General Discussion > Real World Topics

2014 FIFA World Cup Draws

<< < (2/4) > >>

Arch-Magos Winter:

--- Quote from: Cherry Lover on December 07, 2013, 02:01:46 AM ---Croatia aren't that great any more, though, and as far as I recall Mexico haven't been playing brilliantly either.  I wouldn't call Group A a "Group of Death" at all, and I would be surprised if Brazil don't come through it pretty easily. It's certainly not the easiest group, even for Brazil, but they could have got much harder.

But, still, in the second round they're going to have to play Holland or Chile, probably, and both of those could beat them.

--- End quote ---
Brazil's gonna have one hell of an interesting and random first two rounds. It'll all come down to if Mexico gets its game together - and don't discount the Croats. This will be one hell of a group aside from Cameroon, though Group B is the worst group of death in the torney. G and D are bad, G slightly worse for all involved, but B? B has the potential to do some serious shakeups.

Cherry Lover:
Well, yeah, Brazil's group isn't easy, but it's not particularly difficult either. You couldn't have gotten a much easier European team than Croatia, and there were far harder options than Cameroon, too.

As for the others, I'd agree completely that Group B is the worst. Before the draw, the BBC did a piece on the best and worst possible groups (based on a modified version of the FIFA rankings that excluded friendlies), and the most difficult possible group, according to them, was Spain, Holland, Chile and the US. So, according to them (and I don't think they're far wrong), three of the four teams in the group were the most difficult that they possibly could have been.

I'm not so sure I'd say Group G is worse than Group D, though. Group G does have a bit more strength in depth, all four teams there are strong, but I think that the best three teams in our group are stronger, and in the end only two teams can make it through. Plus, teams from Group G don't have to play Spain or Brazil (who I think are the most likely finalists) until the Semi-Finals, whereas we have to play them in the Quarter-Finals.

Arch-Magos Winter:

--- Quote from: Cherry Lover on December 07, 2013, 02:37:18 AM ---Well, yeah, Brazil's group isn't easy, but it's not particularly difficult either. You couldn't have gotten a much easier European team than Croatia, and there were far harder options than Cameroon, too.

As for the others, I'd agree completely that Group B is the worst. Before the draw, the BBC did a piece on the best and worst possible groups (based on a modified version of the FIFA rankings that excluded friendlies), and the most difficult possible group, according to them, was Spain, Holland, Chile and the US. So, according to them (and I don't think they're far wrong), three of the four teams in the group were the most difficult that they possibly could have been.

I'm not so sure I'd say Group G is worse than Group D, though. Group G does have a bit more strength in depth, all four teams there are strong, but I think that the best three teams in our group are stronger, and in the end only two teams can make it through. Plus, teams from Group G don't have to play Spain or Brazil (who I think are the most likely finalists) until the Semi-Finals, whereas we have to play them in the Quarter-Finals.

--- End quote ---
True, but you don't have to face the Germans to advance, or deal with the highly explosive Portugese or the fucking spoiler that is Ghana. G is harder due to all the teams being strong, it's gonna be a knock down drag out fight for second.

Cherry Lover:
Well, yeah, I wouldn't have wanted us to face Germany. But, then, I don't particularly fancy Italy either. They really should have been one of the seeds.

Arch-Magos Winter:
The Italians are overrated, I have a feeling they'll choke. Still a nasty team to face but no where near Germany or Portugal on their game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version