Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310269 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #4065 on: January 18, 2014, 03:04:40 AM »
Paper does not burn if stacked thick enough. Machine guns do nothing with enough paper. Flat fact you don't the source material and your hyping up run of the mill vampires as if they are all Alucards, Blades and other such nonsense.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: January 18, 2014, 03:08:17 AM »
Enough heat and EVERYTHING ignites. Paper is no exception. WP is a fun fun thing.

The point is that they're tough as fuck, and many have supernatural powers. You aren't easily beating them. I doubt 20 men could clear out a vampire nest without at least a 95% casualty ratio.

And you should thank god you're not fighting Kindred with that response team. The slaughter would be quick and brutal. When a nice chunk of the vampires in WoD can straight out of embrace rip heads off like nothing, you're pretty fucked.

EDIT- Do you even know how much paper you'd need to stop a .50 caliber round? Let me put it like this - you simply won't be able to. For that matter, the sheer thickness of the paper needed to stop a bullet is god damn incredible. You aren't stopping the rounds for long.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:09:58 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: January 18, 2014, 03:12:27 AM »
Thanks for the laugh Arch

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: January 18, 2014, 03:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the laugh Arch
Thanks for being a fucking idiot who doesn't realize that a flamethrower will basically fuck this guys day over, simply because he can't get rid of the paper fast enough and the heat will be more than able to kill him, if the smoke inhalation and other factors don't finish him off first.

Seriously, enough firepower will get through ANYTHING. That paper won't stop an antimaterial rifle round, because those things are designed to put holes in APC's. Plain and simple.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4069 on: January 18, 2014, 03:21:36 AM »
OK, it's been a while since I watched R.O.D., but I do have some vague memories plus wiki-walking.

Yes, even if used by a paper master, the paper is just as flammable. And wet paper becomes useless as well.

As for bullets, some paper masters can in fact stop bullets, but the amount of paper needed to do so depends on the user (one character needed a thick book, another, much stronger user used a single sheet of paper)

EDIT: Here's info from the wiki, for convenience: http://readordie.wikia.com/wiki/Paper_User
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:25:55 AM by KAIZA »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: January 18, 2014, 03:26:40 AM »
OK, it's been a while since I watched R.O.D., but I do have some vague memories plus wiki-walking.

Yes, even if used by a paper master, the paper is just as flammable. And wet paper becomes useless as well.

As for bullets, some paper masters can in fact stop bullets, but the amount of paper needed to do so depends on the user (one character needed a thick book, another, much stronger user used a single sheet of paper)

EDIT: Here's info from the wiki, for convenience: http://readordie.wikia.com/wiki/Paper_User
So a flamethrower or a supersoaker will basically negate this guy's biggest advantages? Oh my god. Worst special agent ever, if he can be stopped by a bucket of water and a couple bullets after that.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: January 18, 2014, 03:27:26 AM »
Stacked paper not burning is shown in series Kaiza. I literally just watched it again.

the type of bullet doesn't matter Arch. It is the psychic level of the user that determines the blocking capabilities of the paper.

single sheets and the like burn but not past a certain amount. The same goes for water as they make a boat

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:11 AM »
Still. Enough fire, or the right type of fire will ruin his day. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: And I think I'll be bringing in a special character from Shadowrun now. Seems like the perfect time. (Sadly, it is not AMERICA-SAN because I can't live up to Dervish's awesomeness.) Time for Patches, the Ghoul street samurai to bring in his awesome brand of ROCKET LEGS AND ASSAULT CANNONS FUCK YEAH
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:30:19 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: January 18, 2014, 03:36:32 AM »
I think lantz stands a fair chance here. Keep in mind that his character is a legit secret agent. He's probably had years to figure out his powers and how to cover for any weaknesses they may have, and you can compensate for water and fire using several tactics.

Besides, James might also have a... guardian spirit of sorts helping him out.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: January 18, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »
Pretty sure that Shadow Run is beyond scope for acceptable characters

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: January 18, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »
...I don't know how chemical stuff works in R.O.D, but I'm pretty sure paper is still plenty flammable in stacks. Being thicker does not make it flame retardant. In fact, it actually gives more fuel to burn for the fire, so I'd say it'd burn faster. Making a stack of something doesn't change the thing's chemical properties last time I checked.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:40:00 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4076 on: January 18, 2014, 03:37:39 AM »
Stacked paper not burning is shown in series Kaiza. I literally just watched it again.

the type of bullet doesn't matter Arch. It is the psychic level of the user that determines the blocking capabilities of the paper.

single sheets and the like burn but not past a certain amount. The same goes for water as they make a boat
I know about the boat. While I think it was a bit of an inconsistency (since the weakness applies in other situations), it does say very strong users (like say, Yomiko) can overcome those weaknesses.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:40:25 AM by KAIZA »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: January 18, 2014, 03:39:09 AM »
Not really, it's rather Urban Fantasy, and if a robot can be accepted, PATCHES THE GREAT should be fine. \

...I don't know how chemical stuff works in R.O.D, but I'm pretty sure paper is still plenty flammable in stacks. Being thicker does not make it flame retardant. In fact, it actually gives more fuel to burn for the fire, so I'd say it'd burn faster. Making a stack of something doesn't change the thing's chemical properties last time I checked.
Yep, you're just letting the fire burn hotter and faster. Of course, you could ditch the flaming stacks but doing so would reduce the armor to protect from the next attacks. Plus, Wiley Pete don't give a shit, it'll burn through it without any trouble.

EDIT: For that matter, read the manga. Far better. As is James should be freaking out of paper by now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:40:33 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4078 on: January 18, 2014, 03:40:44 AM »
We're talking about a series where people have special telekinesis that allows them to use paper to do almost anything. And it's genetic. This kind of logic just doesn't apply.

EDIT: Strictly speaking, the best source should be the novels, though I have read the manga (also a long time ago). Wasn't the anime a sequel to it?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:42:37 AM by KAIZA »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: January 18, 2014, 03:41:27 AM »
It does when white phosphorus is involved.