Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310393 times)

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #6555 on: May 12, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
reason 2 isn't meta, it's a part of his character. He reads, specifically myths, hero books and records.
It's meta.
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: May 12, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »
Unfortunately the lesser of two evils Elf. Would do something else if I could but, yeah...

no Lyco.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: May 12, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
It's meta in the sense that he even knows what my character is.
I'm a symbiote from a popular franchise in our earth but that doesn't mean that Marvel even exists in the Nasuverse (and let's be honest due to copyright laws it probably doesn't) so the mere fact you have that data is pretty darn meta Lantz.

Whether or not Marvel exists in the Nasuverse canonically is not clear, but Satoshi's knowledge of comic book characters was mentioned well before you ever showed up (it's in his sheet, even), so it's not meta-gaming. Further, not only did several other people recognise the Hulk, but a whole bunch of characters (including Satoshi) remarked on the presense of a Pokemon, so there is definite precident for knowing about the stories of other characters.

You can question whether or not he could work out that it is the Symbiote (although, frankly, I don't blame him if he is meta-gaming a little, you're trying to force a significant change on his character without giving him any choice in the matter whatsoever), but him knowing who the Symbiote is is entirely compatible with his backstory and character sheet, and is not in contradiction to Nasuverse canon either (just because no-one ever mentions those shows, it doesn't mean they don't exist, and honestly I don't think it is possible to prove that they do not, so it is entirely down to the decision of the fanfic author whether or not to say they do). So, there is no way you can legitimately complain about him having that knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:17:11 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: May 12, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »
Lantzblades put that actually to metagame, as well as any other BS he smuggled in after Elf approved his barebones sheet.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6559 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:26 PM »
Whether or not Marvel exists in the Nasuverse canonically is not clear, but Satoshi's knowledge of comic book characters was mentioned well before you ever showed up (it's in his sheet, even), so it's not meta-gaming. Further, not only did several other people recognise the Hulk, but a whole bunch of characters (including Satoshi) remarked on the presense of a Pokemon, so there is definite precident for knowing about the stories of other characters.

Unless he's specifically stated to be an avid Spiderman reader, it's metagaming.

You can question whether or not he could work out that it is the Symbiote (although, frankly, I don't blame him if he is meta-gaming a little, you're trying to force a significant change on his character without giving him any choice in the matter whatsoever)

An action within the rules done by Gray does not justify a rule-break. Two wrongs don't make a right, especially not when there's only one wrong.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: May 12, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
He's an avid superhero fan, he has no character or company bias. It's not meta gaming, drop the topic.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: May 12, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
Lantzblades put that actually to metagame, as well as any other BS he smuggled in after Elf approved his barebones sheet.

No, he didn't. His sheet might have been unclear on the details, but Satoshi's backstory was written (at least broadly) a long time before this RP happened. And, even if he had added it as an extra thing after the fact, the sheet was written months before Gray showed up and entered the Symbiote into the game, so it would still not be meta-gaming in this context.

Plus, as I already said, he is not the only one with knowledge from comics, anime etc. Several others (Forest included) knew who the Hulk was. It's possible that some of my characters might have heard of the Symbiote (albeit unlikely), and they certainly would have heard of any characters who are popular in Japan.

Unless he's specifically stated to be an avid Spiderman reader, it's metagaming.

No, sorry, that is just bullshit. If a character sheet had to mention every single thing a character had ever done in that much detail, it would be about 20 pages long. He is stated to read comic books both in the sheet and also previously in the RP, and reading comic books is not something you would expect a character sheet to logically focus on, so he is fully entitled to flesh that out more.

Just because my sheet doesn't say that my character doesn't like eating a particular food, it doesn't mean that I'd be meta-gaming if I included that information later in the RP, because it's not important enough to put in the original sheet.

If your logic held, then every character would be extremely ignorant and utterly flat characters who couldn't do or know anything that wasn't explicitly stated in their sheet and who were not able to have any emotional reactions not mentioned in their sheet, and that would make for an extremely dull RP.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:34:46 PM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: May 12, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »
Spider man being big in Japan regardless of the American effort. Seriously, he's a comics guy, deal with it. Not meta gaming, his knowledge was demonstrated long before this.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6563 on: May 12, 2014, 03:37:19 PM »
Christ on a bike Mike, you and lantz are literally the only people out of the like 8 who has commented on this issue that think you're in the right, and one is the rulebreaker and the other is someone so stupidly biased towards him that his opinion isn't worth considering.

lantz was metagaming, there's no two ways about. Didn't think a repeat offender wouldn't do it again but meh.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: May 12, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
Not meta gaming, you can drop it now Brah. No matter what you think I'm going to continue as I have.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: May 12, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »
Christ on a bike Mike, you and lantz are literally the only people out of the like 8 who has commented on this issue that think you're in the right, and one is the rulebreaker and the other is someone so stupidly biased towards him that his opinion isn't worth considering.

lantz was metagaming, there's no two ways about. Didn't think a repeat offender wouldn't do it again but meh.

If Lantz is meta-gaming by knowing about the Symbiote, then you are meta-gaming every fucking time you post anything that isn't a carbon copy of your damn sheet. Stop talking out of your fucking ass.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6566 on: May 12, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »

If Lantz is meta-gaming by knowing about the Symbiote, then you are meta-gaming every fucking time you post anything that isn't a carbon copy of your damn sheet. Stop talking out of your fucking ass.

Good to know I haven't metagamed then.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: May 12, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
OK, everyone, stop this right now. This argument is going nowhere. It is Elf's decision, no-one else's.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: May 12, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
Well, when I was dealing with Grim, Grigori only realized what it was and its weaknesses after it was fused with his arm.

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: May 12, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »
You guys don't have to worry about the garage. My barrier should have saved your precious cars guys.
Lantz I placed a spherical barrier around us. You can't run the fire is surrounding us. I coated myself with a barrier and some water magic and now I'm about to about to make contact. You haven't done anything to break my momentum towards you and the car door's molten remains shoudl be on your character by now disabling them even further.