Author Topic: character Q and A  (Read 61629 times)

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: character Q and A
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:40 AM »
Okay do not give up this quickly, some of the plot points will have to be adjusted to better fit with canon, but that is the last reason to give up. I am here with as many suggestions as you will ever need, you just have to actually use some of them. I am here to help.

So I am going to start listing off ideas based on what I know in order:

1. You are going to have to give up on Iri (Physically at least) but if you are planning a grail war six I have an interpretation of Kerry's backstory that might let you get him in. Let me know if you are interested.

2. Dying Illya, Altria is still there right? So Avalon still works, stick it in Illya. With no heroes in the grail to degrade her body the sheath should fix her up well enough that she won't need it anymore by the time it is needed for anything else. No adult Illya though.

More to come.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2014, 02:25:51 AM »
And justaze shouldn't exist

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:10 AM »
@Kaiza

I'm willing to explain but frankly that doesn't matter. They won't let it happen unless I explain immediately, instant gratification is not how stories fucking work. I cannot have an suspense when the readers act like six year olds.

@kuro

sorry but when a world goes dark grey I tend to stop caring.

no point in Kerry without Iri and Ilya can't be saved that way because of the time gap.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:24:48 AM by lantzblades »

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:34 AM »
Lantz, you kind of do need to explain when you're breaking canon why you're breaking canon.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »
Lantz, you kind of do need to explain when you're breaking canon why you're breaking canon.

Yes, ultimately, but not necessarily in chapter 1....

Any good story is going to have elements that don't immediately make sense, otherwise there's no suspense.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 02, 2014, 03:44:34 AM »
But if said elements break SoD, you need to explain why you're breaking them asap.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 02, 2014, 03:45:41 AM »
But if said elements break SoD, you need to explain why you're breaking them asap.

That's not always possible, though, not when you're doing a setting like Lantz's (i.e. some time in the future). You can't necessarily explain everything straight away, the story would be extremely dull if you do.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 02, 2014, 03:45:49 AM »
It's not good to go "it will be explained in 40 chapters" because people aren't going to wait years to find out why something potentially isn't shitty after all.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 02, 2014, 03:46:40 AM »

That's not always possible, though, not when you're doing a setting like Lantz's (i.e. some time in the future). You can't necessarily explain everything straight away, the story would be extremely dull if you do.
Being dull is better than shattering suspension of disbelief permanently.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 02, 2014, 03:56:04 AM »

No, it's not.

Dullness is the one thing that is absolutely guaranteed to kill a story. People will forgive a lot of things, even outright breaking suspension of disbelief, but they are not going to read a story that is dull. Sure, you might get less crap from people like Arch doing it that way, but you sure as hell won't produce a story that absolutely anyone wants to read.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 02, 2014, 03:56:15 AM »
It's a time travel story, mystery is key. But in any case, Bdoom or "Sakura" here is a perfect example of why this reboot cannot work.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2014, 04:07:04 AM »

No, it's not.

Dullness is the one thing that is absolutely guaranteed to kill a story. People will forgive a lot of things, even outright breaking suspension of disbelief, but they are not going to read a story that is dull. Sure, you might get less crap from people like Arch doing it that way, but you sure as hell won't produce a story that absolutely anyone wants to read.
I can't think of anybody who would read 40 chapters to find out why something shattered their sod.
It's a time travel story, mystery is key. But in any case, Bdoom or "Sakura" here is a perfect example of why this reboot cannot work.
how.

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 02, 2014, 04:07:51 AM »
What time gap and how much of one?

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:04 AM »
Just because I probably won't read it doesn't mean other people won't. And again, FFN is unironically a good place for your fic.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:09:50 AM by Sakura »

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:20 AM »
If you don't change it, fine. That's your choice, and I respect that. Just don't act surprised if people continue disliking it if you don't change anything.