Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310391 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #4950 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Yeah, basically we all accepted that Toshi's actions looked pretty dubious anyway, so no-one was really surprised at him being called-out for them, and none of us really bothered to go back and check what was actually said, because that's too much effort.

What we actually do about it, though, I'm not sure. I don't think we can decree that Toshi heard it without Lantz accepting that, it makes Toshi's action look extremely foolish and makes his following explanations non-sensical, but I'm not sure how to explain him not doing so.
We can explain it through Toshi being really really thick.

He hasn't given us any evidence to the contrary to this being the truth.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
We can explain it through Toshi being really really thick.

He hasn't given us any evidence to the contrary to this being the truth.

No, Magos, you don't get to dictate Toshi's characterisation on Lantz's behalf. The only person who can do that is Lantz, through what he writes. You are free to interpret that writing in whatever manner you like, but you cannot force Lantz to adhere to that interpretation.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »
I know, but that's how I'm fluffing it whatever his explanation.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: February 06, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »
Erm, Mike, I think Magos is just saying that's how his characters would interpret it. Or how he would interpret Toshi's character if he had been there.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: February 06, 2014, 11:12:03 PM »
Well, Magos' characters have no possible way to know if Toshi did or did not hear anything Tom said. Hell, they weren't even in the room at the time, so Magos has precisely zero IC reason to be involved in this.

The fact is, if Toshi didn't hear it then he didn't hear it, full stop. That isn't a matter of him being "thick", that's a matter of him not hearing it. Even the smartest person in the world still can't act on information they don't have.

Admittedly, there are plenty of other reasons why Toshi should have thought twice before healing the guy, but none of them are anything like as blatant as "he heard what Tom said".

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: February 06, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »
To be honest, part of the reason I didn't realize no one had picked up on the fact that I meant Tom to be talking to everyone about that was because I did honestly think Toshi was thick enough to miss that. ...So honestly, it's a fair interpretation. ^^"

This is where tell verses show is really important. We've never been shown Toshi is really that intelligent, just told. A number of his traits are informed (as told to us by lantz himself along with his own characters) rather than actually shown to us.

Basically, what Magos is saying is that he's going off of Toshi's actions to determine this aspect of Toshi's character.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: February 06, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
Sure, and that's fine. But what we can't do is say "well, Toshi just didn't take notice because he's thick", because that is not a decision for us to make. If Lantz makes a mistake he has to deal with that, but in this case he didn't really do anything wrong (with regards to not realising Tom was speaking to him), so he shouldn't have to make such a dramatic change in his own personal characterisation to cope with that.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: February 06, 2014, 11:45:04 PM »
Sure, and that's fine. But what we can't do is say "well, Toshi just didn't take notice because he's thick", because that is not a decision for us to make. If Lantz makes a mistake he has to deal with that, but in this case he didn't really do anything wrong (with regards to not realising Tom was speaking to him), so he shouldn't have to make such a dramatic change in his own personal characterisation to cope with that.
The problem is that the characterization he's shown in the RP has been so fucking different than the one on his shet. It's really kinda funny, just how little Lantz can keep his own character  in character.

Daiki

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: February 07, 2014, 12:21:42 AM »
Man, Chiyo looks promising. x)

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:59 AM »
Man, Chiyo looks promising. x)

Ossu!

Ivan The Mouse

• "Please don't kill me, I made your bread!"
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: February 07, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »
And no one's running into my characters yet, haha.

;_;

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: February 07, 2014, 01:46:55 AM »
Daiki did - didn't he want to buy your weapons?

Also, now that there is no chuuni GM self insert character here, perhaps a certain hot-tempered sorcerer and his half-fey friend/rival/love interest (?) might be showing up. >.>
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: February 07, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »
GM self-insert character?

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: February 07, 2014, 01:56:15 AM »
'S a bit of a tale, but basically YOLF, Ivan, and I were involved in an RP that had a GM character that was less than one step away from duel-wielding katanas. I ended up abandoning YOLF in the tangent we were in (sorry, man :( ) and getting out because the GM was so irritating.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:01:47 AM by Mooncake »
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: February 07, 2014, 02:07:29 AM »
As far as I was aware Tom wasn't addressing him. So he didn't hear it, simple as that.