Author Topic: Cross Effects 3.0 - November 16, 2014—April 13, 2015  (Read 474550 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects 3.0 - The Third Time's the Charm? In Character Game Thread
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »
Law rubbed his temples as Mia grabbed the phone and did something that would probably be comically adorable and endearing if it was an actual little kid and not... whatever it was she actually was. Instead, he decided to concentrate on Forest's comment. "'78 Smokey and the Bandit. Repaired it up for fun after getting it dirt cheap. I'll stick on your tail the best I can - and please take the kid. I can't handle her and Shyrow." Law butchered the pronuciation but really couldn't care. He had a headache. It was cold. He needed either a drink or a smoke or someone to shoot him full of heroin or something, anything to take his mind off of all this craziness.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:23:21 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
Rebeca

“Well, that was witty.” She said in response to his comment, well, he thought of his own stupidity with that one, so she should rub it in his face a bit. She then thought for a moment.

“Port Manor Road? It’s not too far from here.” Rebeca replied, as she started to check how dirty she had gotten, honestly she was lucky, it could have been much worse.

“So you’re an MMA fighter?” Well, she knew that answer, but she had to keep up appearances. The one thing she learned though his life that knowing things she has no business knowing was generally not a good thing.

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2014, 12:46:04 AM »
Puck

Mordred

One hour passed when they reached the park from which Mordred emerged. "The Hedge Gate should be somewhere here." Finally she found it, a pathway between two old trees. "Once we go there, we should prepare for the worst, there is lot of dangerous stuff out there" saying that, she crossed the barrier between Nexus and its Hedge.

"Pfft, please. Danger is my last name," Puck scoffed as he posed in that stereotypical knight armor out of Isidro's fantasies, "I fear no beast as I am the master of Jigen!"

To eyes of the wanderers, a habitat full of brambs and old trees forming something akin to maze opened. "Let's pray we don't stray of the path. Can you sense anything like Goblin Fruits nearby?"

"Naw, gotta go deeper, girly. Probably down there."

As the fairy said this, he was already wearing earphones connected to a metal-detector strapped to his right hand. The monitor was at a blank with nothing happening.

"Keeeeep going~"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:46:37 AM by Puck-Chan »

On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2014, 01:04:18 AM »
Time

With a finger pointing at the Dead Apostle, the swordsman continued, "You realize this boyo right there consumes people? What would you do with him?"

"...consumes people?", he whispered, flatly, without any sort of emotion behind his words...

Hearing the swordsman's words, Costin's eyes widened, he let out a heavy breath as he stumbled on his feet, almost losing balance.
A slight spasm on the left side of his mouth, his breath cut short and body trembling as if he was being possessed, he slowly turned his head until it faced Time.

Not a single sound emanated from the undead fiend's body.

Under the shining moonlight, the vampire stood still, not moving a muscle as if he was a porcelaine doll, or a broken automaton who had lost all ability to move...
And under the shining moonlight, a vampire stood, blankly staring at the man who, without knowing, had committed the worst possible injury towards the dead apostle, that question opened an old wound now digging into his psyche like a red hot needle scraping it's way into his madness.

Such a crime would not be forgiven, could not be forgiven.
If that is how he was seen, if all these people thought of him as a monster, if the role of the cruel beast had to be forced upon him, he'd play the role, he'd show them how terrifying a true monster could be...

"..." A sudden snapping loudly broke the deafening silence.

And in a heartbeat, as if suddenly reanimated by a great calamity, Costin's body tensed, muscles pressing so tightly they could crush his very bones.
Unblinking blood-red eyes sparkled with anger and closed into a murderous glare, a glare that could freeze hell itself, rage unlike anything he ever felt was invading his mind and consuming his reason...

And as his face contorted in anger, blood vessels protruding on the twisted white canvas painted by fury, he felt a burning sensation from within.
Clenching his fists shut, his teeth gnashed wildly and as if possessed by a rabid mongrel.
His hands were now closed so tightly the sharp nails dug and scraped into flesh.

Bloodlust and rage unlike anything ever witnessed had now completely overwhelmed his senses, he could feel nothing but his boiling blood and a continuous snapping sound.
It took a while to realize the snapping sound was in fact the dead apostle's bones breaking and reconstructing, but he cared little about this.

Thus, the glare slowly reverted to a crazed expression, the enraged figure's mouth curled into a deathly rictus, his very expression changing from a a figure of absolute fury to a figure of an infinite madness.

And as the tension in the air became higher and higher, the heretic finally let out a breath.
The dry breath became a cold chuckle, and the chuckle gradually increased in magnitude until it could only be seen as a mad laughter, a howling laugh so monstrous it could drive the crows from a battlefield.

Yes, what the swordsman had said completely broke Costin, and as the mad vampire convulsed into a maniacal hilarity, a menacing great pressure burst from him in the blink of an eye, an incredible amount of hatred powerful enough to physically manifest itself in the world.
This pressure, years of pent up anger and frustration, all of his hatred for the humanity that rejected him, for the curse that had claimed his innocence...
All of this convulsed into a spiral of death, a never ending cycle of murder and carnage.
The pressure began overwhelming the very surroundings, an uncontrollable whirlwind, snow being blown away as ice crumbled and windows shattered, the asphalt ground slowly cracked under all the pressure.

The laughter went on, as the manifestation of murderous intent slowly began to fade, the laughter diminished, the tall figure now gaining composure, now that the madness and anger had been let out, all that stood was hatred.

"Consumes people huh...",

His hair, now hanging loose without being held in a braid, along with his almost serene expression made Costin resemble a completely different person, his red eyes now staring directly into Time and Grenth.

"Yes, what to do of the inhuman monster who has ended so many human lives?", he muttered, walking towards a pile of corpses standing at the end of the alleyway, all while stepping on a cadaver's skull on his way, crushing it as if it was nothing but an egg.

Once at the end of his path, he grinned coldly releasing a dry chuckle, caressing one of the bodies in the pile moving yet so slightly, and plunged his hand into it's head.

"Fufufufufu... yes, if you truly are the pacifist you claim to be, what will you do in order to stop me, the abominable red winter's hound Costin Andrei?" He snarled psychotically, now sitting on a throne of dead bodies as he licked the blood from his hands.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:15:35 AM by francobull3 »

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2014, 01:25:19 AM »
Grenth

Grenth simply regarded the yelling man. But there was something else, the magic in the air got thicker, and the air even colder.

“So you took the lives from these ones? Very well, they will punish you for taking which was not yours to take.” Grenth said ominously as green and black energy began to bellow off  his form.

Then the pile of corpses began to shift and move, their bones bent, broke, and reformed. Their flesh was stitched together, and their sinew bound itself to the forms new limbs.

And what stood in its place was a massive beast.

It then roared, its sound feeling as if it shook the world around it.

“Know the punishment for such a crime.” Grenth said as the beast swung down with its axe like claw with enough power to easily shatter the body of the murderous man.

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 03, 2014, 01:33:49 AM »
Time

Time was rather surprised that the atmosphere changed pretty quickly for a few words. Did he flip a switch? Perhaps, but what is this about now? The swordsman was about to draw his blade, but the environment got noticeably colder. He turned to look back at the magic-user.

"Is he making a move?"

He would get his answer as flesh and bone continued to form into some form of a grotesque creature. Big and dangerous, a creature formed from the contrivances of necromancy. Time grimaced at its appearance, but simply watched to see what would happen in this new conflict.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:35:53 AM by Puck-Chan »

> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2014, 01:35:18 AM »
"Naw, gotta go deeper, girly. Probably down there."

As the fairy said this, he was already wearing earphones connected to a metal-detector strapped to his right hand. The monitor was at a blank with nothing happening.

"Keeeeep going~"

Mordred

"If we find them like that it will be too suspiciously easy" Mordred remarked, amazed how by following Puck's direction they did not stray into Thorns. After some time, they finally stumbled on a Trod. It resembled a cleared off road countryside with "orchards" of Hedge plants with ripe Goblin Fruit on the other side of the road. "Wow, we hit the jackp-" then she heard the howls "Or not. I knew it has been far too easy. I don't know to which part of Nexus the Trod will open, but first I need to deal with those damn briarwolves." she said, drawing a spear as long as her. 

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 03, 2014, 01:56:34 AM »
Puck

"If we find them like that it will be too suspiciously easy" Mordred remarked, amazed how by following Puck's direction they did not stray into Thorns.

"Hah! Just who the hell do you think I am?" Puck smirked as he wore in a garb reminiscent to Kamina from Gurren Lagann, all complete with the fancy orange shades. It's amazing how little credit the best elf gets. Surely, this ignorant girl will know the true glory of the Puck!

"Wow, we hit the jackp-" then she heard the howls

The elf was about to let out a singsong voice of "I told ya so~" if it weren't for the sudden arrivals. He was rather quick to hid behind the cover of her magical pauldron while peeking over to see their aggressive maws.

"Or not. I knew it has been far too easy. I don't know to which part of Nexus the Trod will open, but first I need to deal with those damn briarwolves." she said, drawing a spear as long as her.

"Damn them for scaring me like that! Take this! HEAVEN'S RETRIBUTION! GO TAKE 'EM LASSY!" Puck cried imperiously with chestnut burr in a samurai-esque garb while jabbing in the direction of the briarwolves.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »
Sarse

Sarse swallowed dry once, and dropped his shoulders from the tension he had suddenly knotted in them due to Ann's ridiculously close cut. In hindsight, he had brought this down upon himself. But knowing that didn't make the current situation any less constricting. At the moment, he was a frustrated and flustered angel with a vessel that enabled him to feel physical urges and lord, why did Death have to be hot?

Despite himself, he sighed in resignation.

"I will take the clothes, thank you." The angel said, with a sense of grim foreboding. Swallowing the remains of his wrecked corporeal pride, Sarse dropped his ruined pants and jacket. And avoiding her eyes, he reached for the jeans and suit jacket to change.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2014, 03:23:36 AM »
Ann

Death hummed in appreciation as she eyed the naked angel. He was definitely toned and there was a vitality in him that was delightful for her to see. Ann took one last look at all of him and committing every part of his body to memory before moving behind him. There she leaned on his shoulders and with her mouth right next to his ear whispered, "Go ahead and take the clothes or if you are so inclined take me, Little Angel, but make that choice now."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:24:46 AM by Umbra of Chaos »

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2014, 03:23:44 AM »
Vlad Drăculea

"Wiseman has presented quite the gift, my lord. I vouch for his ability."

Vlad reclined in his seat, the gears turning in his head. His butler did not give true praise lightly, and for him to compliment the magus such, the wizard's work must have been exceptional.

"...Is that so?"

The lord of the castle motioned for Wiseman to come closer, and gave him instructions in a clear, powerful voice. "I have decided. You will be brought into my service, 'Wiseman', and your payment shall be as you have named. There is not much shortage of wealth, here... in the meantime, I would have you given room and board. Butler," Vlad called over to his loyal servant. "Show our newest member to the large room on the lower floor, next to the workshop. I believe he will find the location to his liking."

Ezra Longinia

Ezra gripped his spear in one hand and turned the corner, kicking off of the street. He'd heard the armored thing command something, he'd heard the swordsman's exclamation... but seeing the golem was another story entirely. It was a twisted, gruesome thing, a stitched-up mockery of the human body - and he'd seen worse.

There was no time to waste; he wasn't going to run and didn't want to get within range of that thing's fists. The Lance was brought up to his side, then over his head, then thrown with his full strength at the back of the golem, intent on striking it down with one blow.

Ezra dived over to the other side of the building, rolling into a crouch as the spear soared towards the golem.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:32:14 AM by Mooncake »
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:38 AM »
Rider felt Sakura break out of her embrace, before taking hold of her hands and staring intently into her eyes.

"Rider!" Sakura said.

Rider could tell what Sakura was thinking even before she started to ask. She could tell that Sakura was desperate for her to remain, and there was only one thing she could be asking.

She wants me to form a contract with her.

Rider was unsure what to do. On one hand, she already had a master, who she deeply cared for, and who cared deeply for her. She was sure Sakura would come looking for her, and she didn't want to betray that love and trust by abandoning the magical bond they had shared for nearly 40 years. She couldn't just abandon her, not after all they'd been through. But, on the other hand, this Sakura clearly needed her, and she was right in front of her now. Besides, she did need prana. If she ran out, she would vanish, and that would mean abandoning them both.

But, if I do contract with her, then won't I lose my connection to my Sakura? If that happens, she won't be able to find me, or even know that I am still alive....

In fact, was the contract even possible? After all, she already had a contract. Could she even make another one?

What should I do?

Ideally, she would like the prana without the formal contract. She had no issue at all with protecting this Sakura, or even with contracting with her, she just didn't want to do anything that might hurt her true master. If she broke the contract, then her Sakura might feel abandoned. Further, it would break off any link they had, making it far more difficult for Sakura to find her. And, she somewhat doubted that Sakura would give up easily.

Hmm, maybe I should suggest an alternative....

Before she could say anything, though, she had to wait for Sakura to make the formal offer.

"Form a contract with me, I'm not going to lose you again! I refuse to! I refuse...", Sakura said, clearly distraught at the possibility of losing Rider once more.

Oh....

Refusing would break her heart....

This Sakura might not be the same Sakura Rider knew, but even if her life had taken a slightly different course she was still, fundamentally, the same girl who Rider had sworn to protect on the night of her summoning, all those years ago. Rider could not simply abandon her. Not when she was like this.

Her true master had Shirou, not to mention her sister and her children. If Rider never returned to her, she would mourn the loss of a good friend, but she would recover, and go on to live a fulfilled and happy life. If Rider refused this Sakura's heartfelt plea, on the other hand, it would break her heart, possibly irreversibly. She'd already lost Shirou, to be rejected by the one person who had always stood by her would be too much to take.

But, can it even be done?

Still, Rider had to try. It might work. After all, her true master was not currently in this world, so her contract was currently dormant. Whilst Rider could tell that the connection between them still existed, it was unclear if the world would recognise a contract with a person who did not exist.

Actually, technically, she does exist. She's stood right in front of me....

Hmm....

Thinking about it, perhaps the fact that her new master was the same person as her old one would help smooth things over. With a bit of luck, she could retain both contracts, allowing her old master to find her if she ever did reach this world.

Rider looked back at Sakura and smiled.

"Sakura, I would be glad to contract with you. However, my contract with my current master is still intact, albeit dormant due to her absence from this world. I am unsure if forming a new contract is even possible. I will happily attempt it, and regardless of the outcome I will do my best to remain by your side until you are able to return to your own world, but you shouldn't raise your hopes too far", Rider said, softly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:00:37 AM by Cherry Lover »

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2014, 04:15:14 AM »
Well, it was great she knew the street, teasing aside. Maybe now I could actually go do something in this town that can vaguely be regarded as normal.

That is to say, go grapple with some sweaty men and interlock bodies.

Ha, gayyyyyy.

“So you’re an MMA fighter?” Well, she knew that answer, but she had to keep up appearances. The one thing she learned though his life that knowing things she has no business knowing was generally not a good thing.

"I, yeah, how'd you guess?" I ask, arching my eyebrow like that one guy in stargate SG-1, Teal'c. Indeed, O'neill, how could she have known such a thing?

I guess the gym must be a popular spot. Or the road is an empty husk with nothing on it except a few shoddy stripclubs, the sketchiest bars in town and a few MMA gyms. Looking like a respectable young man, she must have assumed me a fighter.

I slap myself on the forehead. That's what I'd forgotten! She called me Donnel, back at Tim's!

Oh ho, now I get it. She's just like me! transported from good ol' normal people universe to here. Except, somehow, she went to an amateur tournament at some point and saw me fight. That's how she knows my name, and knows I'm a fighter!

Either that, or she works for the government and/or a local cabal as a spy, and is here to make sure I'm not a person from normal-people land who'll end up being dangerous in this environment. Like a politician, or a Jehova's witness.

"Anyway, sorry to be a bother, but could you guide me there?"

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:38 AM »
Rider looked back at Sakura and smiled.

"Sakura, I would be glad to contract with you. However, my contract with my current master is still intact, albeit dormant due to her absence from this world. I am unsure if forming a new contract is even possible. I will happily attempt it, and regardless of the outcome I will do my best to remain by your side until you are able to return to your own world, but you shouldn't raise your hopes too far", Rider said, softly.
Sakura entire being perked up upon hearing Rider agree to form a contract with her. She’s going to do it Sakura was elated. She quickly went through her head, going over the steps of forming a contract with a familiar. She paused, took a deep breath, stepped back and began to speak.

“My name is Sakura Matou. Before me is Medusa, heroic spirit of the Rider class. I come before you seeking to form a contract.” A magic circle materialized beneath Rider’s feet.

“The terms are as follow: You shall serve me loyally, and obey my call and commands. In return, I shall provide you with prana to survive, and act as a spiritual anchor. I ask of you, do you accept the conditions of the contract? “

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:32 AM »
Tom

About One Year Ago

"You know something young man? I have a vision for this city. This crazy messed up berg claims a lotta lives, there ain't no doubt about that, but do you know what this little company can give 'em son? Hope. A symbol! They look at this here tower, see men and women dressed in battle armor with our logo on it, and do you know what they'll say? 'See, life in this damn town sucks, but hey, with Takeoff Solutions on our side, we can at least sleep a little easier and live life a little better,' huh? And you know what? I want you to be a part of that!"

In the sprawling tower made of steel and glass, two men walked towards the spacious office nestled on the top floor. The talkative one, a man of forty or so, his chestnut hair sprinkled with gray, shot his taller, younger, more silent companion a winning smile. The youth, in contrast, looked far more pensive, something in his eyes suggesting weariness and grief that was just hidden away from the older man, and instead came off as nothing more than proud indifference. Convinced his sales pitch wasn't strong enough, the older man continued.

"Aw, come now, Tommy! Eh, can I call you Tommy? Of course I can, we're all friends here, right?" He put an arm behind "Tommy's" back and moved him towards the rather large windows. "Give me a smile, huh? This is a golden opportunity! A chance of a lifetime! Any man your age would be begging for this sort of chance."

At last, the young man spoke. In contrast to his shorter, older companion's energetic tenor, his voice was a solemn, yet subtle baritone. "And what chance is that precisely, Mr. Johnson? You've failed to explain to me exactly what you want from me."

Johnson continued beaming- there was a flash of nervousness, but he hid it well enough. "Well son, I've seen you use your... ahem, unique talents. And I think that could come in very useful for our company! Now, you're a bright young man, right? I know you know a good opportunity when you see one! Now, we could compensate you with a very nice amount, oh yes. A bright mind needs a bright paycheck, eh? Comfy living space, sense of security, beautiful women, fancy wines, and more! You can have it all!"

"And how exactly do you intend to utilize my... 'unique talents?'"

"Well, ah... we would have to have you down in the lab a little bit. But that's no problem, right? Just a few needle pricks, some tests, that's not so bad, right? Just a little bitty obstacle into making the big time, am I right? Now, let me see here..." Johnson's arm dropped down. While he'd been talking, he had failed to hear the popping and snapping of wires from the security cameras, or the faint wiff of ozone, or noticed the subtle movement of his young guest's hand.

"Leeet me see heeeerre... now where's that contract? Have it all ready for you to sign if you just give me-"

Any further words were cut off as Tom's hand began to make a motion as if squeezing something... perhaps about the size of a heart...

Mr. Johnson clutched his chest, emitting strangled cries as he looked on at Tom helplessly. He slowly made his way towards the young man, but only managed to make it to the middle of the room before falling to his knees a foot away from the fair haired youth's feet. With one last strangled gasp, he collapsed, and froze.

The sounds of boots against floor filled the hallway. There was a vague sense of something being changed, and yet no one could quite figure out what. But that didn't matter then. What mattered to the security personnel rushing to the top floor office is that something had happened to the cameras. Which could mean that something happened to the boss...

The doors burst open violently. The group made their way to stop whatever threat had hurt their employer, but stopped. It seemed they were too late.

Before them, crouched on the floor, cradling Mr. Johnson, now former CEO of Takeoff Solutions in his arms, was Thomas Hale, nephew to the now dearly departed business titan. His handsome yet stern features were contorted with pain and weariness, beads of sweat on his face and neck, his fair skin white as a sheet. He looked up at the group of security personnel, his voice as pained as his face.

"Why? Why weren't you here sooner?"

A tall, imposing man made his way in front of the others. "Sir, the security cameras. Something went wrong. What's worse, the feed somehow got corrupted, and our computers were compromised, and-"

"And if you were in any way as competent as my uncle needed you to be, maybe he would still be alive now."

"Y-yes sir. T-though if I may, what could we have done? I mean, even if you had called an ambulance-"

Tom's eyes narrowed. "Are you blaming me for my uncle's death?"

The man shook his head rapidly. "N-no sir. Of course not sir." He raised an eyebrow. "Although, you were alone with him at the time, sir."

Sharp violet eyes met the security head's own blue. "I would invite you to see the body for yourself then, if you dare to suggest that I have killed him. Does he look poisoned to you? Beaten? Assaulted? Tell me!"

The man winced. With a sigh, he gestured to one of the personnel behind him. A woman, dark haired, dark eyed, about in her 30's, made her way to the deceased CEO's side. She checked the body carefully, and then looked into Tom's eyes. She looked up at her superior.

"Best as I can tell, he had a heart attack sir. There's no sign of forced trauma. ...I believe Mr. Hale's telling the truth."

Tom's gaze remained on the head of security, causing the man to shudder. "You heard her. Then it's settled. I can't rely on someone that would not only accuse me of killing my own dear uncle but also cannot respond quickly enough to danger to protect me or this company. And as you obviously seem to know, I am the heir. Which does give me motive, yes. But is not a motive I care about. Therefore, you can go clear out your belongings. You're fired."

The man opened his mouth to protest, but quickly shut it. He knew it wouldn't get him anywhere.

With that, the sharp gaze turned on the woman, making her wince. "You, on the other hand, seemed to be able to assess the situation rather quickly, and your medical training is useful. What is your name?"

The woman swallowed. "Carol. Carol Chandler, sir."

"You have just been promoted to his position. Forgive me for being so sudden with this."

Her eyes widened. "Sir? Are you sure you want to be making decisions like this right now? You're obviously upset sir. Shouldn't you rest before doing something rash like this?"

"And this is why I chose you. No, on this particular matter I feel my head is quite clear despite the circumstances. If you feel I made the wrong choice, you can correct me later." He looked down at the body and squeezed his eyes shut. "Now please, if you could..."

Carol nodded, and turned to the people that were now in charge of. "Someone go and get a hold of some EMTs and a body bag. I'm going to stay with our new boss." She turned back to Tom, and with some effort, managed to make him let go of the body, gently laying it on the ground. "Alright, there we go. Now then, let's get you resting, it's going to be rough on you for awhile." She looked into his eyes. "Can you tell me where your apartment is? I can go and drive you home at least."

He looked at her blankly.

"...Ooookay then. Then if you don't mind, I'll be taking you back to my place. It's not much right now, but it lets me keep an eye on you at least." She gave him a wan smile and a chuckle. "And hey, I have enough mac and cheese for the both of us. I know it isn't much, but I figure you could use a friend right now, you know?"

Tom looked at her, stunned. "You.. you would do this for me?"

Carol frowned. "Why wouldn't I? I mean, even if you're my boss now, this isn't exactly a good day for you, you know? You just lost someone you cared about. That's hard on anyone, especially someone as young as you. You have anyone I can call for you? A friend, any other family?"

Tom shook his head. "No. No, I don't."

She gently put a hand on his shoulder. "Well. That settles it, doesn't it? Come on now, let me help you up."

The young man hesitated, but eventually allowed Carol to help him stand. She nearly fell over at first, having to shoulder more weight than she had been expecting. Well, that, and he was a few inches short of being a full foot taller than her in height.

"Hey... you really don't look too good. Are you okay? You don't just look like you're grieving, you look like you're about sick."

Tom winced, but shook his head. "No, no I'm fine. This is nothing."

Carol frowned up at him. "That's not nothing. You look awful. Here, I'll help you to my car." As she started moving him along, she spoke up again. "Look. I'm your head of security, so it's my job to take care of you, right? And in my eyes that doesn't just include making sure you don't take a bullet to the brain. I'm going to keep you healthy, mister. No point protecting you only to have you croak from the flu or something. Now let's get you home to my apartment. Forget the mac and cheese, I'll try fixing you something decent. Even if you gave me this job on a whim, I want to do my best with it. Now let's get going!"

Tom looked down at her in surprise before he chucked weakly. "And this is why I hired you."

Now
The room was dark except for a series of monitors filling the room with light. Tom sat before them, his elbows on the desk in front of him, his fingers rubbing his temples. Nervously standing behind him was Chief Head of Security Carol Chandler, who hastily took a sip of her latte before speaking up.

"Chaotic night in the Nexus tonight, isn't it sir?"

The young CEO sighed. "Perhaps a bit more chaotic than usual, but from what I've seen from the surveillance cameras we installed throughout the city, it's not too different from normal. No, what concerns me is what was footage was caught from this very building...

Tom's eyes were focused on the monitor showing a video of a man carrying off a small container. The monitor immediately adjacent to it showed the same man making a phone call. Both were muted.

"I... I wanted to apologize for that sir. If you feel I-"

"You have nothing to worry about Ms. Chandler. I personally saw into the security surrounding the lab. I ensured personally that it was tight as possible. I made every effort to make sure all that was impenetrable. But our dear friend managed to dupe even me. If I punished you for incompetence for this situation, Ms. Chandler, I may as well punish myself." He looked back towards her. "Please, take a seat. I have a feeling you need it as much as I do."

Carol plopped into a chair near Tom a bit harder than one would expect from someone with such a high profile position. But then, it was just the two of them in the room, and Carol knew her boss well enough by now to know he didn't give a damn how formal she was about such things in his presence, so she wasn't too worried.

"Oh, believe me, I do. I can't believe we had a Nazi sneak into our employment like that, and into our labs no less." She laughed, though it was tinged with nervousness. "I'm half expecting some our staff to go around saying 'Hail Hydra' now or something. I know it's paranoid of me, but..."

Tom shook his head. "Your fear is justified. While my own investigation has made me conclude that thus far it is only him, if you would like Internal Affairs to carry on a secondary investigation, it would perhaps make us both feel more at ease."

Carol sighed. "You're doing my job for me I see," she said.

"Hardly. I merely have a rather personal investment in what he stole. I do trust you, but what he took from me... I have to ensure that he doesn't fulfill his plans for it, and that means involving myself personally."

"So... I know you're keeping it pretty hush hush, but... what exactly did he steal from us?"

Carol had gotten better about meeting Tom's fierce gaze. She only flinched a little this time as his eyes met hers. "You are already aware of the policy that I put in place in terms of scientific study, that unless I specifically make an exception, all specimens studied must be either genuine volunteers or at least recently deceased, and not killed in the lab unless it was done in self defense. Herr Becke made off with one of the excepted cases. One that I was seeing into personally." His hand formed a fist, which was trembling. "That DNA was from a powerful monster. Potentially powerful enough to destroy the city by itself. While not exactly unique in the Nexus, that was the only sample of DNA from something that strong in the lab."

He gestured towards the monitor with the phone call. "It took me awhile to decrypt this, but what I've learned from it is worrying. Herr Becke intends to create clones from the sample he stole. He would have a personal army of living weapons at his disposal, and that's even assuming they would obey. In which case, from what I know... it's quite possible they would destroy the city. However... I did manage to track down the current location of his lab. So it is at least possible to stop him. The only question is how..."

Carol took another sip from her latte. "What do you want to do about it sir? Do you want me to send troops after him? The new battle armor is ready."

Tom shook his head. "No. He would only flee to a new location. And even if it would take him time to rebuild, he could still conceal himself as well as he did the first time. And this is a man that managed to outdo even our finest technical minds. We can't take that risk."

"We probably need to send a team of some kind at least. It's possible I could still form a team of our own people, just not as recognizable as...well, us."

"You are on the right track I believe. But it cannot be our own, likely he's seen employee data. He would recognize them." His closed his eyes for a moment. "Although... perhaps I finally have an idea."

"Well, I'm sure open to it. What you got?"

"We hire mercenaries. A group of men and women competent enough to get the job done, but greedy enough to not ask questions. You recall that so called 'decker' that attempted to steal from us? I have... spoken to him a few times since we last met. He is now... loyal to us. I have ways of relaying my orders through him, so he will act as my way of keeping our hirelings in line. From there we will conduct a mission to retrieve what data has been stolen as well as destroy the lab and Herr Becke once and for all."

Carol frowned. "Wait, the decker guy? You want to have him as the leader? You sure you don't want to send at least one of our own? Tom, I know this is personal for you and you're stressed about this. You're smart, I know that. But... well, this is more than a bit of a gamble, you know? We don't know how much we can even trust these people. Are you sure about this?"

Tom nodded. "I know it sounds idiotic, and I know it is a gamble. But I believe I have a plan. I can understand your doubts, I would likely have similar ones in your position. But we cannot afford to frighten him off, not when we have the chance to use stealth against him. If my plan fails, I will leave the recovery of the DNA fully in your hands. But for now... I feel we have to at least attempt this."

The young CEO looked up in faint surprise as Carol put her hand on his shoulder. "Hey now, I understand. I'll be holding you to what you said, alright? So then, I take it you want me to start making the arrangements?"

Tom gave her a faint smile. "Thank you. I knew you would understand, even if it is somewhat headache inducing for you." His smile faded, his expression sincere. "It seems odd, but... I honestly feel like you are the only person in this city I can trust."

Carol froze. But then gave him a warm smile as she stood up. "Hey, just doing my job. If you can't trust the gal meant to keep you safe from everything, then who can you?"

As the door shut behind her, Tom's focus returned to the monitors. He began securing the data before taking his leave. As he did so, the gears in his head were already turning, planning, scheming. After all, while Carol went off to hire a rag tag group to blow up the lab, Tom had his own preparations to make...   

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.