Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310313 times)

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #6480 on: May 09, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
Desist is an archaism, and given that the legal language, my field of speciality, is rife with such words, I combat them like a plague they are. My whole MA thesis is basically pamphlet against such habits. I even participated in international conference presenting a paper on a topic of bad mannerisms and quirks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:22:15 AM by Cool Kat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: May 09, 2014, 02:24:14 AM »
I evaluate it based on current views of heroes, they are not heroes, they are killers who killed in the name of dick measuring. I'm not applying the character's thoughts to this because every well written character believes themselves good to some degree.

You are naive, Lantz. Do you realize how many heroes killed tons of people to do their job? Like Sherman pillaging the South to put the end to the Civil War, or Henry H. Arnold who firebombed German cities to crush Third Reich's spirit?

I wouldn't call either of them (especially the second) a "hero".

Brahmastra

« Reply #6482 on: May 09, 2014, 02:29:23 AM »
Mike put aside your stupid pacifist morality for a moment and consider that without people like Henry H. Arnold, Hitler would have won the war and become a hero.

The victor gets to write history, that's why Hitler has the reputation he has now; because he lost.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: May 09, 2014, 02:31:27 AM »
Desist is an archaism, and given that the legal language, my field of speciality, is rife with such words, I combat them like a plague they are. My whole MA thesis is basically pamphlet against such habits. I even participated in international conference presenting a paper on a topic of bad mannerisms and quirks.

Ah, I see. I can understand that then.

I like archaisms though! Isn't it fine if they're not being used as technical terms?
That said, I'm all for the advancement of language too.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: May 09, 2014, 02:32:42 AM »
>Sherman not a hero

Are you serious? He's the reason the Civil War ended far faster than it would have only with the Anaconda plan. He went as harsh as he did (and caused a shitload of damage as his army confiscated all property that could be used for the war-effort) because he wanted to end the war as fast as possible. Sherman is a hero because he did what he viewed (correctly) the best way to shut the confederacy down - kick it in the soft stomach until it cried for mercy. His March to the Sea also cut the Confederacy in half as the seige of Vicksburg did as well. It practically killed any chance of any conceivable victory for the rebels.

He even refused to run for political office after he retired from the military. Dude was a stand up individual who deserves his reputation as a hardass but intelligent and very very needed commander.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: May 09, 2014, 02:40:38 AM »
Mike put aside your stupid pacifist morality for a moment and consider that without people like Henry H. Arnold, Hitler would have won the war and become a hero.

No, he wouldn't have. There was no need to firebomb German cities to win the war.

The victor gets to write history, that's why Hitler has the reputation he has now; because he lost.

No, Hitler has the reputation he has now because he murdered millions of people.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:41:33 AM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: May 09, 2014, 02:44:49 AM »
As YOLF suggested I'm not continuing the discussion. Far as I'm concerned they aren't objectively heroes.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6487 on: May 09, 2014, 02:46:21 AM »
An "objective hero" doesn't exist, so you'd be right, now lets stop this stupid discussion.

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: May 09, 2014, 03:13:06 AM »
No, he wouldn't have. There was no need to firebomb German cities to win the war.

Pleaae explain how we would have won World War 2 without bombing the cities of our supremacist, bomb-crazy (i.e The bombings of Britain and France, for example)mass-murdering enemies.

No, Hitler has the reputation he has now because he murdered millions of people.

Yeah, the reputation he has now. If he had won WW2, we would be seeing a different, white-washed version of history. One where, in other words, Hitler was a savior who purified Europe from those who would defile it (i.e. Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, etc.).

But yeah, this isn't the place for this discussion. We can take it to P/VMs, if you want.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:15:26 AM by Mooncake »
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: May 09, 2014, 06:20:03 AM »
If Alice wanted to post so we could get that side of things moving that would be great, at this rate my other group is just gonna meet up with them before they can even do anything.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: May 09, 2014, 09:37:20 AM »
pacifist morality

His morality is idiosyncratic and contradictory because I noticed his post somewhere on BL about how looting property is not really harming people. So from that moment on I have not treated any of his talk on morality seriously.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:38:29 AM by Cool Kat »

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: May 09, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »
Doctors, paramedics, firemen rl, superman etcetera fictionally. All heroes.
O-kaaay...
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: May 09, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
Does Nietzschean Ubermensch count too?

RamKingSpaceSlamKatsulam

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:35 AM »
Honestly, I don't buy that, because they can't possibly have have the fight and not known they were killing people.

Do you notice the ants that you trod underfoot? Of course not. They're the same way. Compared to them, everyone else is an ant. Why notice an ant?
Ants are people.

MissingMandible

• Hello Darkness my old friend. It sucks to be with you again.
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: May 10, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
Unfortunately, I can't just copy-paste my google doc without a special app, so I'm just posting a link to it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EKH3hQAtprSaRvdlT58ISG-kg8_Q6pgyU0lvhbbcxkc/edit

I did not put in as much detail as Elissa with these, however.