew the correct course of action was greater than anything else he felt towards the knight. Why should he stop him when it seemed he knew what he was doing?

1. Stop Berserker’s transformation at any cost.
2. Allow Berserker to transform.
3. Write in...