Author Topic: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? General Discussion  (Read 125669 times)

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? General Discussion
« Reply #855 on: January 28, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »
Aircraft carrier already breaks already stretched suspension of disbelief. You cannot handwave it like that.

MissingMandible

• Hello Darkness my old friend. It sucks to be with you again.
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 28, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind so much about an Light Carrier, but a Supercarrier?

The United States only has like ten of them in the entire Navy.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 28, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
Just to be sure, what exactly is the problem with the carrier? It it the presence of the aircraft carrier (In which case, we're in the Nexus, it just pulled one in from somewhere), the massive threat that it poses (Can't really argue that), or the idea of the police/enforcers having a fighting chance against some of the stronger supernaturals that aren't explicitly immune to military weaponry?

All three, frankly. To the first, even if a carrier could just show up in the Nexus out of nowhere, it would be useless, because no-one knows how to actually use it, and there's no reason the government would find it in any case. To the second, yes, that is the biggest issue, because the whole reason the government is the government is precisely because it possesses overwhelming force relative to ordinary citizens (support from the populace also helps somewhat, but it seems unlikely that the average person in the Nexus would be opposed to a government that could help keep the supernatural creatures in check).

To the third, also yes, because the whole point of the setting is that the government can't do very much about the supernatural threat and, indeed, lacks much power at all. There's nothing wrong with giving enforcers the chance to be a threat to supernatural entities, but they can't be enough of a threat to negate the ability of heroic characters to actually make a real difference. And, having an aircraft carrier goes beyond just giving them a "fighting chance", it makes it pretty much impossible to avoid them. Even if you're immune to normal weapons, they can still make your life absolute hell by blowing stuff up.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:36:40 PM by Cherry Lover »

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 28, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »
All three, frankly. To the first, even if a carrier could just show up in the Nexus out of nowhere, it would be useless, because no-one knows how to actually use it, and there's no reason the government would find it in any case. To the second, yes, that is the biggest issue, because the whole reason the government is the government is precisely because it possesses overwhelming force relative to ordinary citizens (support from the populace also helps somewhat, but it seems unlikely that the average person in the Nexus would be opposed to a government that could help keep the supernatural creatures in check).

To the third, also yes, because the whole point of the setting is that the government can't do very much about the supernatural threat and, indeed, lacks much power at all. There's nothing wrong with giving enforcers the chance to be a threat to supernatural entities, but they can't be enough of a threat to negate the ability of heroic characters to actually make a real difference. And, having an aircraft carrier goes beyond just giving them a "fighting chance", it makes it pretty much impossible to avoid them. Even if you're immune to normal weapons, they can still make your life absolute hell by blowing stuff up.

You got me on the first and second points, but to the third, I have one counter argument to offer.

Couldn't Dan just make the Enforcers a PMC or something? Or would that just make the problem worse?
[8:49:50 AM] Daniel Mahan: He can still get RAEG
[8:49:52 AM] Daniel Mahan: Just better at not loosing his marbles over it.
[8:50:09 AM] Helligator:> losing his marbles over it
                                      I seeeee what you did there

[11:00:22 PM] francobull III: elf, will you do rin?
[11:00:33 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I would love to do Rin!
[11:00:39 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I'd bend her over and . . .
[11:00:45 PM] francobull III: woah woah

francobulli'd - Today at 4:53 PM
i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh

Sakura Today at 7:09 PM
don't see anything that triggers my gm senses

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »
Also I'm going to be MIA for a few days due to Convention.

Aww. Guess Mia is not going to be on Day 2 for a bit.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 28, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Couldn't he just scrap the carrier?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 28, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »

You got me on the first and second points, but to the third, I have one counter argument to offer.

Couldn't Dan just make the Enforcers a PMC or something? Or would that just make the problem worse?

What do you mean, PMC?

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
Private Military Contractors.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 28, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »
I may have overdone it slightly in the NPC thread.

It was a thought exercise.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2015, 08:16:07 PM »
Private Military Contractors.

Ah, right....

Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. If such a group wasn't part of the government from the outset, it would pretty quickly become the government, because it has such overwhelming force, and the government lacks the funds to really pay them.

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
Ah, right....

Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. If such a group wasn't part of the government from the outset, it would pretty quickly become the government, because it has such overwhelming force, and the government lacks the funds to really pay them.

Or they could be the guys who only get called in when the shit really and truly hits the fan. Precisely because the government lacks the funds to pay them unless they really need them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:20:23 PM by I_care_not_till_I_must »

i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »
No Private Military Contract could afford a supercarrier ever, or any combat ship.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:38 PM »
I may have overdone it slightly in the NPC thread.

It was a thought exercise.

why would you post an NPC no one could ever use

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
Because of boredom?

BTW, soon Mordred will strike a new Contract. It's a one dot clause, basically allows her to walk on surfaces that would not support her weight normally and decrease damage from falling from buildings (in NWoD terms it reduces that damage from lethal to bashing, but don't expect her surviving a fall from skyscraper that way).

I wanted to announce it in advance, I still will need to roleplay that.

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 28, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
No Private Military Contract could afford a supercarrier ever, or any combat ship.

Personal curiosity here, but what kind of resources would you need to be able to maintain one? I can guess at the basic ones (fuel, armaments, etc), but...okay I guess I'm asking how much of what you'd need to support one.

i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh