Author Topic: The Round Table (A collaborative fiction thread)  (Read 24568 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Round Table (A collaborative fiction thread)
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:02 AM »
it makes perfect sense, rider gets sidelined when sakura is in view, it always happens, just like rin in UBW.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
it makes perfect sense, rider gets sidelined when sakura is in view, it always happens, just like rin in UBW.
The thing is, without a servant, Sakura gets sidelined. Plus, her devotion to Sakura is a big part of Rider's character. Not to mention that we don't have anyone else to give Rider to that isn't just horribly stretching it and turning basically everyone into a magus.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »
point of order: it's giving unconfirmed characters magic circuits, not making them magi, I do not want to sideline either character but something has to give here, rider likes sakura but she's hardly obsessed with her, she has things and thoughts beyond sakura.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2013, 01:37:25 AM »
point of order: it's giving unconfirmed characters magic circuits, not making them magi
It's still stupid, at least if you do it to everyone. Plus, it requires Rider to actively seek out such a person, which there is no reason for her to do.

Doing it with one servant/master (Ayako and Caster) is within the realms of suspension of disbelief, but doing it with two is just stupid. There are not that many magi around, and even if there are Rider has to find one of them.

I do not want to sideline either character but something has to give here
Yes, but I do not like the idea you're suggesting, one bit. Not least because her protectiveness of Sakura is the thing I like the most about Rider.

Plus, like I said, with the way you're aiming to go we will end up side-lining them both.

rider likes sakura but she's hardly obsessed with her, she has things and thoughts beyond sakura.
Erm, I think you're seriously underestimating how much she cares for Sakura. Sure, she does have a life aside from just "protect Sakura", but it's clear that she is extremely devoted to Sakura, and would do anything to protect her.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:39:34 AM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2013, 03:15:13 AM »
I can see any number of reasons why she could find to live on they are not childhood friends I want rider to have a good role instead  )of a side car to Sakura

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2013, 03:18:20 AM »
I can see any number of reasons why she could find to live on
Perhaps, but you're reaching.

they are not childhood friends
No, but Rider cares extremely deeply for Sakura. She openly admits she'd happily kill the entire town to protect her, and she is quite willing to sacrifice her own life, suffer being raped by Shinji and so on in order to protect Sakura.

I want rider to have a good role instead  )of a side car to Sakura
And I want Sakura to have a good role. Plus, Rider has to be someone's servant, why is being Sakura's servant any different? What stops her from having a good role if she's Sakura's servant?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2013, 03:32:58 AM »
Simply put she's just a shield for Sakura it's hard to get her out from that

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2013, 03:36:58 AM »
Simply put she's just a shield for Sakura it's hard to get her out from that
But you could just as easily say Saber is "just a shield for Shirou" or that Archer is "just a shield for Rin". That is what a servant does.

There is a serious problem here, though, because our goals for this story seem to be difficult to reconcile. I don't like your general approach to Rider (I've discussed it with you before), and I don't like the way that you're setting it up so Sakura will end up without any role unless we really force it. It's not a matter of her strength or anything, she simply has no way to fight without a servant, because that's how Grail Wars work. If we try to give her a good and significant role despite that, it'll just look forced.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
But you could just as easily say Saber is "just a shield for Shirou" or that Archer is "just a shield for Rin". That is what a servant does.

often to their detriment but no more so then Rider.

given that the grail war is the set up to "open world" publishing I think it's less important to have a major role here then to setup better roles for later.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

often to their detriment but no more so then Rider.
What?

given that the grail war is the set up to "open world" publishing I think it's less important to have a major role here then to setup better roles for later.
Perhaps, but I don't think removing Rider from Sakura's control does that. If anything, I'd say you're getting it in reverse. Linking Rider to Sakura might limit her in this story, but it allows her to grow in future stories. If you don't have her as Sakura's servant, I can't see how she can realistically even survive the war.

And, I would like Sakura to have a major role here. Not to mention that giving her a servant etc. will aid in setting up a better role for her later on, as opposed to her not being given a chance to prove herself in any way.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:13 PM »
how much character development do the servant get? very little, see ubw and all of rider in canon.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2013, 10:57:01 PM »
how much character development do the servant get? very little, see ubw and all of rider in canon.

Yeah, but Rider isn't going to stop being a servant just because she's paired up with someone else. Further, not being connected to one of the main characters means she's going to get even less.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2013, 11:07:11 PM »
no, obviously not but it won't be as bad as being hip connected but i doubt not being connect to a main character (more so faulty because rider IS one) will get her less development.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
no, obviously not but it won't be as bad as being hip connected
I don't agree, at least with Sakura she has a master who she has a reason to fight for.

i doubt not being connect to a main character (more so faulty because rider IS one) will get her less development.
It will, because she will just be an enemy to Shirou etc., and nothing more.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
please stop the enemy crap, we moved pasted that awhile ago.