Unlimited Creativity Works > Doujin Projects

Game Development 101 2.0: The Amateur Game Developer's Playground

<< < (2/2)

Cherry Lover:
What you're suggesting is a really good idea. The problem is, though, that the effort-to-profit ratio of it is far lower than it would be for a more linear title. For one thing, allowing for genuine non-linearity with lots of flags that affect behaviour means you need to actually test every possible path the player could get on to ensure they're not going to get stuck, and testing in general is difficult (MMOs have this issue, because they have to release content more-or-less in real-time, which means they have a team of 100 or so testers trying to find bugs before millions of players do). Not to mention that, in order to make it actually feel non-linear and realistic, you have to have flags that have unpredictable effects, and also things that aren't neatly-contained, and that is extremely difficult to devise and write. Plus, of course, writing a story which most players won't see 90% of is extremely wasteful.

So, yeah, it's a good concept, but it's not one I see as likely to occur in a commercial environment, simply because they can make more money from superficial non-linearity than they can from genuine non-linearity (except, of course, for things that just lack any real story).

Phearo:
Yeah, I figure that. From a sales standpoint it honestly isn't a very good idea. Maybe if someone has enough time on their hands they can probably get the money through a kickstarter, but eh, I don't find a good end through that way, too.

(though if you pitch it to the devs of drakengard 3 there's a high chance they would do it, lol)

I also have another idea of a Multiplayer fighting game in which you create your own character and compile together your own little moveset. Moves are bought in decks(three decks are given as a freebie, and the rest can be bought through microtransactions, I'm an evil man), and you have multiple copies of each one. Why?

Because of a barter system that happens every round you fight. You see, if you fight you lay down three moves to trade with the other player, if he wins, they get your moves, if you win, you get theirs.

Cherry Lover:
Well, Kickstarter is a good place to go for this sort of project, yeah, because you don't need to convince some corporation to fund it. But, you would still need to convince enough people to fund it to actually be able to create a decent game out of it, which is probably not going to be easy.

Phearo:
You will not believe  what can get funded in Kickstarter.

Cherry Lover:
Well, it depends how ambitious you are, and how much money you ask for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version