Author Topic: Fate/Yet Another Grail War RPing Idea  (Read 28915 times)

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Yet Another Grail War RPing Idea
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »
Well, I doubt this'll mean much to anyone save Alice, if only b/c she'll have remember to edit the OP.

I am formally withdrawing from this RP.

To everyone else sticking this out: good luck and try to have fun.
Why the withdraw? IRL things? And I'm sure more than just me will be sad to see you go, and for more reasons than editing an OP.

And @Ayakashi, it's just been two people thus far. One was for IRL reasons anyway, which is understandable.

Meh. Nothing so interesting or excusable.

Had an enlightening chat session w/ Mags the other day, which killed and dissected one PC idea in lieu of another, more sensible one. However, certain topics that popped up in the course of said conversation have forced me to review whether or not I am currently up to snuff w/ the GM's quality control standards.

So, rather than continue bugging Mags like a stuttering noob, or running myself ragged writing yet more ideas or proposals that will be pared down to some small few, I shall simply opt to pussy out (LIKE A BOSS) and not worry about it this time around. Maybe I can use the character for another RP where I am not as constrained by the "balancing" of a Grail War context.

*shrug*

It ultimately changes nothing, at this point.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:49:38 AM by Soldat der Trauer »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2014, 08:17:38 AM »
Considering that we could use as many players as possible, it does change some things. Plus I'm sure we could get you up to snuff. :)

...If it makes you feel better, my Master sheet wasn't exactly a shining work of art either. ^^"

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Ambiguous_Ayakashi

• A Tree.
  • Data Fragment
  • A random passerby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
Soldat, you know that we all used to be horrible noobs, right?
There's no shame in having some problems, we'll all go through it, no matter how 'good' we've ended up as. Someone that is truly 'good' understands that there's always room for progress~

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »
....I literally asked a question about including a possible Mystic Code, and got told off w/ a brief intro to "US Smuggling 101". :V

I mean, holy shit, in all the precious, precious handful of BL RPs I've managed to get in since 2011, I have NEVER met a GM who gave a damn about something so...so taken for granted. It's not a bad thing, but I suppose the perceived difference is due to asking someone who's basing the RP on his place of residence, and has much more experience in both RPing and GMing (if all the mentions of World of Darkness campaigns are any indication).

I'll admit, I was having one of my mood swings during that irc chat; I turn into a mess of neurotic paranoia and bad moves, so maybe I'm just making oceans of rain drops. But if something like that pops up again for something else?

Psshh, noooooooo, no, no thank you.

....Although since his idea to randomize Servant assignments wasn't so well received, maybe Mags could instead substitute a random "start point"? In effect, it'd provide GM fiat to limit how prepared or well-equipped certain Masters will be when they arrive at the city. So for example, if you're unlucky and get rolled "airport security: problems", you can't bring certain types/sizes of objects, and have to either write in alternate means of entering the country or else make do.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:32:00 PM by Soldat der Trauer »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Yeah, honestly, I think being a magus pretty much negates "US smuggling 101". If they can cover up Cthulu appearing in the middle of a city and destroying several JSAF planes, I think they can manage to get a weapon into the country. I mean, drugs are illegal, and drug smugglers don't have the benefit of being magi, yet they still get in.

For example, Japan has far stricter gun laws than the US. There's no way in hell Kiritsugu could have legal permission to bring in all his weaponry. But, it is never even mentioned as an issue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:32:00 PM by Cherry Lover »

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »
What are you talking about that's not a weapon, that's clearly a violin.

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Yeah, honestly, I think being a magus pretty much negates "US smuggling 101". If they can cover up Cthulu appearing in the middle of a city and destroying several JSAF planes, I think they can manage to get a weapon into the country. I mean, drugs are illegal, and drug smugglers don't have the benefit of being magi, yet they still get in.

For example, Japan has far stricter gun laws than the US. There's no way in hell Kiritsugu could have legal permission to bring in all his weaponry. But, it is never even mentioned as an issue.

I know, right? And that's what you'd expect, but I have no idea how Mags planned to run this particular campaign. I don't know how he GMs, period.

But Mags was telling me, "no, you can't bring a short sword made of bone; no, you can't pass it off as an antique; no, air shipping is out of the question, you've gotta try marine smuggling". So that got me thinking, are Masters starting off outside the country, or in it already (as is usual w/ Grail War RPs)?

B/c if the latter, then the whole thing about airport security shouldn't have even come up. But as I also mentioned, mood swings = neurosis, and then things got out of hand and I essentially went, "Fuck it, I'm out".

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »
OK, yeah, a sword made of bone would be piss-easy to smuggle in even without the whole "magus" thing, because swords aren't usually made of bone, and there is no particular reason why a mundane person would want a bone sword as a weapon. Plus, it won't set off metal detectors and if you do get pulled-over for having it you can just use mind-control magic to convince the guards to let it through.

And, yeah, that's assuming your character doesn't live in the US and get the weapon from there. If they do, then I don't see the problem at all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:42:56 PM by Cherry Lover »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
Really, it depends on how you're smuggling it in. I was thinking more on the body, which was my bad. It's difficult, but you should be able to get it through cargo if you're clever.

And mind controlling people doesn't always work when there's cameras around that can see your face. Ending up on the no fly list can be a hell of a problem.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2014, 06:48:27 PM »
Basically, if Magos lightened up on that, would you come back, Soldat?

Also, the Servant randomization thing has been lifted after I pointed out numerous people complaining. Now classes are first come, first serve.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Really, it depends on how you're smuggling it in. I was thinking more on the body, which was my bad. It's difficult, but you should be able to get it through cargo if you're clever.

Well, yeah, flying with a weapon on your person is probably not a great idea in the modern age. In cargo I am not sure they'd even care, it would just look like an antique you purchased on holiday. I believe it is even possible to bring in a samurai sword (although possibly not a sharp one), so a sword made of bone should be fine. And if you did get caught and it was actually clearly illegal, I'm sure you could get out of trouble on camera by just saying it was a genuine mistake and then use mind-control magic to fake its destruction. If you couldn't just convince them you really did have the paperwork and had just lost it....

Sure, some security guard might get fired for being too trusting, but I doubt you would get penalised in a way that couldn't be overcome. And that's assuming the Association doesn't just have someone specifically to allow them to bypass such laws....

And mind controlling people doesn't always work when there's cameras around that can see your face. Ending up on the no fly list can be a hell of a problem.

That is true to some extent, but I doubt that airport security is set up to handle magi. I would be extremely surprised if it couldn't be bypassed, especially for something that could actually be legitimate.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:52:29 PM by Cherry Lover »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
Yeah, if you're not stupid and trying to bring in ALL THE MAGI TOOLS AND WEAPONS you shouldn't have too much of an issue. Smuggling things in by boat would be easier (can't cover all the coastline) but it'd also be slower. Really, using magic in public is not a smart idea if you want to avoid attention.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
Using magic in public can be dangerous, yes, but an interrogation room isn't "in public". Certainly the Association has no difficulty managing to deal with far bigger issues than that.

Like I said, Kiritsugu managed to get all of his tools into Japan, and I'm pretty sure Japan has far more stringent gun-control laws than the US. It might not be utterly trivial, but I would imagine a magus could just fake the paperwork and use subtle manipulation to convince the guards to accept it.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
Using magic in public can be dangerous, yes, but an interrogation room isn't "in public". Certainly the Association has no difficulty managing to deal with far bigger issues than that.

Like I said, Kiritsugu managed to get all of his tools into Japan, and I'm pretty sure Japan has far more stringent gun-control laws than the US. It might not be utterly trivial, but I would imagine a magus could just fake the paperwork and use subtle manipulation to convince the guards to accept it.
Really, he probably got it in by boat - it isn't exactly hard to conceal something inside a cargo container, and before 9/11 security measures were far laxer world wide.

Now, trying to smuggle something by plane is a damn nightmare, and you have to remember, security cameras. Using magic when you're on tape is also not a smart idea, though it might be able to be suppressed, you're still likely going to end up thrown on a no-fly list or classified as a dangerous individual through that coverup. It's just not worth the risk to hypnotize some TSA officer who wants to ask you why you have a bone sword with you in your bag to let you go.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:30 PM »
Hmm I don't think my character uh Mr. K is gonna have any problems with smuggling he's got plenty of connections.