Type Moon > General Discussion

Hair colours

<< < (2/2)

KAIZA:

--- Quote from: lantzblades on July 24, 2015, 07:24:23 PM ---Ultimately hair colour means less than zero, look at evangelion.
--- End quote ---
Actually, I think in Evangelion it did have a purpose. Rei's blue hair is supposed to stand out, from our point of view, since she was supposed to feel unnatural to the audience. Pale skin, red eyes, blue hair...everyone else in the cast has a natural hair color (Ritsuko if I remember correctly was supposed to be dyed, and you can make a case that Misato's hair is supposed to represent black). Did it have any purpose in the grand scheme of the plot? Maybe not, but at least it made sense from a design point of view (plus, it's still aesthetically pleasing...even though that still goes against the intended purpose)

Elf:
And wasn't Auska of mixed race too?  Which would explain her red hair.

lantzblades:
Well actually I was thinking of Ritsuko's mother and the contrasting fact that Kaworu and Rei are both supposed to be albino but Rei has colour in her hair while Kaworu doesn't. Asuka is a non starter cause she's German / Japanese.

Regardless my greater point stands, even if it was artistic expression representing naturally occurring colours then, it sure isn't now. Purple hair is definitely supposed to be purple in modern anime.

Cherry Lover:

--- Quote from: lantzblades on August 22, 2015, 11:18:02 PM ---Regardless my greater point stands, even if it was artistic expression representing naturally occurring colours then, it sure isn't now. Purple hair is definitely supposed to be purple in modern anime.
--- End quote ---

I think it probably varies depending on the anime, honestly. Something set in a less "normal" world may well have more exotic "real" hair colours. Something set in normal Japan you'd have to wonder about.

Elf:
Parasite actually has fairly realistic hair colors for all of its characters.  Everyone either has black, brown, or subtle auburn hair in that show.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version