Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310292 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #6435 on: May 08, 2014, 11:17:10 PM »
Zero Brah because Satoshi intentionally chose an abandoned part of the city.

and no people are not acceptable collateral damage, such a view is offensive.

Daiki

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
But it's important to understand a character's thought process to get why they behave like they do. (At least, if you're a minimum interested in the RP)

I'm not telling it's fine to slaughter nor harvest people's souls. (My opinion as a player is irrelevant) I'm telling you that your morality(or your character's for that matter) might not apply to a character. This is the same as when people said earlier that Gil (and perhaps Karna) won't acknowledge doing something wrong if you get pissed at them for it.

Quote from: lantz
Murder is against the law in the nexus

So is having too much tentacles.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6437 on: May 08, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

Every character not defined by someone in the RP is a faceless grey mook with no personality and no purpose but to be a number. Unless that somehow makes me racist towards grey people, there's nothing offensive about my opinion.

Also it was an accident. They got in the way.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:22:44 PM by Brahmastra »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: May 08, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
I don't care about the characters Daiki. Murder is against the law  in the nexus, murder is against the law in FSN socially and morally that makes it wrong. Senseless death is wrong, they are the bad guys here. They do everything that objectively defines a bad guys. In character justification does not excuse wholesale slaughter of innocent people.
>Murder is socially and morally wrong

I could actually argue the contrary, when it comes to certain kinds of killings. Revenge killings and blood feuds are considered honorable by most cultures, even if the law says otherwise. For that matter, if you define one human as killing another human, that line of what is murder becomes even more sketchy, because what about killing someone by accident? Is that as horrible as this supposed awful 'murder' is? What about duels of honor? What about war?

You can't say 'murder is always wrong' without being a massive damn hypocrite.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »
I know war vets Arch, they are the ones who believe most strongly murder is wrong regardless if it is justified. So yes, murder is always wrong, regardless of the justification.

@Daiki: I'm not arguing perspectives, I'm speaking objectively.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6440 on: May 08, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »

Stop using objective RL logic for actions caused by fictional characters in an RP. That's we told you to begin with. We're specifically arguing that to them, nothing that they've done might seem wrong to them. If you wanna argue objective morality then study jury instead of arguing about fictional characters on the internet.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: May 08, 2014, 11:38:31 PM »
Once again, that's a relative thing.

But that comes to the point of accidentally killing someone again, is that wrong? You did commit, by your definition murder. Should they be held accountable because they didn't intend to cause the death of someone? And for that matter, there's plenty of soldiers who don't view the same way Lantz. I have proof because I'm on the internet and I can say such things.

Plus, you're forgetting cultures where murder IS acceptable in cases - blood feuds and honor killings are a thing Lantz. You can't say murder is always wrong if it is also right.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »

Every character not defined by someone in the RP is a faceless grey mook with no personality and no purpose but to be a number. Unless that somehow makes me racist towards grey people, there's nothing offensive about my opinion.

Also it was an accident. They got in the way.

They might be to us, but in-story they are just as real as people living in the any real-world city are to us. You don't have to care about what happens to them, but characters in the RP certainly should, and characters who will happily kill hundreds of people as collateral in a fight that they didn't have to have are definitely highly morally suspect.

Stop using objective RL logic for actions caused by fictional characters in an RP. That's we told you to begin with. We're specifically arguing that to them, nothing that they've done might seem wrong to them. If you wanna argue objective morality then study jury instead of arguing about fictional characters on the internet.

Just because they are fictional characters, it doesn't mean that you can't make moral statements about their actions. There is nothing wrong with writing characters doing things like this, but the character can still legitimately be condemned for it, especially by other characters in the RP.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:42:48 PM by Cherry Lover »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: May 08, 2014, 11:44:21 PM »
Yes, but being condemned for an action doesn't mean that action is in fact immoral or wrong.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6444 on: May 08, 2014, 11:45:52 PM »
Or that your real-life morality should affect how your characters react, or how their morality should be defined in series.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: May 08, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »
Yes, but being condemned for an action doesn't mean that action is in fact immoral or wrong.

Perhaps not, but being willing to kill hundreds of people just to settle a petty grudge is very definitely immoral.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:50:23 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #6446 on: May 08, 2014, 11:46:59 PM »

but being willing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident

Also there was no petty grudge.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: May 08, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »
Perhaps. If you used this argument against Grigori he would question the worth of those masses.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Or that your real-life morality should affect how your characters react, or how their morality should be defined in series.

Yes, that is entirely true (Rider notably won't care as long as her family is safe from it). But, I don't think anyone here is arguing that what you did doesn't make sense in the story, we're just saying it is very definitely not morally justified.

but being willing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident

Also there was no petty grudge.

Yeah, sorry, but calling it an "accident" when you flattened a large chunk of the city is just absurd. They clearly knew that their actions would kill people, even if it wasn't the specific intention.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:50:05 PM by Cherry Lover »

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: May 08, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »
Enough. It doesn't matter if you think it's immoral or not. It doesn't matter if any of us think this is immoral or not. It matters what our characters think, and while your characters may think it is immoral, our (Karna and Gil) characters do not. This conversation doesn't even really have a point. Everyone knows the morality of their own characters already, so show it to others in the RP.
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]