Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 314456 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #3960 on: January 15, 2014, 07:39:10 AM »
Martial arts movies are not the Nasuverse. Just because you think something is cool doesn't mean that it is a good idea. Or for that matter, it making sense.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: January 15, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
Also Internet is being a dick to me. Will post with Raul and Henderson ASAP

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
Lantz, you're basically saying that his mind is like Naruto's stupid watery prison thing, but even he was affected by illusions and such. So... yeah.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: January 15, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »
No bloble, that is not what I'm saying. I was trying to be expository but I think it is better given the response for any psychic characters to just avoid using their powers around Satoshi because all it will do is cause headaches for everyone

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: January 15, 2014, 08:11:18 AM »
Psychics in RPs always cause headaches. Either their powers work (AKA never or when no one gives a crap) or every player character can willpower their way through it or invent a bullshit excuse (this is not an insult to you, since everyone does it). That's just how it is, because taking control of their character is unfair for any player, even if it would be possible using the mechanics.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: January 15, 2014, 08:49:04 AM »
lantz, I understand what you meant by the mindscape thing, it's more that Toshi's doesn't make sense with what you described his mental state being like, which is what YOLF was saying.

Mindscapes are usually symbolic of the person's state of mind. If Toshi's state is inner peace, then his mindscape shouldn't be a prison, a symbol of fear and oppression. It shows that Toshi is either a prisoner of his own mind or he seeks to assume control over others in a way that they can't escape. So the inner peace thing and the fact that Toshi's mindscape is a prison is a direct contradiction. It's even more confusing when factored in with the whole Berserker thing.

And as for Tom taking over people's minds, pretty much that won't happen unless absolutely necessary (pretty much if Tom is being used to carry out a GM action, in other words). He finds it morally reprehensible and thus tends to avoid it unless there really is no other solution. Basically all he'll be doing is surfing for information, nothing more. He can technically erase memories too, but he's not going to do that either unless it's absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:49:45 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Daiki

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
Even though I also think it should have been on Lantz' character sheet, I'm rather cool with the idea of mind traps, just like one can generate a barrier of some sort to keep psykers at bay, I don't see how a maze or some sort of defensive mechanism (whether it's full out defensive or passive aggressive doesn't really matter) is an issue. Even someone with a weak mind will react aggressively if you try to tap too deep in their head. Although keeping a thought explorer captive in his head is too much, that's basically the same thing as banishing/killing a character here(even temporarily). Something you'd be against if it happened your characters, Lantz. You can't have that unless the concerned person gives the okay.

And please, do modify your character sheets before further issues arise. That's the kind of thing people should know.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:55:48 AM by Daiki »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: January 15, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
Actually, I agree with you fully there. I do think there should be good justification for said traps and they should probably be on the sheets, but still.

It's more lantz's really faulty execution and the extreme he takes it (the captive in his head thing, which you yourself objected to) that I took umbrage to. Again, it's three explanations for it, at least two of which that contradict each other. Someone who's established inner peace shouldn't have their inner mind manifest as a prison, nor should they be able to keep someone captive almost permanently, and I also struggle to see what the Berserker stuff has to do with either, other than leading to the inner peace thing apparently.

To add on to the mental defenses thing, sometimes there are natural deterrents that don't even involve having to set up more elaborate defenses. Note that Tom wasn't able to stay in Rider's head for long when he was able to navigate Rin's with few problems. Images the psychic finds disturbing can help keep them from going deeper if they aren't determined enough to push past it (or really need to out of necessity). ...AKA, Tom's inability to handle seeing images of hardcore BDSM yet. :P

Daiki

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
At least, Tom can push the blame on Rider if he becomes too kinky for Forest.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
True dat~ :3

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
My point was there's the surface and the mind scape. There's no layer in between, if the character wants to stroll on in where they don't belong then it makes sense that there is a consequence for that.

Satoshi's mind is, yet again, not a trap for others. It is a strict, ordered place. It became like that because of his previous origin and the chaos of madness being a thing of dread for him. He built it to contain himself, others are stuck in the mind scape as collateral damage. Although like with any hero's mind they can get help to leave obviously. (this is typically known as an RP hook) it's not the sort of warning less trap you catch wild animals with. It's clearly marked

and no attaining inner peace enough to control ones own mind and gaining total control or keeping such is not the same thing.

he is not chained by the mind either. It is his empathy which causes his lack of total peace. He blames himself for a lot of stuff he honestly should not.

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: January 15, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
lantz, allow me to define the problem as such:

You did not explicitly spell this resistance out in the character sheet. Thus, it feels contrived and shoved in.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: January 15, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
Oh boy, Moedred! 8D

Kudos for making me laugh with your description of events in her backstory, Daiki.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Daiki

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
Don't forget to type her full name if you address her.~

Glad you liked it.

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile