Author Topic: Swole City  (Read 13539 times)

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Re: Swole City
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
Roman

For a moment, the world seemed to slow.  Even the grunts of the body builders around them quieted, leaving only the moment.  It was the kind of second in time that a person intuitively knew would be important no matter the outcome.

"Can you teach me, just enough that I can train on my own?" Roman asked.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2020, 08:35:04 PM »
Yusho

Yusho's contemplative look slowly split into a fond smile. But his stare lost none of its edge, nor did his brows soften even in the sensitivity of the moment. He answered plainly, but an ardent wind was in it. "I certainly can, but learning anything useful will be up to you! I was starting to wonder if you'd ask - I can't do miracles on my own. However, before we begin I have one more question."

"Are you certain you want strength? The kind that I help you nurture may not make for the easiest way to live." The dragon-blooded crossed his arms and stepped closer to the younger man. His voice trailed not like a teacher reading from a book, but like an elder speaking to a junior.

"The way I see it, the strong with even an inch of morals have a responsibility to the weak. And so long as you're strong, regardless of your wishes you will be called upon to exercise that strength. Simply possessing the potential will draw you into all manner of conflict, and from the moment you desire power, you are complicit in this cycle. You may gain the ability to choose, and to force choice, but only honesty and restraint can change an ill put in motion."
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »
Roman

"And what did you sacrifice?"

Roman stared at the man with wide eyes, his breathing silent.  The young man held onto those words with all the weight one would their very life.  The words of the strong were just as powerful as their fists.  After all, that was the nature of the world.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2020, 03:25:27 AM »
Yusho

It was like Roman entered the eye of the storm. Yusho's own breath stilled, and his gaze fled to the side before recentering itself on the younger man. "Friendships that should have lasted me a life. The ability to live quietly and enjoy the honors allotted to my blood. My eye. The peace to be satisfied with what the world is."

He chuckled, and the moment passed. The dragon-blooded stepped forward and hooked an arm around Roman's shoulders, shaking him vigorously. "Not satisfied with just answering, were you, you had to throw a question back at me? Precocious lad. If I was still a monk, that might have earned you a hit from the ruler!"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:30:10 AM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
Roman

Roman felt a chill come over his body, but it left as quickly as it came.  The sensation was like a sudden gust of wind.  Before he had time to really think about it, he found himself being rattled by the old man, shaken out of whatever strange feeling came over him.

"Sorry, sorry!" he said, resisting the urge to cover the back of his head.  "But I had to know!  I needed to know what I could lose!"

Although, now his resolve was as strong as ever.  After all, if his experience was like this guy's, then there could be no possible drawbacks.  How can you lose dear friends if you have none?

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »
Yusho

Yusho had a faint impression that wasn't all of it. That something was hollow about the young man's affirmation. But for now, it would do. He nodded, letting go of Roman with a solid pat to his back. He responded sharply, "I understand. I still expect you to reflect, but for now I'll accept your humble yes. Mark these words."

The dragon-blooded walked out towards the grass, and the air rose into a dignified frenzy around him. Leaves and dirt flew as he made a martial salute towards the younger man.

"From this moment forward, we are instructor and student, with all that entails. That flabby posture and those thin arms are going to be made of steel in the future! Ah, you don't need to call me master, but I will put you over the rakes if you skimp, Roman."

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
Roman

The pat on the back was a little strong, knocking him a few steps forward.  His gaze was focused on the ground, only to look up at the old man walking along the grass.  Leaves and dirt flew around them, as if the world was calling to him.  A smile crept onto Roman's face as he stepped out of that marble park gym.

"Yes sir," he said, trying to hold back a laugh.  For some reason, he felt undeniably happy in that moment.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
Yusho

"We'll start right now, then!" He declared, losing the dignified stiffness of the salute in an instant.

Yusho stretched on the spot, looking to Roman in expectation while he worked the soreness off each of his limbs, then gestured to the closest path on the park. Before teaching how to throw a single punch, he needed to better gauge the man's starting point.

"Physical conditioning is the basis of all combat training, so let's go for a run. I'll take it easy on you."

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
Roman

"Oh goddamn it," he said, staring at Yusho before running behind him.  "Not again."

How the hell did this happen?

Roman sat opposite to the old man, their table lined with a glass of water, silverware and a cute little floral pattern.  According to Roman's phone, it was the absolute cheapest place in the area.  That wasn't saying much considering this district was filled with juiced up rich boys with access to the finest supplements known to man.  Even at the supposed cheapest place in town, the recipies had been adjusted to include more protein and electrolytes for more efficient recovery and muscle building.  To think he would have to shell out another meal's worth of money.

"I take it you don't eat much?"

Please say yes.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2020, 04:39:49 AM »
Yusho

Yusho rubbed his hands together, shuffling his fingers between each other, as his eyes flew from cutlery to cutlery. He cleared his throat before answering. "I'm actually quite fond of eating well, but, I don't want to overdo it. Truth be told, I was thinking of just getting some ramen. It's true I'm famished though, so I'll be taking advantage of this. Thanks for your patience."

He chuckled unashamedly. "I'll cook something for you another time. It should be helpful when you start suffering from the real deal."

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2020, 02:21:04 AM »
Roman

Roman chuckled, trying to hide his apprehension in how genuinely funny the whole situation was, even if it was at his own expense.  The Raman costs about as much as a full on meal!  I could get a burrito for this money!  Wait, why didn't I go for texmex?!

"Wait you cook too?" he asked, genuinely surprised.  He assumed this guy was just a weird jock monk or something.  Clearly he was more sensitive than Roman originally thought.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2020, 02:30:31 AM »
Yusho

"It's a necessity when you travel alone," he chuckled. "And a valuable skill for many reasons, besides. Like making friends, bribery, offerings... though I suppose my former colleagues wouldn't approve of how much seasoning I use."

Yusho twirled the fork in his hand into a faint blur, before he set it down with a click. And looked wryly to Roman. "Not much of a chef yourself?"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:34:20 AM by YOLF »

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2020, 02:59:34 AM »
Roman

Roman sighed and said, "I mean I can feed myself, but I wouldn't call myself a chef or anything.  I had no idea you could bribe people with food...."

The man stared at the old man.  He wasn't some monster and throughout their time together, it did not seem like he was a monster or mutant.  Mages weren't known for their desire to get fit either, so what was he?  "Can I ask a question?"

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:35 AM »
Yusho

Yusho hummed in return, thinking of what else he would have the chance to cram into this man. "There's some things I'd like to ask you too, since we have the time, but go ahead. What is it?"

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:46 AM »
Roman

"Your a supernatural right?"

Before Yusho could respond, the waiter returned, a cart holding two plates.  On one end, the raman, on the other, a plate of meat.  "Give me a moment," the waiter said, placing the raman on Yusho's side of the table.  He turned around, grabbed the other plate and rested it on Roman's side.  "Enjoy!"