General Discussion > Real World Topics

2014 FIFA World Cup Draws

<< < (3/4) > >>

Cherry Lover:
Germany, yeah, sure, but I don't think they're worse than Portugal.

KAIZA:
Well, whilst I'm not much of a football fan, I always get hyped for the World Cup. :3
As for our Group, over here, we don't think we have it all that easy (my uncle usually points out France as a strong contender anyways, plus Switzerland). However, everyone agrees on B, D and G being groups of death.

Oh, this'll be a fun one indeed.

Arch-Magos Winter:

--- Quote from: KAIZA on December 08, 2013, 08:27:28 PM ---Well, whilst I'm not much of a football fan, I always get hyped for the World Cup. :3
As for our Group, over here, we don't think we have it all that easy (my uncle usually points out France as a strong contender anyways, plus Switzerland). However, everyone agrees on B, D and G being groups of death.

--- End quote ---
The Swiss are surprisingly good, but Group E is certainly the Group of Life for France - they lucked out hardcore considering how they did at the last Cup. But considering how they did do last year, don't count yourself out, you've got a better chance than the US on this one.

Meanwhile Group G contains some of the biggest contenders out there - there's no doubt the US or Portugal are World Cup quality, and Germany is a bulldozer on a direct collision course with either Brazil or Spain, and B is going to be a fucking feeding frenzy for those two slots. Same with D.

A could be a sleeper group of death though, if Mexico steps up its game and plays to their talent.

Cherry Lover:

--- Quote from: KAIZA on December 08, 2013, 08:27:28 PM ---Well, whilst I'm not much of a football fan, I always get hyped for the World Cup. :3

--- End quote ---

Well, Switzerland are certainly the weakest of the seeded teams, by some way (especially when it's being played in Brazil), and France are one of the weakest of the European teams (according to FIFA they are the absolute weakest). So, whilst neither of them are bad teams, they are about the easiest you could have hoped for given the draw system. I mean, obviously a group containing San Marino, St Kitts and Nevis and Bahrain would have been easier, but that was not a possibility....

--- Quote from: Arch-Magos Winter on December 08, 2013, 08:34:59 PM ---

--- End quote ---
The Swiss are surprisingly good, but Group E is certainly the Group of Life for France - they lucked out hardcore considering how they did at the last Cup. But considering how they did do last year, don't count yourself out, you've got a better chance than the US on this one.
--- End quote ---

Well, the Swiss are a better team than a lot of people assume, but they're still not as good as Italy or (especially) Holland, both of whom they were seeded instead of. The BBC even did an article on it, and the only reason for the Swiss being seeded ahead of those two is that they both played friendlies against really weak teams, and the FIFA rankings penalise doing that even if you win.

And, yeah, the French are fucking lucky, especially since the original draw system (putting the lowest-rank European team in pot 2 rather than a random one) would have had them in England's group instead of Italy. When I saw that draw come out I was pretty annoyed, especially just after seeing England come out in a horrid group.

Arch-Magos Winter:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version