Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310379 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #4335 on: January 22, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
...Actually, here's a question -

Satoshi used his Immunity to the Elements to notice Jack right?

If, as you stated, the ability is due to a contract with elementals... how is it still active? They'd be in another dimension, and if they aren't in the same dimension as you then the contract, by rules of nasu and basic logic, wouldn't be active. If Rider's contract wasn't working with Sakura, how could Satoshi's still be working?

Rider's contract with Sakura still exists, she just can't get mana from her because mana doesn't cross through dimensions.

And, honestly, a lot of the characters in the RP should strictly-speaking lose some or all of their powers when not in their home universe, not least because the laws of physics are not compatible between different universes. We are ignoring that because it would make for a bad RP if we didn't.

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: January 22, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
to Rider either (remember, she would have lived forever were it not for Perseus, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that she was thousands of years old when she died).
wrong

Medusa was mortal and aged unlike her sisters, which is why she wasn't a loli like them, and there's no mention(as far as I recall) that becoming a monster girl changed that

step it up Mike-senpai

And while I do agree that Satoshi speaking to thin air would make everyone look at him like a whacko(And if Jack didn't answer it'd only reinforce that image because no noticing)(And when people address someone when speaking they don't look at the recipient but rather the speaker), I also agree that this isn't worth the fuss and you guys just just roll with whatever the other guy does, no matter how obfuscatingly stupid you find it, unless it is Retardation Of The Mind (True) and should be looked at by the GM.

Get it, obfuscatingly stupid

like, obfuscate

I'm funny I swear

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: January 22, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »
Oh god Magos. Just let it go, it's not like Jack's going to get killed by being noticed, or Satoshi would've already tried to murder him.

Yes, lantz's sheets need work, but don't drag out the argument with it please.
I know I'm just curious. I've wanted to ask this for a while, but never really had a relevant time to.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: January 22, 2014, 05:57:07 PM »
to Rider either (remember, she would have lived forever were it not for Perseus, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that she was thousands of years old when she died).
wrong

Medusa was mortal and aged unlike her sisters, which is why she wasn't a loli like them, and there's no mention(as far as I recall) that becoming a monster girl changed that

She aged, yes, but I don't think she would die of old age. And her story doesn't make it sound like she was only there for a few years, either.

And while I do agree that Satoshi speaking to thin air would make everyone look at him like a whacko(And if Jack didn't answer it'd only reinforce that image because no noticing)(And when people address someone when speaking they don't look at the recipient but rather the speaker), I also agree that this isn't worth the fuss and you guys just just roll with whatever the other guy does, no matter how obfuscatingly stupid you find it, unless it is Retardation Of The Mind (True) and should be looked at by the GM.

Well, I think they would be more likely to notice someone was there than to think Satoshi was a whacko.

Oh god Magos. Just let it go, it's not like Jack's going to get killed by being noticed, or Satoshi would've already tried to murder him.

Yes, lantz's sheets need work, but don't drag out the argument with it please.
I know I'm just curious. I've wanted to ask this for a while, but never really had a relevant time to.

It's a valid point, I just think that if you go down that route you open a whole can of worms for just about everyone, so it's better to just ignore it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:58:13 PM by Cherry Lover »

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: January 22, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
You know if you think about it, a nasuverse magus like shirou (uses Od) would be a lot stronger in a setting where the world isn't out to get your logical fallacies, while a nasuverse magus like Rin (uses mana) would be a little more ambiguous, because different settings might not have ambient magical energy (all variations of, btw) at all.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

But I really don't think we want to start down this road. Let's just keep such things in a "Don't really think about it" folder in our brains.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: January 22, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
No Arch his Divine protection allowed him to notice your vampire

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: January 22, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
Erm.... what? That doesn't... what? How does that even work? Jack isn't doing anything hostile, or for that matter, even freaking sinister.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: January 22, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »
And, honestly, a lot of the characters in the RP should strictly-speaking lose some or all of their powers when not in their home universe, not least because the laws of physics are not compatible between different universes. We are ignoring that because it would make for a bad RP if we didn't.

There's a rule from a pretty good fanfic that I'm using, which states: Even when switching universes, you maintain the properties of your own universe rather than that of the universe you're visiting.

So if you're a Loony Tunes character, getting hit by Berserker will still flatten you, but you'll be able to walk it off because toon physics. At the same time, if you come from a universe where it's proven that people have no souls and are just a collection of electrical impulses, no one will be able to soul-fuck you because you don't have one.

And I'm not ignoring anything. Luka, for example, still has the spirits from his universe, but they've lost their connection with their world, and thus are weakened, even if he hasn't had a chance to find that out IC.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
Well, it depends. For example, Rider has lost her connection to Sakura temporarily because they're in a different universe, but I'm not going to massively nerf Sakura (and, by extension, Rider) by having her lose her prana supply.

And, I don't think you can reasonably apply other-universe physics and then complain about people keeping powers that rely on the nature of the universes they come from. They're two sides of the same coin.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
I don't follow. I never complained about anything.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:38 PM »
It looks like mike is using the greater you, as in people in general complaining rather than you specifically Bloble

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »
Yeah, it would be helpful if the English language still had seperate forms for the singular "you" and the plural "you"....

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: January 23, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »
Y'all is a perfectly servicable, if crude, substitute. :P

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:30 AM »
Hey Bloble: Alignment challenge accepted.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:10 AM »
Just for a point of order I want to applaud Daiki for Shuya earlier. I didn't get to say so before but I was impressed that the demon guy was the only one to get the way to speak to Satoshi (and despite leaving for a smoke he was acknowledged as correct)