Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310376 times)

Ivan The Mouse

• "Please don't kill me, I made your bread!"
  • NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #5655 on: April 14, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
Yes, okay, that's precisely the same thing that's written on the character sheet. I don't know what you define as "debuffs". Do attacks of a magical or supernatural nature hurt and actually cause him damage, but can't kill him, or can't they, and all they can do is make him weaker if that is one of their effects?

"Physics do not apply" was my response to the particular point you brought up. That is a different one. It's still fire, so it still behaves like fire. Naturally it spreads through flammable materials, even if it doesn't obey all of the restrictions physics should put on it. Now here's the deal. Gwyllt explicitly controls his fel fire as he pleases. Which means he can tell it where to go (as he has demonstrated already by surrounding only the factory) and he can contain it or even extinguish it if he so wishes.

So yeah, the factory and the ones involved with the krokodil are really the only ones endangered here. And as far as Gwyllt is concerned, the place can turn to ashes (and likely will, in a bit).

If all the magic does is to make them stunned, hypnotized, confused, etc. It will affect them. If it kills them, it won't.

And if Gwylit has such power, he can then, theoretically, make a flying and inextinguishable ball of fell fire that can incinerate anything or anyone as he pleases it and never get negative effects on it.

I am skeptical on this and I think it is overpowered.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: April 14, 2014, 03:56:22 PM »
Key word in the description of that power of his: "ordinary".

His fire can't be extinguished by ordinary means, but magic resistance defends against it, and magic/magecraft (water aligned or otherwise) or other supernatural powers that are stronger can extinguish it. And compared to similar things, his fel fire is mid/high level as far as supernatural mystery is concerned, so most characters in the RP could defend against it in some way.

And since Neo's magic resistance works like that, I argue for the fact that his clothes should be on fire. Can't be killed by them, but his magic resistance doesn't dissipate offensive effects, does it?

Also, Gwyllt is really not that overpowered. I wrote his physical stats in as mostly Cs, which means he's a step above mortals and average supernaturals beings in the scale I've been using for my character sheets (E - regular human, D - top human/inhuman, C and above - various degrees of superhuman), but compared to knight class Servants, beings like Wanderer, and stronger mages, he's lackluster unless he pulls out all the stops. Which, might I add, is what leaves him most vulnerable.

One more thing. I think we're losing ourselves a little in the argument, but I'm not insisting because I want Gwyllt to kill Neo just like that. Their discussion has been escalating, and Neo has been stepping on Gwyllt's toes, and now the rider's had enough with talking.

So Neo going "lol nope just gonna roll on the ground to put it out and continue TALKING bitch" seems really anti-climactic to me. Also felt kinda bland the way you wrote it. Same with dodging the sword swing earlier.

Like, just "I dodge", "I put out the fire". Maybe it's just me, but those felt cheap to read because it was like you were waving off what happened just so Neo could continue speaking his justice. I get it that Neo is pretty fearless, but does he really feel nothing at a demonic rider attacking him twice with intent to kill?

I didn't say anything the first time, cause, okay, he dodged the sword swing, that seems reasonable given his experience. Now it's like you're killing the narrative tension to keep the story where you want it.

If I'm misunderstanding anything do correct me, but I'm only trying to be honest with what I see here.

I might be going overboard with saying all this, but I felt like I needed to say it. Mind you, I have no issue resuming my next post with Gwyllt moving to attack as Neo talks but stopping because Wanderer arrived.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:27:20 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: April 14, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »

His fire can't be extinguished by ordinary means, but magic resistance defends against it, and magic/magecraft (water aligned or otherwise) or other supernatural powers that are stronger can extinguish it. And compared to similar things, his fel fire is mid/high level as far as supernatural mystery is concerned, so most characters in the RP could defend against it in some way.

And since Neo's magic resistance works like that, I argue for the fact that his clothes should be on fire. Can't be killed by them, but his magic resistance doesn't dissipate offensive effects, does it?

If water-aligned magecraft can extinguish the fell fire, how is that different from plain water?

Also, Gwyllt is really not that overpowered. I wrote his physical stats in as mostly Cs, which means he's a step above mortals and average supernaturals beings in the scale I've been using for my character sheets (E - regular human, D - top human/inhuman, C and above - various degrees of superhuman), but compared to knight class Servants, beings like Wanderer, and stronger mages, he's lackluster unless he pulls out all the stops. Which, might I add, is what leaves him most vulnerable.

We are not talking about stats here in general, we are talking about what Gwylit is capable of doing with his fires.

One more thing. I think we're losing ourselves a little in the argument, but I'm not insisting because I want Gwyllt to kill Neo just like that. Their discussion has been escalating, and Neo has been stepping on Gwyllt's toes, and now the rider's had enough with talking.

So Neo going "lol nope just gonna roll on the ground to put it out and continue TALKING bitch" seems really anti-climactic to me. Also felt kinda bland the way you wrote it. Same with dodging the sword swing earlier.

Like, just "I dodge", "I put out the fire". Maybe it's just me, but those felt cheap to read because it was like you were waving off what happened just so Neo could continue speaking his justice. I get it that Neo is pretty fearless, but does he really feel nothing at a demonic rider attacking him twice with intent to kill?

I didn't say anything the first time, cause, okay, he dodged the sword swing, that seems reasonable given his experience. Now it's like you're killing the narrative tension to keep the story where you want it.

If I'm misunderstanding anything do correct me, but I'm only trying to be honest with what I see here.

The thing is I'm not really a writer who wants flowery prose from a third-person perspective and I do a lot of dialogue because I think it shows more of my character's personalities and I do capitalize on those rather on their abilities, magic or whatsoever. And as for Neo being like that, please consider reading his personality profile, moreso his whole backstory.

I might be going overboard with saying all this, but I felt like I needed to say it. Mind you, I have no issue resuming my next post with Gwyllt moving to attack as Neo talks but stopping because Wanderer arrived.

That's okay.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »

If water-aligned magecraft can extinguish the fell fire, how is that different from plain water?

The same way as a magical sword can harm Rider but a mundane sword cannot. Magical spells cannot generally be stopped by mundane means, you need something with higher "mystery".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:28:37 PM by Cherry Lover »

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: April 14, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »

Because it's explicitely magic and not ordinary water? :/
Basically what Cherry said.

The thing is I'm not really a writer who wants flowery prose from a third-person perspective and I do a lot of dialogue because I think it shows more of my character's personalities and I do capitalize on those rather on their abilities, magic or whatsoever. And as for Neo being like that, please consider reading his personality profile, moreso his whole backstory.

Alright, alright, I was only pointing it out because to me it felt like a bit of an artificial cop out so you could hold the narrative at a position that you'd rather write. Not that I don't understand, but it bugged me.

And I'll have you know I did read his backstory back when you first linked it on the old Kaleidoscopic Spiral RP. Don't really remember it anymore, but what I got from it was: Neo is a terrible person, with a worse mouth, an even more dreadful attitude towards others and life in general, and is only allied to Rattus and Yukina because it's convenient.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »
And I'll have you know I did read his backstory back when you first linked it on the old Kaleidoscopic Spiral RP. Don't really remember it anymore, but what I got from it was: Neo is a terrible person, with a worse mouth, an even more dreadful attitude towards others and life in general, and is only allied to Rattus and Yukina because it's convenient.

He's a terrible person because he's morally maladjusted right from the start and isn't generally willing to follow conventional morality, unless he feels comfortable with it. In other words, he doesn't and he's unwilling to understand our morality and we won't understand his morality either.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: April 14, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
Not following conventional morality doesn't make you a bad person. Being a murdering jackass who doesn't care about anyone but himself, on the other hand, very definitely does.

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: April 15, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »
Wingless dragon is overwhelmed and is tired of Neo's shit. It's difficult being a dragon who believes that the only "good" reason for war is to protect. Don't mistake that as pacifism though.
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: April 15, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »
preemptive protection

he is going to protect the shit out of you

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: April 15, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »
preemptive protection

he is going to protect the shit out of you
yes, yes indeedy :333
you have such a way with words, Nachos
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:50:30 AM by Lycodrake »
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »
the poet the world deserves

just not the one it needs

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: April 15, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »
Wanderer's just saying war exists, deal with it. He isn't saying if it's wrong or not - well, he sort of is, but eh.
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:28 AM »
"Give war a chance!"
-Sundowner

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: April 15, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
nachos literary genius, 30 gay piano scenes out of ten

But in all seriousness this scene is going to be fun :D
Need to sit down soon and write it out.
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: April 15, 2014, 04:38:48 AM »
Not following conventional morality doesn't make you a bad person. Being a murdering jackass who doesn't care about anyone but himself, on the other hand, very definitely does.

That's why I said he's unwilling to follow it. He doesn't want to acknowledge murder is evil and he generally doesn't want to care about other people (although he did so a few times in his backstory). So he's a rampaging jackass.

Wingless dragon is overwhelmed and is tired of Neo's shit. It's difficult being a dragon who believes that the only "good" reason for war is to protect. Don't mistake that as pacifism though.

Neo's belief system about war is "enjoy it or it becomes hell".