Author Topic: Lantz's Q and A thread  (Read 22066 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Lantz's Q and A thread
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
Don't like don't read is a valid reply, I hate the stupid current reboots of comics so I don't read them, similarly I don't like ShirouXRin stuff so I don't read it. Same goes for others and my work.

why drag yourself through hell? Doesn't make sense.

and some people give valid criticism however more often they don't or they refuse to pay attention to my replies that dispell the issues fairly.

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »
Because your responses don't dispel the issues, most of the time you just say "Yes this seeming inconsistency will be explained in time", or don't answer at all to criticism you don't reject openly.

Which isn't an answer, it's a dismissal. A "Try again later!" of sorts.

Perhaps a simple "ok" or "I'll think on that" when you see a piece of criticism you don't fully disagree with would help convince people you don't ignore criticism. I mean, if you don't let them know you take it in, of course they'll think you aren't listening.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Because your responses don't dispel the issues, most of the time you just say "Yes this seeming inconsistency will be explained in time", or don't answer at all to criticism you don't reject openly.

Which isn't an answer, it's a dismissal. A "Try again later!" of sorts.

Perhaps a simple "ok" or "I'll think on that" when you see a piece of criticism you don't fully disagree with would help convince people you don't ignore criticism. I mean, if you don't let them know you take it in, of course they'll think you aren't listening.
Right. This is your main problem - you never actually answer anything, even when pressed about it.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
Sorry but I've been very clear about my position on spoilers, as such "it will be explained in time" is an answer.

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »
but what about criticism that you actually go "hm I'll think on that" to yourself to and that you should respond with "Hm I'll think on that kthnkx" to the person who told you about it?

It'd help the negative responses you get from everywhere in that you're showing you're listening.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »
I've done that before, sadly it doesn't work, they simply take that as cause to start bitching about every last thing.

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2014, 10:27:10 PM »
"how dare you fucking think about our criticism, you little bitch. There'll be no such acceptance of criticism in this place, oh fucking no. MODS BAN THIS DIRTY FILTH"

Kind of like that?

Or is it more that they take acceptance as a reason to, you know, give you more criticism?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »
Something in the middle although a few like Arch are like the former.

I've been clear about Mary sue being an insult for example and yet he still believes he can use that and be taken seriously.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
The truth is always hard to face lantz.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:33 PM »
Your "truth" is garbage as far as I am concerned

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2014, 03:22:39 AM »
It isn't garbage when each word of mine rings true. Satoshi is such a sue it hurts me Lantz. It hurts me physically.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2014, 03:32:02 AM »
Utter garbage

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2014, 03:35:33 AM »
Magos, please cut it out. You are entitled to your opinion, but constantly calling Lantz's characters Mary Sues is not constructive in any way, and nor are stupid arguments about whether or not you are talking "garbage".

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Well let's look at it this way: Satoshi is:

A dragon, with all the inanely powerful magic circuits and fire breath that implies**
The owner of a reality marble*
The product of three of the stronkest wizards getting together to protect spacetime**
The true owner of avalon*
Unaging
two thousand years old
A pseudo-lich with his phylactery stand-in in Avalon, making him completely immortal as no one can get there
The owner of a kamen rider transformation device*
A dimension hopper/time traveler*
incapable of running out of prana because of being hooked up to avalon*
an abhorrently strong magus with spells rivaling a highly capable magus in an age where magecraft was stronger than it is nowadays**
A master of dozens of martial arts
Immune to the elements*
Immune to sneak attacks*
Blessed with divine protection
Capable of Resurrection, in the nasuverse of all places**
The owner of Clarent, Mordred's sword*
The owner of a really edgy madness inducing blade*
The owner of a fire-blocking whip***
Somehow not a killer despite going through a berserker phase*

Forget dubious or questionable character creation, this is outright bad. If you can spread your character's traits around and get at least eight characters that are broken/overpowered in their own way, you know something's wrong. That something being: The original character that every single one of those OP traits came from.

He's not a character, he's a brainstorming sheet filled with possible abilities and gimmicks, until you just stopped wanting to brainstorm what to put in and you just threw it all into a story. And being a sheet, it has the personality and intellect of paper.

And yes, I can make that last statement accurately: I haven't read your story nor will I ever, but if you're roleplaying him correctly, he's a bland, personality-less character with the consistency of a schizophrenic mental patient and the intelligence of the chair you're sitting on.

And I know Mike's about to jump in and go "Wait, but by whose standards are you saying he's bad by hmmmm? Who says how you're supposed to make characters and how far you can go making them? And if people do try to restrict that kind of shit fuck them, and the police for good measure." to which I'll reply "Yeah, sure, if you're making characters. Satoshi's not a character, he's a walking, varied exhibition stand with a bland, robotic voice shared by every other character this guy writes except for Connor, because he has a bad cold."

So no, he's not a mary sue. He's not a character either. He's a process you never finished doing before throwing it out in the open.

So go back to brainstorming and finish that process before showing off the result.

And about the whole don't like don't read, here's a treasure: I don't like it and I won't read it, but it's RPing with us so no matter how cancerous the brainstorm is and how much I want to avoid him like the plague, he's still there if I want to be in Cross Effects. Him, and all the other characters from the "Same-voice bland alternate universe" he comes from.

And now you know how I feel.

*What
**This makes no sense
***Whips are about the worst thing for defending, why would you do this
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:01:37 PM by NamesAreHardToComeUpWith »

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2014, 12:58:06 AM »
I protest the bit about whips. Someone's apparently never played Castlevania.