Author Topic: role playing ideas thread  (Read 32795 times)

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: role playing ideas thread
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
I concur: cross b/t devil summoner and devil trigger.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
I would say a sort of combination of becoming a demon and summoning.

Sorta like Nocturne only everyone is demi-fiend.

Magatamas for everyone!

This is a totally impartial suggestion, having nothing at all to do with the game I am currently in the process of stealing off the internet, due to not getting to finish it the first time.

NOPE totally without bias.

Yeah, possibly this makes sense. I think being a demi-fiend is better because IIRC only demi-fiends can have "reasons". I'm not too fond of the "needing to eat people" mechanic, though....

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
@Mike: Two corrections there.

First, humans are the only ones in the Void World able to create and maintain Reasons. The Hitoshura (Nocturne's titular "Demi-Fiend") is half-demon, but that is enough to rule him out as truly human anymore. He can't create a Reason; his incredible abilities, though, mean that the side he backs will likely win.

Second, the Hitoshura did not need to consume others; that was the schtick of the demon shifters created via Atma. Atma shows up in Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner, not Nocturne. :V

And looking back, shit, demi-fiends can't make Reasons. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF---
Well, that's a dampner to the devil summoner/devil shifter suggestion. Xt

I'd just really rather see an SMT game adapted as one of those "civ game" kind of affairs where you're a leader and can actually direct forces larger than typical party size. The correct term escapes me for the game type...

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
Well we could always just say that the rules have changed since nocturne.

The definition of human became less concrete due to Hitoshura fucking up the last conception, so now all the humans left over get demonized but can still create reasons.

Or Lucifer did it, that works too.

If that doesn't work just let everyone pick between taking Magatamas or trying to gain a sponsor.

It could even be a thematic point, the struggle between those who have embraced the destroyed world by becoming demons and those who wish to create a new one by gaining sponsors for their reasons.

Let the people choose.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:55:23 PM by Kurogami »

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »
Well, you needed to be human to make a Reason, and you needed a sponsor to help put its concept into motion.

But once you've done those prerequisites, let's say, do you need to *stay* human? :V

Or would being changed at that point nullify the Reason you previously established?

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2014, 03:20:36 AM »
The demi-fiend was canonically able to carry a reason that had been established by a human, even though he was not one IIRC.

It seems like only a human can create a reason, but anyone can carry a reason after a human establishes it and a sponsor is summoned.

So there seems to be no reason why not...

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Ok, hold on guys. Typically it is implied in the games where you contract demons that the player gains demonic power themselves, this combined with the idea that magatsuchi (think I spelled that right) is present in humans and is the thing demons need to gain more power it seems simple enough to allow players to amass power in such a way and continue to carry a reason.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
Typically it is implied in the games where you contract demons that the player gains demonic power themselves

Not in Demon:Descent. Arguably best game involving Demons.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:28:59 PM by StrayKat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2014, 02:41:07 AM »
So, Lantz, are you intending to actually run the RP?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
Seems like the thing to do CL, I have the demon indexes on save files from the games and understand all the principles necessary to run the game. Assuming there's still interest I could have this up pretty quickly. If not I can pretty much do any game genre people would want. Personally I want to do a supers game because seriously it's a ton of hilarious fun.

@kat

are you interjecting with Whitewolf? Because when it comes to demons SMT is way more awesome.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »
I'm interested in the idea. Not sure who else might be, though. Possibly Kuro and Soldat.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
Lantz you obviously haven't read Demon if you're claiming that. Descent's demons are among the best takes on them I've ever seen and far outstrip SMT's in variety and theme.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
You obviously need to check yourself Arch, your opinion is not a message from god. Far as I'm concerned whitewolf sucks as does vampire the masquerade. SMT is way better as I see it. I don't care to discuss theme or any such nonsense, if I did I would have brought it up in my reply above.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
Typically it is implied in the games where you contract demons that the player gains demonic power themselves,
Actually, in all the mainline SMT games I've played (I and IV, not gonna count III because Demi-Fiend), contracting with demons does not give you demonic powers. It doesn't give you any powers period. In fact, in I, the protag can't even learn any spells (nor skills I believe) at all. In IV, you can learn spells from the demons once they get all their skills, but it's more the demon giving you a skill, rather than as part of the contract; and in neither case is it implied plot-wise that the contract gives you demon powers. There are methods, but contracting is not one of them.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
You obviously need to check yourself Arch, your opinion is not a message from god. Far as I'm concerned whitewolf sucks as does vampire the masquerade. SMT is way better as I see it. I don't care to discuss theme or any such nonsense, if I did I would have brought it up in my reply above.

Technically it's Onyx Path now. Not White Wolf. Also, he's talking about the Demon The Descent splat of NEW World Of Darkness line. Vampire The Masquerade and its co-splats belong to the old, or classic World Of Darkness line. And obviously this is just my opinion, but Vampire The Requiem of NWoD is a great, well-written take on vampires of all kinds.

And Arch isn't really claiming his opinion is a message from God anymore than you are. But he seems familiar with SMT in addition to DtD, so he can at least claim to be familiar with both in offering his thoughts, which is more than you can say.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts