Author Topic: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? General Discussion  (Read 125911 times)

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? General Discussion
« Reply #660 on: December 25, 2014, 03:39:41 AM »
I'm also wondering about the across the board Exceptional. Kayneth may be suited for combat because of Volumen, but it's not like he's that amazing physically. He's a researcher and polician, not a fighter.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 25, 2014, 05:10:17 AM »
Perhaps Martial Arts was a bit of a misleading statement. He doesn't really have any martial arts style this is a method to counter a weapon flying straight at his face in a way that isn't just magecraft. He had a bit of a brawl with an insane and drugged Waver during the last part of the fourth war and he sees it as a bit of a necessary precaution in order to counter people who are immune to magic. (During that fight he also lost Volumen)

This is a Kayneth from after my story about him during the fourth war. (5 years after to be exact) He's taken all that happened into account and is learning to counter anything that might happen when he returns to Fuyuki. And because he will be suddenly summoned into this world with only the clothes on his back and immediate equipment he doesn't have any other mystic codes. (Though he could make some.)

As for his stats that was me taking a look at some of the other profiles with similar characters and basing that as well as the descriptions into what I thought worked for Kayneth.

I think it's safe to say that Kayneth would be able to reinforce should he need to, that and I'm sure he's at least peak for his body. I'm sure he takes care of himself fairly well. He might not train in a martial art but he probably does basic exercises and some more noble like sports.

So took him being at or near peak human for a 35 year old (With the ability to live longer and maintain body condition by magic.) and then added reinforcement into that.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 25, 2014, 05:22:15 AM »
But he doesn't exercice.
His body is quite meh when it comes to physique, they do make a point of it in Zero.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 25, 2014, 05:55:04 AM »
He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would not bother to take care of himself.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 25, 2014, 06:00:06 AM »
There's a difference between doing exercise and being not only in tip top shape, but also being damn good at melee combat. The latter requires a ton of training. And Kayneth isn't really the type to rely on melee to fight. He's not like Rin where she had Kirei to teach her how to use martial arts, and even Rin didn't exactly go into physical combat all that often. Nor would he care about using them. Kayneth is very much a mage to the core, and that means his attack style is going to depend strongly on magecraft no matter what.

Therefore, saying that he's more physically capable than even some of the best fighters already in the OP and also making a point of him being into melee combat when not only does it not make sense for the character, but is also not supported by the text is kinda silly.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 25, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
Human in physical stats would make more sense, IMHO.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 26, 2014, 12:46:03 AM »
Alright this is clearly a losing game, perhaps my conception of Kayneth is a bit different then what I thought. I'll lower strength down to human. I do think that thanks to a combination of magic, equipment, and mystic code his agility and constitution are worthy of being exceptional.

He did have enough reaction time to survive the instant destruction of the hotel as well as the endurance to survive his body almost literally exploding. (With help but still)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2014, 03:46:49 AM »
>Equivalent protection as steel armor

So basically some punk with a .22 LR pistol can bust his coat. OK.

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 28, 2014, 04:01:32 AM »
So like

heavily canon derivative Kayneth?

Because IC he looks down on anything that isn't magic, so like martial arts eh

Might as well call it Combat Experience because of 4th, from the way you worded it

Also the reason people see that coat coming is because it's goofy and out of place in modern society, not muhgic

Catalyst Glove: A glove given to him by his former Servant Diarmuid Ua Dhuibne, while it is just a normal fingerless leather glove it contains a strong connection to his former Servant and would act as an excellent catalyst to summon him. Kayneth keeps it on his person at all times in case that need arrives.
Why didn't it get un-summoned when Lancer did?
If it was a catalyst and existed irl before lancer showed up, how did lancer get it to give to kayneth?
If it was just a glove he wore during hgw, how did it become an excellent catalyst while having zero connection to the legend and the throne version of diarmuid?
Why would kayneth try to summon a heroic spirit without the grail?
How would kayneth be able to summon a heroic spirit without the grail and all it gives?
Like, why in general

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 28, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
Hmm I think I forgot to mention that this is the Kayneth from my story and not the one during the 4th Grail War. But yes this is a Kayneth who has aged a bit more compared to his younger self.

Combat Experience is a good way to phrase what I was trying to give him yes.

As for the glove due to circumstances Lancer's body was used as a catalyst for a ritual and due to his loyalty towards his Master he thought it best to ensure Kayneth had a catalyst strong enough to ensure that if he was ever needed again he would be able to be summoned in a way that would put him in a state that closely resembled his 4th war self.

As for why the glove hasn't disappeared, well Kayneth infused magical energy into it to keep it from disappearing it. Because it's not a very high cost it's not that big a deal.

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 28, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
Hmm I think I forgot to mention that this is the Kayneth from my story and not the one during the 4th Grail War. But yes this is a Kayneth who has aged a bit more compared to his younger self.

As for the glove due to circumstances Lancer's body was used as a catalyst for a ritual and due to his loyalty towards his Master he thought it best to ensure Kayneth had a catalyst strong enough to ensure that if he was ever needed again he would be able to be summoned in a way that would put him in a state that closely resembled his 4th war self.

As for why the glove hasn't disappeared, well Kayneth infused magical energy into it to keep it from disappearing it. Because it's not a very high cost it's not that big a deal.

Why does this profile suck so much?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:57:03 PM by Puck-Chan »

On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 28, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Cut it out. Pointing out problems is fine, stupid bullshit like this is just causing trouble.

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 28, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
Cut it out. Pointing out problems is fine, stupid bullshit like this is just causing trouble.

k, watevah

On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 28, 2014, 05:06:38 PM »

The only thing I'm questioning is the use of the glove as a catalyst for summoning. Kayneth can't summon Diarmuid without the system of the Greater Grail in place but the description seems to imply that he can.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:09:39 PM by Umbra of Chaos »

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 28, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
Well the Grail was never dismantled during the 4th in this particular story so there is a chance a Grail War could start up again.

Also it ended in a manner similar to the canon version just with slightly less mass explosion from a cursed grail, and because Kayneth's been researching the Grail in general and Angra Mainyu he expects something is up. That's why he's always prepared. (And it's not like a glove takes up much room in his coat either.