Author Topic: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? General Discussion  (Read 125114 times)

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? General Discussion
« Reply #870 on: January 28, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »
Whole shipyard to service the thing, thousands of staff to serve on the carrier (they are sea cities in essence) and access to nuclear fuel, among many things.

No wonder only select few countries can maintain even a one, and USA crews merely 10 of them.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
Because of boredom?

that would be the explanation for making the sheet

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 28, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »
Yeah, Yolf has more time than me and other people, curse his luck.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 28, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »
If anyone wants to start interacting with Kayneth create some sort of magical disturbance near Grenth's house and I can have him detect it.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:46 PM »
Day 2 is starting.

You can literally just have Kayneth leave to try and find a real place to stay. And have him run into something.

I mean, there are a shit ton of magical anomalies in this city cause Nexus. The city itself is an anomaly.

Kaze

• Kek Lord Supreme
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
Personal curiosity here, but what kind of resources would you need to be able to maintain one? I can guess at the basic ones (fuel, armaments, etc), but...okay I guess I'm asking how much of what you'd need to support one.

These carriers actually run on nuclear reactors and steam turbines, so they can actually go for around 2 decades without needing a "refuel", or replacement reactors. Rearming the plane's ordinance after it's been expended is also pretty much impossible. Food and water for the crew is an obvious requirement, but I'm not counting that as an issue since it apparently isn't for the rest of the Nexus even though it probably should be.

Basing the argument on "There's no way they could afford a carrier" is really just semantics though because when it comes down to it the Nexus economy is 100% bullshit. If your issue is that having that many planes is just too OP even with the limits imposed by rules of engagement, that's another matter entirely.
YOLF: "Do ghosts have aids"

YOLF: Even if God forgives you, you shall not forgive yourself for being here [in CE].

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2015, 10:35:49 PM »
I think trying to have an aircraft carrier is in the same vein as summoning Gilgamesh or Karna in order to have a city wrecking fight.

Is it possible? Sure.

But should you do it? No I don't think it'd be a good idea, despite this being a freeform RP everything needs to have its limits and I think a line should be drawn here.

Also let me modify my previous Kayneth question, does anyone want to have Kayneth join their party?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:36:38 PM by Milbunk »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 28, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
About that new Contract, I'm accused of that happening too soon, so I assure that while I plan to develop my character over time into more capable, it will take progressively more time to develop more Contracts, so so forging such a minor Contract today does not mean I will spam a new one every day.

I will wait for the approval, possibly in meantime develop the post to put more effort into researching how to forge the Contract or make it more difficult to do so.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:29 PM »
Ah, right....

Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. If such a group wasn't part of the government from the outset, it would pretty quickly become the government, because it has such overwhelming force, and the government lacks the funds to really pay them.

Or they could be the guys who only get called in when the shit really and truly hits the fan. Precisely because the government lacks the funds to pay them unless they really need them.

Except that they have more firepower than literally the entire rest of the Nexus at this point. If they're amoral enough to just sit around on a aircraft carrier instead of fighting without pay, then I would expect them to make a grab for power and take control of the Nexus outright. Most people wouldn't even mind if it means that they get more protection from Supernatural threats.

Personal curiosity here, but what kind of resources would you need to be able to maintain one? I can guess at the basic ones (fuel, armaments, etc), but...okay I guess I'm asking how much of what you'd need to support one.

These carriers actually run on nuclear reactors and steam turbines, so they can actually go for around 2 decades without needing a "refuel", or replacement reactors. Rearming the plane's ordinance after it's been expended is also pretty much impossible. Food and water for the crew is an obvious requirement, but I'm not counting that as an issue since it apparently isn't for the rest of the Nexus even though it probably should be.

Fuel isn't the problem here. The problem is that aircraft carriers are fucking complicated and require constant skilled maintenance to continue to run, not to mention a skilled crew to operate them. These guys do not have the skills to do that. It's like giving a 15th century person a computer without any instructions and expecting them to be able to actually use it.

Basing the argument on "There's no way they could afford a carrier" is really just semantics though because when it comes down to it the Nexus economy is 100% bullshit. If your issue is that having that many planes is just too OP even with the limits imposed by rules of engagement, that's another matter entirely.

Well, the "they can't afford" it argument is only a small part of the issue. It's not even cost, in any case, it's maintenance, spare parts and crew. Plus, it is way too OP, and any group that had possession of such a thing in the Nexus would realistically end up running the Nexus.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:20:14 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:03 PM »
Edited the post, it will be more of a lengthy quest to strike a one.

Also, Dan, Nexus is a big city, but no city-state and no organisation independent from a major power can maintain a carrier. It's basically breaking the suspension of disbelief too hard.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 28, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »
Even with someone with a fuckton of money like Tom who's building up a military level security detail would struggle with it I would think. And that's someone that could have access to both the funds and personnel needed. So that's probably something to consider.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 28, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »
Even with someone with a fuckton of money like Tom who's building up a military level security detail would struggle with it I would think. And that's someone that could have access to both the funds and personnel needed. So that's probably something to consider.

Yeah, I think even Bill Gates would struggle to pay the maintenance and running costs for an Aircraft Carrier. And, as I said, anyone who had such a thing would be de facto in charge of the Nexus anyway, simply because no-one could stand up to them.

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 29, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
Ah, right....

Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. If such a group wasn't part of the government from the outset, it would pretty quickly become the government, because it has such overwhelming force, and the government lacks the funds to really pay them.

Or they could be the guys who only get called in when the shit really and truly hits the fan. Precisely because the government lacks the funds to pay them unless they really need them.

Except that they have more firepower than literally the entire rest of the Nexus at this point. If they're amoral enough to just sit around on a aircraft carrier instead of fighting without pay, then I would expect them to make a grab for power and take control of the Nexus outright. Most people wouldn't even mind if it means that they get more protection from Supernatural threats.

Well, the "they can't afford" it argument is only a small part of the issue. It's not even cost, in any case, it's maintenance, spare parts and crew. Plus, it is way too OP, and any group that had possession of such a thing in the Nexus would realistically end up running the Nexus.

Admittedly, this might be an interesting twist to the RP. Instead of worrying about the random supernatural chaos, we have to worry about an authoritarian order with the power to back it up.
[8:49:50 AM] Daniel Mahan: He can still get RAEG
[8:49:52 AM] Daniel Mahan: Just better at not loosing his marbles over it.
[8:50:09 AM] Helligator:> losing his marbles over it
                                      I seeeee what you did there

[11:00:22 PM] francobull III: elf, will you do rin?
[11:00:33 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I would love to do Rin!
[11:00:39 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I'd bend her over and . . .
[11:00:45 PM] francobull III: woah woah

francobulli'd - Today at 4:53 PM
i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh

Sakura Today at 7:09 PM
don't see anything that triggers my gm senses

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 29, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »
Ah, right....

Admittedly, this might be an interesting twist to the RP. Instead of worrying about the random supernatural chaos, we have to worry about an authoritarian order with the power to back it up.

It could be, yes, although Rider could probably take it down fairly quickly due to being a spiritual being and, thus, not vulnerable to conventional weapons. Still, it would change the focus of the RP quite a bit.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 29, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »
Please stop with the enormous quote chains, delete some of the older stuff.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end