Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310310 times)

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #5295 on: February 18, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »
You got it YOLF, Satoshi would rather toss em in the Klink rather than have them slaughtered. Bad guys go to jail.
My "dragon bro" as you keep calling him doesn't have magic handcuffs. So he's going to have to stick with what he's got available, i.e. claws, fangs, and tail.
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: February 18, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
Well, it's not like Satoshi is going to find out.

Besides, Lyco is currently being sponsored by divine justice (i.e. Tywin), so he's got an excuse!
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: February 18, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
Not always. And they knew the risks going in. Besides, setting the building on fire won't kill all of them. Probably. Depends on the amount of chemicals in the air.

For that matter, in Nexus? Won't the Don just bail them out? So the system is fucked anyway.

Well, it's not like Satoshi is going to find out.

Besides, Lyco is currently being sponsored by divine justice (i.e. Tywin), so he's got an excuse!
Yep. JUSTICE MOTHERFUCKERS. Plus, he doesn't have handcuffs or zipties for all of them.

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
Not always. And they knew the risks going in. Besides, setting the building on fire won't kill all of them. Probably. Depends on the amount of chemicals in the air.

For that matter, in Nexus? Won't the Don just bail them out? So the system is fucked anyway.
I feel like an "all around Nexus City" NPC guide would be helpful. While I've skimmed through the 100 pages of the RP thread and carefully read the most recent 10, I can't say I'll know many - if any - NPCs mentioned. Except The Deacon.
Unless "the Don" is uncharacterized NPC. XP
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:40:59 PM by Lycodrake »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: February 18, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »
Yeah, Toshi's attitude is rather questionable here, honestly. Sure it's better to avoid killing people if you can, but not everyone possesses the ability to solve every problem non-lethally or to hold infinite captives, and it is blindingly obvious that the legal system in the Nexus is not remotely fit for purpose, so handing them over to that is just plain dumb.

Using Tywin's claims to "divine justice" as an excuse is just bullshit, though. Just because he claims some arbitrary "divinity" that doesn't mean he has any more right to judge the actions of others than anyone else does. Murdering people in cold blood is not any more justified just because some god or some government gave you permission.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:39:31 PM by Cherry Lover »

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: February 18, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
There was the terrified bystander Bones interrogated who gave us some info on the workings of the city.

*c*< Though for that matter, I'm surprised Scrooge's giant moneybin isn't included in the scenery of Nexus City.

Using Tywin's claims to "divine justice" as an excuse is just bullshit, though. Just because he claims some arbitrary "divinity" that doesn't mean he has any more right to judge the actions of others than anyone else does. Murdering people in cold blood is not any more justified just because some god or some government gave you permission.

That comment wasn't meant to be entirely serious.

True that cold blooded murder is never alright just because someone gave you permission, but life is a chaotic cesspool of viewpoints and beliefs mashing, colliding and trampling against each other, with everyone just trying to do things in a way that they believe is right, or if they aren't able to do right because of some unfairness out there, at least do the best they can. From Tywin's viewpoint, I'm guessing that dispensing what he sees as fair justice isn't just an enforcing of his beliefs, it's likely part of his very identity, and something he can so strongly trust in because he can say it is his birthright by divine power.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:54:17 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
maybe elf could make "teach us, Forest-sensei" segments to let us know about nexus and its operational record while a plethora of characters act like ADD children and stare out of the window instead of listening

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
When your patron/dad is the fucking GOD OF JUSTICE, and your actions and code are defined by this fact, yeah, he's got a pretty good claim to have divine justice.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
Since when does being a god make you just? The Greek gods sure as hell weren't....

Sure, he can claim divine justice, but that doesn't mean he is somehow any better or more just than anyone else.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »
God of won't wash with basically any character in the RP as far as I can tell.

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
Sure, he can claim divine justice, but that doesn't mean he is somehow any better or more just than anyone else.
But it does mean that he'll try his best, which is all we can really ask.
God of won't wash with basically any character in the RP as far as I can tell.
wait wut
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:04:47 PM by Lycodrake »

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: February 18, 2014, 09:19:02 PM »
basically he's saying that if a dude runs up and says "I am blessed by the god of... say, dishwashing therefore the way I do it is best," the characters of the RP won't necessarily agree with the logic.

Well, some won't, though he can hardly speak for everyone.

Though there's a parallel with Lantz and Satoshi that can be drawn here...

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
basically he's saying that if a dude runs up and says "I am blessed by the god of... say, dishwashing therefore the way I do it is best," the characters of the RP won't necessarily agree with the logic.
you just translated Lantzese into English
sorcery
Well, some won't, though he can hardly speak for everyone.
Though there's a parallel with Lantz and Satoshi that can be drawn here...
be nice Nachos =P

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
Well no, he can't speak for everyone.

And yes, people disagree with Lantz saying Satoshi has certain traits, much like people would disagree to a man saying their god is justice incarnate, because they don't see it that way. It's really that simple.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: February 18, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
Since when does being a god make you just? The Greek gods sure as hell weren't....

No no no - it's through Tyr's domain and actions. He is the Lawgiver - he gave mankind their laws, and sense of justice. He gives even the foulest justice, like Fenrir. When the Aesir bound Fenrir, it was in the guise of a contest of strength. Fenrir, sensing a trap, asked for one of the gods to place their right hand in his mouth - if it was indeed a trick, he'd take the hand. All gods but Tyr shirked from this, but even Fenrir deserved justice. So Tyr willingly let Fenrir take his hand.

And Tywin knows he's not better than anyone else. Justice isn't always nice, or kind, or merciful. He might be doing justice, but it doesn't mean he's being an upstanding individual - sometimes justice demands sacrifices.