Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 309462 times)

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #7320 on: May 21, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »
Yeah it changes on a genetic level. i forgot. But when are eggs produced I forgot. If they were produced preworm rape then she'd have black hair and so such if they were produced post worm rape then they will be puple though I think they are produced very early on in life so I belive that Mike would be right and the child wouldn't be a purplehead.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: May 21, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »
Yeah you made a few OC sakura and Shirou kids right mike?

One of them had shadow swords right?

Well due to the hair colour think it seems like you don't believe in lamarkian genetic inheritance but both shirou's sword powers and sakura's shadow powers were kind of gained via modification and not their original genetic stance. Also aren't the powers a kid gets pretty random in Nasuverse lore beyond crest inhertance. So my only advice to you is try not to draw too much from the parent's power set unless you use some crest stuff. If it is a newly founded crest those things are kind of terribly so if you do have inhertance via crest the abilities they should be pretty nerfed as it takes multiple generations for a magic crest to get any good.

The swords are not due to an origin or anything, he is just good at creating things in general (not by projection, he uses ether), and fighting like his father is a natural approach. As for the shadow powers, no, Sakura's shadow magic is actually her natural alignment, it's not something Zouken pushed onto her. And, yes, Sakura's kids all have a crest she created for them. It's not amazing, but it allows them to use Sakura's magic, because that is what a Crest does (it stores copies of the spells that person created, and spells created by all previous family members who had added to the Crest).

I will admit that IIRC (I'd have to check the sheet) I have given at least one of the kids shadow as part of their elemental affinity, but the inheritance of elemental affinities is not clear. Some families (the Matou, for example) do have a fixed elemental affinity, others seem not to. So, there is a fair amount of flexibility there, I feel. And, neither of the kids have binding as their family trait, they are both fundamentally Tohsaka mages.

Also in regards to "her natural color", Sakura's body was changed on a genetic level by Zouken. For that reason, in procreational biology, her "natural" hair color would (now) be  considered purple.

Where does it say that?

Biology simply does not work like that, you cannot change a person's genetics and have them survive, plus there is no such thing as "Matou genetics". Plus, as Gray said, eggs are made prior to birth.

So, no, sorry, but I'm going with "they're Tohsakas rather than Matous".
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:12:20 PM by Cherry Lover »

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
Also the whole being a successful magus for the grail war thing? It cause Kayneth though it was going to be a war between magi, not a war between killers. Also Zouken was a great magus, he just chose a poor method to preserve himself really.

This. Notice how Kayneth announced himself so he and the Einzbern master could duel.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:09:17 PM by Umbra of Chaos »

Brahmastra

« Reply #7323 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
Shadow isn't an Elemental Affinity Mike. You have one of the 4 Elements or you're an Average One. Imaginary Numbers (Shadow) is a Sorcery Trait; Sakura's Elemental Affinity is Water.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: May 21, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
Shadow isn't an Elemental Affinity Mike. You have one of the 4 Elements or you're an Average One. Imaginary Numbers (Shadow) is a Sorcery Trait; Sakura's Elemental Affinity is Water.

Erm, nope.

Sakura's birth affinity is Imaginary Numbers. Water is what was forced onto her by the Matous. Tokiomi even says so in Zero.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
Also, Zouken is not a great magus. If he were he would not be a rotting pile of worms....

Dude, he maintained his bishie self for 300 years. Only older non-Apostle magi are Acht, Araya and the Director of Clock Tower. And he invented Command Spell system.

Brahmastra

« Reply #7326 on: May 21, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »
Uh, no.

At birth, Sakura lacked any elemental alignments.

Fate/Zero - Volume 4, Act 12, Part 3

One of them [Rin] has all elements, having five multiple elements as her alignment. The other [Sakura] has no elemental alignments, having Imaginary Numbers only. Both sisters have a rare potential that can be equated to miracles.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: May 21, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
Uh, no.

At birth, Sakura lacked any elemental alignments.

Fate/Zero - Volume 4, Act 12, Part 3

One of them [Rin] has all elements, having five multiple elements as her alignment. The other [Sakura] has no elemental alignments, having Imaginary Numbers only. Both sisters have a rare potential that can be equated to miracles.

Erm, no, Sakura has no elemental alignments. It's pretty clear from how that is written that Imaginary Numbers is also an alignment.

But, regardless, it's irrelevant. Whatever you want to call it, at birth she possessed Shadow magic and not Water magic, which is what I was saying. Water as an alignment was added later by Zouken.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: May 21, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »
Erm, nope.

Sakura's birth affinity is Imaginary Numbers. Water is what was forced onto her by the Matous. Tokiomi even says so in Zero.

As Brah says it is a sorcery trait, and even if it was not you cannot pass an 'element' though a crest. You pass down knowledge. Unless you have a fitting element or origin your ability to use the abilities in the crest would probably be limited.

Brahmastra

« Reply #7329 on: May 21, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »
Alignment
What determines what kind of properties a magus' magic is going to be likely to have, or what kind of magic the magus is going to have good chemistry with, is going to be the element aligned with the magus.

In addition to the five great elements of earth, water, fire, wind, and sky, there's the imaginary elements of Hollow and Nothing, for a number of seven.

CM3

I don't see Imaginary Numbers on that list, Mike.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
Erm, nope.

As Brah says it is a sorcery trait, and even if it was not you cannot pass an 'element' though a crest. You pass down knowledge. Unless you have a fitting element or origin your ability to use the abilities in the crest would probably be limited.

That seems unlikely, because if it were true then the Tohsaka Crest would be of very little use to anyone other than Rin. It is certainly not clear, in any case, so I intend to continue using my own interpretation.

Alignment
What determines what kind of properties a magus' magic is going to be likely to have, or what kind of magic the magus is going to have good chemistry with, is going to be the element aligned with the magus.

In addition to the five great elements of earth, water, fire, wind, and sky, there's the imaginary elements of Hollow and Nothing, for a number of seven.

CM3

I don't see Imaginary Numbers on that list, Mike.

Erm, "imaginary elements". Sound familiar...?

And, like I said, I don't care. My point is that Sakura had Imaginary Numbers from birth and not Water. What you call it does not matter one damn bit for this discussion.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
Magicians preserve knowledge through crests. Preserving the knowledge of the family and adding to it is more important than being able to use it. And even then, they still act as additional circuits, and in turn increase the ability of the magus which possess them.

Imaginary elements is something very specific, a category 2 specific elements apply to. Completely different from Sakura's Imaginary Numbers, which is a sorcery trait which specializes vs ether constructs such as spirits.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:23:18 PM by Knick »

Brahmastra

« Reply #7332 on: May 21, 2014, 09:23:09 PM »
Erm, "imaginary elements". Sound familiar...?

And, like I said, I don't care. My point is that Sakura had Imaginary Numbers from birth and not Water. What you call it does not matter one damn bit for this discussion.

Numbers =/= Elements.

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
Well iirc Sakura has it as a general affinity sourcery trait or no.

Also I thought sorcery traits were inherited and passed down through families like Bazzet's god's holder trait that the fraga have (unless I'm misremembering canon).

So I thought it was just a mutated elemental affinity that was born through chance.

Also Mike while you're pretty much a sakura expert I think you might be a little wrong about the magic she uses. She was corrupted and influenced by angra manyu and it was a combination of agnra mainyu, matou binding magic with Sakura's imaginary number trait at best creating material. Regardless the things you see her do in HF are pretty warped versions of her magic if they do represent it and the children would have something pretty different even with use of a crest.

How are crests made in canon again? I think a mage rips out their own magic circuits and permanently imbues spells into them so that over the generations it would grow slowly. (this is probably some incorrect fanon so please show me the lore books if the mention them).

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: May 21, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »
Imaginary Elements
Hollow: The alignment that Sakura was born with. Defined, in magery, as that "which is possible but is not in the physical plane". Also called imaginary numbers.
Nothing: Like Hollow, the alignment of an imaginary element. In magery, defined as that "which is not possible, but materializes". Has a different meaning that the "nothing" of physics and math.