Author Topic: Cross Effects 3.0 - June 23, 2016—April 02, 2018  (Read 42951 times)

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Vanguard

Vanguard smiled earnestly at her answer and acknowledged it. one could always find some modicum of wisdom, especially in those closer to the ground than you. After all, being lowly merely means one can pick and observe the roots better than anyone else.

In that case, being young and inexperienced would be no less of an advantage than possessing experience. Rather, both had advantages and disadvantages. Still, wasn't her answer a little naive?

"You wound me." He said calmly, nodding before wandering his eyes to the sky. "It was a good answer though, but just because you are correct doesn't mean you're right. But that naivety of yours... I don't dislike it."

Suddenly, his stomach grumbled, and Vanguard reminded himself bitterly that he did not eat at all. Damn that puppet, ungrateful and selfish. He pouted and gave that bowl of rice and beans a peeved look.

"You're going to finish that, right?"

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
Meti

She frowned a bit at the sound of his stomach and question before taking out an empty bowl and putting half of her meal into it. Then she raised the bowl up to him. "Here. Eat this. But you're gonna have to pay me back later, okay?" The guy was still pretty weird, but Meti knew what it felt like to be hungry.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile

Anastasia

So, if he didn't hate her, did that mean that he liked her? Well, if he didn't mind her tagging along, then she could give this 'dating' thing or whatever he meant a try. "Fine, but should I change into something else? I'm not working anymore today after all." She pointed out the fact that she was still in her employee uniform. If she had to change, then he would have to wait for her.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile

Mitsuba

"Oh, some show off mutant?  I won't be surprised if there's a bounty on such thing. Doesn't sound like something that the society would miss." She wouldn't be actually surprised if she ever got a contract to eliminate something like that. People were generally annoyed by blatant supernaturals like that. "And I will start looking for our potential client as soon as I can."

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Vanguard

Vanguard was surprised, he did not expect her to accept. It was honestly strange, he had only asked because he wanted to see how she'd react, there was nothing to gain from this. Ah, he understood. She did ask for repayment. This made things simpler. Hesitant for a bit, he picked the bowl and sat.

"Thank you." He answered mechanically before eating. He was still annoyed about the prior events. The food, albeit nourishing, only felt bitter to him. There is an expression he had heard once: Old World Blues. It referred to people so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. Of course, he knew that, but...

He glanced to the strange man, then to the lady, then back to his plate and smiled bitterly.

"Say, what do you think is strength?"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:10:11 PM by francobull3 »

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile
Michael

The immortal couldn't help a smirk at the strange sight before him, as the burned girl gave the old man some of her leftovers. He could practically feel the melancholy radiating from him as they tucked away the food, the immortal sitting down as well, figuring he had nothing better to do at the moment. The man's question gave him a moment's pause, however, Michael wary of the layered meanings.

"Useless without the skill to wield it and the wisdom to know when to use it," Michael said, "But all the same, to me it's been a matter of being in charge of my own path. I'd imagine your impression is different."
[8:49:50 AM] Daniel Mahan: He can still get RAEG
[8:49:52 AM] Daniel Mahan: Just better at not loosing his marbles over it.
[8:50:09 AM] Helligator:> losing his marbles over it
                                      I seeeee what you did there

[11:00:22 PM] francobull III: elf, will you do rin?
[11:00:33 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I would love to do Rin!
[11:00:39 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I'd bend her over and . . .
[11:00:45 PM] francobull III: woah woah

francobulli'd - Today at 4:53 PM
i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh

Sakura Today at 7:09 PM
don't see anything that triggers my gm senses

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Shirou

Amateur? Shirou thought, wondering what the teenage girl could possibly mean by that.

As she continued to talk, though, she both gave him a hint and confused him further, mentioning something called "Pokemon", which Shirou had never heard of.

"No, sorry, I've never heard of them", he said. "What are they?"

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
Meti

Meti ran her hand down the length of her blade. A clumsy person might have cut their hand on its sharpened edge, but her hand remained unmarred. Wow, these guys seemed really... talkative? Meti didn't spend a lot of time thinking about what strength really was. "Well, I guess strength would just be a how fit you are for the task of cutting down your opponent. Strength only has meaning when you oppose something. If you are in conflict with nothing then whether you're 'strong' or 'weak' is irrelevant. Only an opponent defines what strength is to you."

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
Rafalia Tredecim

She stared at the exchange, seeing the sparks jump between them and light fires in their egos before she moved. A heartless smile stretching over her cheeks at the soul which she saw now flickering about the avatar of darkness like a bonfire. He had claimed no desires with which to move mountains, but his will against fear and chaos said otherwise. In truth, he wanted to be a hero, didn't he?

She skipped out of cover, moving before Methuselah in three resounding steps, turning her gaze to the opposition. "Come on, don't be such a grump. Both of you," she said, hands clasped behind her back. "Though, you really don't care about whatever gets lost or hurt, hm?"

Rafalia was a hunter who had walked the realms of dream and the ways without sun, who had shot down ideas and men and things which knew not death like men alike. She knew a predator when she laid eyes on one, when she felt the intellect and want without the lies or compulsions of morality. And was there better prey for a hero than one which did not speak their language while sharing their words?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:26:10 AM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Shirou

Amateur? Shirou thought, wondering what the teenage girl could possibly mean by that.

As she continued to talk, though, she both gave him a hint and confused him further, mentioning something called "Pokemon", which Shirou had never heard of.

"No, sorry, I've never heard of them", he said. "What are they?"

Oka Kurosawa

"They're only the biggest and newest craze in the Nexus!" Oka proclaimed boldly. "They're both pets and bodyguards, both cute and adorable but also able to deal with a myriad of problems. And they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, to boot!"

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Vanguard

Vanguard's smile turned more genuine at their words. Both answers were correct in their own way, in that case what could settle it? What was true strength? Was there even such a thing as true strength? Was someone who would easily trample on others, even his own ideals, truly stronger than one who could fearlessly restrain oneself and protect her her friends? Was the willingness to protect one's love not stronger than the mere brute power to impose one's own?

If that was the case, could he truly call himself strong? Of course not, but he had never pretended otherwise. He had no illusion, the man called Vanguard was surely not a strong man. He had denied it countless times, but he knew better than anyone just how true it was, of course he'd lash out. Against the world, against others, but most of all against himself.

He was weak, truly weak, so weak he could not even protect a little girl on a whim. But even if he was the weakest man in the world, it didn't mean others were stronger. That weakness of his, it was because of that pathetic side of his that he would never truly lose. For you see, once you have lost all you have to lose, victory and defeat don't look so different anymore.

It all comes down to the glass being half full or half empty. He smiled and gave the girl a pat on the head.

"I think being strong is just to not give up. If you truly want something, surely that will will turn into strength, into power. Heroes in literature often face impossible odds thanks to their will. Wouldn't it be convenient if it was so simple? If all you had to do was wish for something from the bottom of your heart, to follow your path and reach for the stars."

Vanguard closed his eyes and sighed, looking past buildings and staring at the horizon blankly for a while. Yes, if spirit was what made one truly strong, then by all means he should have been invincible. The fact he did not manage to save those he loved meant that he did not truly wish to save them, perhaps they were never truly loved to begin with.

In that case then surely he should have never been a hero.

"Sorry, I've been rambling again. Surely you have better than to listen to the ramblings of a boring old man. You seem like the sort who speaks much better with a blade in hand."

Stretching, he gobbled the contents of the bowl in one go and stared at her cart blankly. Were these all her victories? For such a young age, it was a feat that could not easily be ignored.

"I look forward to witnessing it, that strength of yours. It sounds a bit rude, but I would like to become your friend, and I would like you to become mine. I can offer money and shelter, if you ask for it I will even share my knowledge. But I will only promise one thing. With me, you will become someone who can cut even the gods."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:19:37 AM by Umbra of Chaos »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Shirou

Shirou rolled his eyes momentarily at the obvious advertising slogan. Nevertheless, her next words had him interested. He knew Sakura would love to have a pet to look after, and anything which could help them fight would be extremely beneficial. And, despite the fact that the girl was obviously not Sakura, Shirou couldn't help but find himself inclined to trust her, particularly since she seemed nice enough.

"Oh, really?" he said, obviously interested. "Sakura would love a pet, and we could do with a companion who could fight alongside us."

Rider

Rider smiiled sweetly at Sakura, wrapping her arms around her beloved master as she noticed the man glancing between them in confusion.

"Yes, of course, master", she responded, equally cheerfully.

Then, she sat and listened to the conversation between Ron and Sakura, the man claiming to be somewhat of a handyman. At first, she expected Sakura to reject his services in favour of Shirou but, to her surprise, she actually offered work.

Oh, is there something Shirou doesn't want to do? she asked over their mental link.

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Medaka Kurokami

Medaka finally turned to face Shinobu. With a gentle smile she said, "Yes.  I am fine.  The regeneration is rather handy.  I regret not being able to take my soul back.  Everything was... unexpected.  However, I am glad you were there.  I don't know what I would have done otherwise."

With that, the Elder vampire eased up her body language and offered her blood.  Medaka's pupils dilated.  Her mouth instinctively overflowed with saliva.  She wiped her mouth with her sleeve.  "Are you sure?  You're not still mad?"  She whispered back, giving her a look akin to a guilty child who was just given a present.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
Meti

Hmm. What he said about strength didn't sound too wrong either. She hadn't given up either. But idle thought was chased away by the far more important benefits of shelter and food. Yeah, those were pretty good. But... what would someone like him know about cutting?

Her family had a saying about cutting. 'A man who strikes without thought of his action can cut God.' So what did this man understand of the principal art of Cutting? "Sorry. I hope you don't mind, but I have to see for myself, y'know."

She moved her sword. A casual, thoughtless motion. There wasn't a hint of killing intent, not even the slightest notion that would betray her, for she struck without thought. And that carelessly moving blade would sever the silver haired man's head from his body if he did not stop it.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Vanguard

If that girl struck without thought, one could call the man before her her antithesis. Perhaps this was the reason, the reason he could not win. He had always been a man who thought, who felt too much. He was not a man bound by instinct or nature. Every movement, every breath, even the beating of his heart was a thought, calculated action.

This was both his greatest weakness, and his greatest strength. No instinct bound him, no abrupt movement controlled him, he saw the blade for the weapon it was. It was because he was weak that he could recognize her weakness. It was surprising, he was fooled into thinking the blade merely brushed to the side, but there was no mistake. His eyes widened and without hesitation, he followed the blade, thought, and acted instantly.

In a battle between equal skills, the one with the mightiest raw ability always came on top. Strength, reach, speed, he held the advantage in all three. This was a harsh, cruel truth he carved into that girl's body, because exactly when the blade came lunging for his his neck, he punched her straight in the face with the bludgeoning force of an elephant.

She'd sprawl away like a rag doll normally, but he was feeling particularly kind at the moment, so he'd hold her arm to keep her in place.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:28:28 AM by francobull3 »