Author Topic: character Q and A  (Read 61593 times)

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: character Q and A
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2014, 12:51:05 AM »
And lantz, can you explain how this makes a reboot literally impossible?

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2014, 12:52:53 AM »
And lantz, can you explain how this makes a reboot literally impossible?

Not "impossible", as such, he just dislikes the new information enough that he doesn't desire to do one (and, honestly, I'm inclined to agree about the "fake" thing, I don't like it at all and think it makes no sense).

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »
Well that's not impossible, he just doesn't like it.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »
Which is fine, also, he's free to ingore as much or as little of the new canon as he wants.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2014, 01:02:56 AM »
No, it's functionally impossible with the new information. None of the characters are meaningful in the story, Iris and Kiritsugu can't come back, no doubt illya can't be saved. Basically it becomes dull. And no, a reboot that conforms to canon cannot ignore canon. Especially given the fan base.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2014, 01:17:08 AM »
On that last bit, it depends. Suspension of disbelief is a thing for a reason.

There are some breaks from canon that most people can forgive because otherwise they'd be too constrictive (like the "Shirou can only summon Arturia" thing), but for the most part, it depends on how much from canon you break, and for what purpose.

It also depends on how good the story is; the better the story, the more likely people are to overlook certain breaks for the sake of a good story. The opposite is also true; in a bad story, ALL of the problems and breaks are magnified and become glaring, and not even adhering to canon to a T can help there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:19:31 AM by KAIZA »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2014, 01:26:57 AM »
No, it's functionally impossible with the new information. None of the characters are meaningful in the story, Iris and Kiritsugu can't come back, no doubt illya can't be saved. Basically it becomes dull.

Where do you get "Ilya can't be saved" from? And, I'm not entirely sure how you managed to bring Iri and Kiritsugu back in the first place....

And no, a reboot that conforms to canon cannot ignore canon. Especially given the fan base.

I doubt most of the fandom is really bothered about the whole "Medusa is fake" thing, particularly since there is zero reason for it to ever even come up in a fic. It is entirely possible to ignore some aspects of canon and still conform to the majority and, indeed, with something like the Nasuverse (where canon is often self-contradictory) it is almost essential to do so.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2014, 01:33:52 AM »
@Kaiza

I'd love to believe you but there's no way to reboot this story with a positive result except to obey canon because the fan base has a toxic view of my ocs. No matter what I do they won't except it.

@CL

in canon she dies, thanks to the new canon there's no way to save her.

as for Kiritsugu and Iri the method used falls flat in the new canon.

the cast shrinks, the story becomes impossible to be interesting or exceed three chapters.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2014, 01:42:00 AM »
@CL

Honestly, I don't even believe that she's certain to die in canon. I see no reason to assume she cannot be saved.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2014, 01:48:45 AM »
@Kaiza

I'd love to believe you but there's no way to reboot this story with a positive result except to obey canon because the fan base has a toxic view of my ocs. No matter what I do they won't except it.

@CL

as for Kiritsugu and Iri the method used falls flat in the new canon.

the cast shrinks, the story becomes impossible to be interesting or exceed three chapters.
You want Illya to live properly rather than limited homunculus life? Fine by me. You want Kerry and Iri to come back to life? Alright, try it, even if that's stretching it.

One condition though: You have to give a very good reason for it; a believably explanation that fits with the setting and doesn't break our SoD. The more you break, the more you need to explain to make it work, and the more effort you need to put into the writing so that people can give it a pass. Doubly so when such things are fundamental to the story.

If people hated the story so far, it's because you're doing one or both of those two things wrong.

Lantz, you'd have a lot less problems if you used the setting and stuff to your advantage; seeing them as tools instead of just as arbitrary limitations.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:50:45 AM by KAIZA »

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2014, 01:57:47 AM »
Illya can live, she's there in hollow. And as far as I know your herk and medusa didn't violate them being fake ever, it's meaningless info to 90% of fics.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »
And exactly what Kaiza said. Instead of being constrained by canon, find creative ways to make it work instead.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2014, 02:02:17 AM »
Sorry but they've not given it a chance. They won't give me a chance even if you would, any break from canon causes them to shit on me. This is fact. The current canon and attitude of the fandom gives me no advantage. I cannot work the current details into a reboot and frankly I don't want to write some grim dark pile of crap. The original version is a better story period and I don't care how out of date the details are.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2014, 02:03:25 AM »
To give an example:
Let's say I want to write a story. I decide to write a light-hearted, fluff fic; the premise being Kerry, Iri, Shirou and Illya spending some fun happy times watching the cherry blossoms bloom. Maybe include some in-jokes based on the source material, perhaps a few cameos by other characters here and there.

Is it breaking canon? Yes, of course it is. Does it matter? Well, if the story is good enough...no. Not really. Do I need to explain why Kerry and Iri are alive, and are having happy times despite what happens in the source material...no, not really.

Because that is not fundamental to what the fic is. It's just a small fluff story. So as long as I state it's a what-if/AU story, and make my best effort to write everything properly, people are very likely to overlook the fact that some of the characters in it are supposed to be dead, or that the situation in itself is not possible in the actual source material. I could include a small aside hand-waving it or something, but it doesn't need the explanation. People already enjoy the story enough to give it a pass.

Your story, on the other hand...needs the explanation.

Because due to what your story is, and how it's supposed to go, it needs an actual explanation to why it happens. It follows an established setting, so it needs to be explained within the setting, and the explanation needs to make sense so as to not break SoD. Otherwise, you have a plothole or an asspull.

Even if the setting is explicitly AU, you'd still need the explanation, because it's fundamental to the working of your story (and if it isn't, why break so much just to have them revived in the first place?).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:04:29 AM by KAIZA »

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2014, 02:06:21 AM »
Or post it on ffn, they'd love it.