Author Topic: Cross Effects: Rebirth (2.0) Discussion Page (OOC).  (Read 172356 times)

Brahmastra

Re: Cross Effects: Rebirth (2.0) Discussion Page (OOC).
« Reply #735 on: May 29, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
The character that is perfection himself has been submitted. Bow down to his radiance.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »
Quote from: Knick
Loved how we both had the same idea for alignments. Mainly people that fail horrible at being neutral and made sure to point that out.
Characters in denial about that are fun. :3 I think most people have trouble playing neutral though because most people can't quite process that level of morality. They can see black and white, but not quite that grey area in-between. So in trying to be neutral, they still swing heavily one way or the other, not really knowing what neutral really means in the end. It can be a really tough alignment to get right for that reason alone. ^^"

The biggest problem with neutral is playing someone neutral who isn't really dull. It's easy to be neutral by doing nothing, but being neutral whilst doing things is a lot more difficult.

Rin, however, fails "neutral" badly, even more so post-HF, and I think she has somewhat accepted that, so I think she's less of an issue. Mille, on the other hand, is much more in denial, I think.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 29, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
Neutral is the rational alignment. Not concerned with good or evil.

It does not mean do nothing, It means you act smartly and not influenced by morality and desires.

Saying those that are neutral do nothing is ignorant and foolish.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 29, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »

It does not mean do nothing, It means you act smartly and not influenced by morality and desires.

For that matter, a neutral person could be someone who gives no fucks about good, evil, etc. and just wants to live his life free of morality influencing his actions one way or the other. Neutrality is as much denying the extremes as it is practicing moderation.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
There is also Lawful Neutral who obeys law over his personal inclinations or morality codes.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 29, 2014, 03:51:01 PM »

I don't think it's quite that. Neutral people still have some morality, it just tends to be more limited to things they won't do. If you're acting purely selfishly and without concern for others, then you're evil. Evil does not mean "actively trying to make people suffer", that is only the cartoon version.

I never said that. However, as a general rule, the smart thing to do is usually nothing, so neutral characters are harder to motivate.

There is also Lawful Neutral who obeys law over his personal inclinations or morality codes.

Yeah, I was talking specifically of True Neutral here, though. Lawful and Chaotic Neutral are a little easier (especially Lawful Neutral, although more so if you have someone to follow).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:52:18 PM by Cherry Lover »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:37 PM »
Eh, let me present you with an example then.

Remember Tom from last game (and who's sheet I still need to get up)? He was true neutral. He wasn't too boring was he? True, he started doing more good things once more under Forest's influence, but he still had character beyond that.

...I'm not good with examples. ^^" Halp.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 29, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
Yeah, I never said it was impossible, it's just difficult. And, note that Tom was tending towards Neutral Good pretty fast, too. Starting a character out as neutral is not too hard, keeping them there whilst being active is more difficult.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
He'd regain plasm, just from doing enough physical pain and violence. Not much, but it'd be something.

Of course, damage done to him is different, and being a Sin Eater means he can't pass out due to pain or the like. I'd think Rider would like that far, FAR more than Law would.

Well, yes, Rider would very definitely enjoy that. She's a hardcore sadist.

Personally, though, I tend to prefer situations where the sub is female (although not exclusively so), which is why I have tended to set such situations up when possible. Plus, this is a rare occasion where Rider would probably go too far even for me.
Late on the reply on this but that could work with Law, if the driver starts egging him on/gains a measure of control. The Driver will be very very happy with the idea of feeling sex again, and inflicting violence with it. Law's more squeemish, but the Driver could browbeat him into it.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
He'd regain plasm, just from doing enough physical pain and violence. Not much, but it'd be something.

Of course, damage done to him is different, and being a Sin Eater means he can't pass out due to pain or the like. I'd think Rider would like that far, FAR more than Law would.

Well, yes, Rider would very definitely enjoy that. She's a hardcore sadist.

Personally, though, I tend to prefer situations where the sub is female (although not exclusively so), which is why I have tended to set such situations up when possible. Plus, this is a rare occasion where Rider would probably go too far even for me.
Late on the reply on this but that could work with Law, if the driver starts egging him on/gains a measure of control. The Driver will be very very happy with the idea of feeling sex again, and inflicting violence with it. Law's more squeemish, but the Driver could browbeat him into it.

Hmm, OK.

I'm not sure how it would come about, though. Would this be him getting consent from Rider, or him forcing it on Rider?

And, well, as with Law, Rider is pretty hardy, so you can get away with somewhat more than usual. I'm not sure what sort of "violence" he'd go for, though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:10:01 PM by Cherry Lover »

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 29, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »

Isn't Lawful Neutral traditionally supposed to be a character non-inclined to biases or particular actions that benefit some people or themselves over others, while adhering to some sort of personal code or set of firm rules?

Obviously one possible interpretation is a character who follows the law above all over his personal inclinations, but that's not all there is to it. You could make a lawful neutral mercenary who has a very strict professional code he always follows.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:11:48 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 29, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
Well, I think that Lawful Neutral means you follow a fairly rigid set of rules or laws which you will almost never break, but will not generally either harm or protect others outside of those rules. It also tends to mean that you follow the letter of the law over the spirit of it, I think (more so than Lawful Good, who will tend to bend the letter of the law a bit in order to do the right thing).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:14:09 PM by Cherry Lover »

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 29, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »
Or at least avoid doing so if it violates the set of rules they follow in any way.

I don't think it means they can't take actions outside of it, but the creed they follow always comes first in deciding their actions.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:16:40 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 29, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Damn Tom's sheeeeet. I feel like I've missed abilities still, and am paranoid for that for the RP itself, and I don't know if it's good enough, and it was a complicated mess to write, and it feels sue-ish even though he's not really that way and oh god why is this so haaarrrdd. ;_;

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 29, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »
Damn Tom's sheeeeet. I feel like I've missed abilities still, and am paranoid for that for the RP itself, and I don't know if it's good enough, and it was a complicated mess to write, and it feels sue-ish even though he's not really that way and oh god why is this so haaarrrdd. ;_;

YAY! Someone else knows my pain~

^_^