Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310558 times)

Brahmastra

Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #6450 on: May 08, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Mike do I need to spell out what "accident" means to you before you understand?

An accident, mishap, or, more archaically, misadventure, is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention.

Even if the casualties were caused by them, they were a happening that happened as an extension of something else.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
Yeah, but I'm not sure you can really call flattening a large portion of the city centre an "accident", and even if killing the people was not strictly intended, they were so negligent that it may as well have been.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6452 on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »
It wasn't an accident to flatten Gil and the city center. It was an accident that it killed people.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: May 09, 2014, 12:16:14 AM »
It wasn't an accident to flatten Gil and the city center. It was an accident that it killed people.

How does that work? Surely he noticed all the people walking around and living in the buildings....

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
I can't believe two guys that strong accidentally killed people. Incidentally perhaps but accidentally not a chance.

they knew what would happen.

as for the issue, everyone is the hero of their own story. However, objectively, these guys are monsters.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6455 on: May 09, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
However, objectively, these guys are monsters.

Yet Karna is known as the noblest man in all of Hindu myth and as the "Saint of Generosity", so I doubt that is the case.

People have become heroes by killing others more times than I can count to, if you deny that, you deny all of history.

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »
People have become heroes by killing others more times than I can count to, if you deny that, you deny all of history.
Yeah, most heroes are hailed as such because of how many they killed or what/who they killed.
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
Objectively they're still heroes. To you, they might be monsters, but from an unbiased perspective they're two hyperpowerful beings who happened to think that the center of the city was an appropriate battle ground for their clash of the titans. Probably stupid, but they aren't evil, like you seem to think anyone who kills is. Morality is not black and white, there's lots of greys.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:17 AM »
Whatever Arch. Think what you want, I know they are bad guys.

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: May 09, 2014, 01:04:36 AM »
To you, they are. To other characters they aren't. It's as simple as that.
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

Brahmastra

« Reply #6460 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
No actually Magos is 100% on the money. If you want to try and say otherwise with your faux-messianic mindset, then go ahead, just know that no one except you and maybe Mike thinks you're right.

To you, they are. To other characters they aren't. It's as simple as that.

Literally this, but with more insults.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:06:17 AM by Brahmastra »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: May 09, 2014, 01:07:30 AM »
Objectively they're still heroes. To you, they might be monsters, but from an unbiased perspective they're two hyperpowerful beings who happened to think that the center of the city was an appropriate battle ground for their clash of the titans. Probably stupid, but they aren't evil, like you seem to think anyone who kills is. Morality is not black and white, there's lots of greys.

Honestly, I don't buy that, because they can't possibly have have the fight and not known they were killing people.

No actually Magos is 100% on the money. If you want to try and say otherwise with your faux-messianic mindset, then go ahead, just know that no one except you and maybe Mike thinks you're right.

Sorry, but they are only "heroes" in the very broad sense of "someone who does important things". They're certainly not heroes in the modern sense, and they're definitely not good guys.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:08:27 AM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #6462 on: May 09, 2014, 01:12:12 AM »

Sorry, but they are only "heroes" in the very broad sense of "someone who does important things". They're certainly not heroes in the modern sense, and they're definitely not good guys.

People in the Iraq War have been hailed as heroes for killing people, Mike, the word has not changed meaning. I'll repeat myself just once.

Yet Karna is known as the noblest man in all of Hindu myth and as the "Saint of Generosity", so I doubt that is the case.

Whichever RL-person Karna was based on (some that lived somewhere between 900 and 5300BC) led a war campaign that put all of Asia under his dominion (IE, he was Genghis Khan before it was cool), yet was still hailed as the greatest and noblest man in the Epic.

Vlad the Impaler killed 120000 people and set most of those on pikes, but he is indisputably the greatest hero Romania ever saw.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »
Honestly, I don't buy that, because they can't possibly have have the fight and not known they were killing people.

Do you notice the ants that you trod underfoot? Of course not. They're the same way. Compared to them, everyone else is an ant. Why notice an ant?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: May 09, 2014, 01:28:44 AM »

People in the Iraq War have been hailed as heroes for killing people, Mike, the word has not changed meaning. I'll repeat myself just once.

Sure, but not for killing random bystanders.

The word is used differently now. Killing people can still make you a hero, yeah, but only generally killing people who are seen as enemies. Killing a whole bunch of random bystanders in the process definitely disqualifies you.