Author Topic: General Nasuverse Lore/Character/Serious Canon Discussion Thread  (Read 32707 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: General Nasuverse Lore/Character/Serious Canon Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2014, 01:05:50 AM »
Well, I would assume the part that is missing is all the fairy-related stuff, since that is the bit he is said to be unable to comprehend. Exactly what effect that has is not clear, though.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »
Well, I would assume the part that is missing is all the fairy-related stuff, since that is the bit he is said to be unable to comprehend. Exactly what effect that has is not clear, though.
Well, I think that the fairy parts are related to the beamu. I have no source for that so I would take it with a grain of salt. Otherwise wouldn't it just be a normal sword if it lacked all the fairy components?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2014, 01:16:27 AM »
I'm not sure, but the traced version can still do the beam.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »
Yeah. That's why I was thought of it as only replicating parts of it. For example it has beamu but it isn't as strong physically as it should be or vice versa.

RamKingSpaceSlamKatsulam

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:46 AM »
Actually, Excalibur: he can't project it.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2014, 01:23:45 AM »
Excalipoor would be what Shirou does with regular weapons.
This is more like Esca Libre, the Chinese knockoff of a Mexican knockoff of something that was never really Excalibur in the first place.
-Eddyak 2014

Does this description work?

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
I think so. At least in terms of what he ends up creating in the end and the severe decrease in power level. It does at least have the distinction of looking the same as the real deal though. :V

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2014, 01:38:26 AM »

He can clearly project some form of it, because he does so at the end of HF. It might not be close enough to be called "Excalibur", but it's definitely based on it.

This is more like Esca Libre, the Chinese knockoff of a Mexican knockoff of something that was never really Excalibur in the first place.
-Eddyak 2014

I'm not sure exactly what that means, honestly. Certainly what he traces is based on Excalibur's blueprint, and acts much like Excalibur. It just lacks some elements that Shirou cannot copy.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2014, 01:40:25 AM »
Consider it like the cheap chinese knock off with substandard plastic that sort of in a good light looks like the real thing.

RamKingSpaceSlamKatsulam

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2014, 01:47:38 AM »

He can clearly project some form of it, because he does so at the end of HF. It might not be close enough to be called "Excalibur", but it's definitely based on it.

-Eddyak 2014

I'm not sure exactly what that means, honestly. Certainly what he traces is based on Excalibur's blueprint, and acts much like Excalibur. It just lacks some elements that Shirou cannot copy.

But, it isn't.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2014, 01:48:33 AM »
Consider it like the cheap chinese knock off with substandard plastic that sort of in a good light looks like the real thing.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "knockoff" in this context, though. It's clear that the version Shirou makes is based on what he can understand of the original Excalibur, because that is how UBW works. It's just not a particularly good copy of it.

-Eddyak 2014

But, it isn't.

Then what the fucking hell is it based on? Because it certainly looks like Excalibur, and Shirou does not have the ability to just make swords up out of thin air.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:49:32 AM by Cherry Lover »

RamKingSpaceSlamKatsulam

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
Then what the fucking hell is it based on? Because it certainly looks like Excalibur, and Shirou does not have the ability to just make swords up out of thin air.

It is not for me to know what it is, but what it is not - that being Excalibur.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2014, 02:01:12 AM »

Erm, no, sorry. If I have an explanation and you do not, then you cannot realistically claim you are right, particularly when there is a hell of a lot of ambiguity about what "cannot trace Excalibur" actually means, not to mention the possibility of an outright retcon which, as far as I am concerned, is not valid because it makes no damn sense.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:02:18 AM by Cherry Lover »

RamKingSpaceSlamKatsulam

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2014, 02:02:46 AM »

Erm, no, sorry. If I have an explanation and you do not, then you cannot realistically claim you are right, particularly when there is a hell of a lot of ambiguity, not to mention the possibility of an outright retcon which, as far as I am concerned, is not valid because it makes no damn sense.

It does not ipso facto require an explanation.  It is sufficient to know what it is not. 

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2014, 02:06:49 AM »

Erm, no, sorry. If I have an explanation and you do not, then you cannot realistically claim you are right, particularly when there is a hell of a lot of ambiguity, not to mention the possibility of an outright retcon which, as far as I am concerned, is not valid because it makes no damn sense.

It does not ipso facto require an explanation.  It is sufficient to know what it is not.

Not really. If the only plausible explanation is that it is based-off Excalibur, then it is more likely that either Nasu ret-conned it later (which I consider invalid) or, else, that what he means by "cannot trace Excalibur" is that what he gets when he tries is, whilst based on the original, so inferior that it cannot be called "Excalibur" any more.

You have yet to either refute any statement I have made or provide a viable alternative, which means you have not got a leg to stand on.