Author Topic: character Q and A  (Read 61369 times)

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: character Q and A
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
In this case though the sail has been torn to ribbons too small to fix, and there is no other option than to make a new sail entirely.

With enough thread one can make a sail from ribbons and scraps, there is no such thing as too far gone, there is only "worth trying to save" and "not worth the effort", if it was not worth the effort you would not be in this thread.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
I forgot to mention the cloth is rotted.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
In this case though the sail has been torn to ribbons too small to fix, and there is no other option than to make a new sail entirely.

With enough thread one can make a sail from ribbons and scraps, there is no such thing as too far gone, there is only "worth trying to save" and "not worth the effort", if it was not worth the effort you would not be in this thread.

I think you're overestimating Arch's ability to just ignore fics he thinks aren't worth saving....

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the cloth is rotted.

That gives the sail more character, all it means is that there may be more need of patching as things go along, and damn if I am not invested at this point, I will see this boat sail if it kills me.

And let's please stop with the sailing analogies.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »
That gives the sail more character, all it means is that there may be more need of patching as things go along, and damn if I am not invested at this point, I will see this boat sail if it kills me.

And let's please stop with the sailing analogies.

Boat metaphors are best metaphors.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »
Enough with the metaphor, back to questions and suggestions, also Arch go, I dunno play pogs or something.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
  • I don't want no trabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
Totally made a suggestion. You gonna ignore that one as well?
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

I told you I wanted no trabble.

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Here is a suggestion. One that I have made before but I will now announce publically to see if anyone else may take similar view.

I don't stay destroy Satoshi but I suggest you streamline him. He has a lot of roles and abilties and adventures and he's been there and back a couple of times already. Sure you can have character like that but some of the other aspects of this large journey or vision that you have for this adventure can be split into multiple facets. You can have multiple characters   tackling one of the narrative concepts or struggles that you want to push Satoshi through individually or as a group. I'm not saying turn him into a bunch of flat characters I'm saying that instead of juggling so many aspects in one OC you can fragment and streamline the concepts you choose to tackle. Don't put all you narrative/thematic "eggs" in one "basket" is all I'm saying.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2014, 01:17:36 AM »
Avalon is already like that Qwerty

No gray, I'm not splitting the character into others

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:55 AM »
Why not? Is it integral to have every single thing you want this guy to do in one character? You can still keep your general idea of satoshi at the core it's just you can put somethings like being the heir of the einzbern to some other character or so such. While many characters do have some very varied adventures it's either after several dozen volumes, or after passing through many writer's hands that this happens.
While I agree that a main character should get a lot of focus in the story Satoshi seems to have a lot of things with him as the focal point. Give those things to somone else, share the plot with other characters.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2014, 02:37:39 AM »
Yes, it is, Satoshi is the journeyman here. He travels learns and participating in the journey's of others. Splitting him into parts means hacking his character. You seem to think that he is the only original character or the only character to have focus period. That is fault.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
@Umbra

A: Short answer, he mastered the aspects of his soul and unified them.

That still doesn't get rid of the dragon aspect.
Q. How did "unifying" his soul help stop his body from changing ?

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2014, 12:49:51 AM »
Maybe it didn't. The thought comes to mind that Satoshi could be human on the outside, dragon on the inside. Though that theory has a huge hole in that if all his insides were dragon he would have little issue with using dragon fire.

Brahmastra

« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2014, 01:58:06 AM »
The issue is also that the body reflects the soul. This is why Shirou gets filled with swords and why Zouken looks like a decrepit old fuck no matter how many bodies he eats. If Satoshi has somehow unified his soul with that of the dragon (which should completely overpower his own, dragons are just that infinitely superior to humans), he should be covered in draconic features.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2014, 02:04:34 AM »
Shirou only gets filled with swords in extreme circumstances, though. Usually he is perfectly normal.