Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310272 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #6765 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
I created and wrote the character before ever coming to the proboards BL, when I arrived several helpful members of the community helped me to rewrite him by way of conversation and direction to resources. The proto version is more spoof than character and the rebuild was good for him.

That said, character material three was nowhere on the horizon and the other material wasn't complete. So Satoshi doesn't fit the current Nasuverse material perfectly, given how long I spent rewriting him and the story I'm okay with that. I'm not rewriting him everytime Nasu revises or adds something to canon, that's like trying to keep up with DC reboots, it's stupid on it's face.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: May 14, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
However, the power of the dragon channeled through a human body puts an immense stress of the user, and even with Avalon Satoshi cannot sustain the power for a terribly long time.

This implies that using dragon fire simply puts stress on his body, and that Satoshi cannot use for a long time even with Avalon's regeneration. Nothing about prana. I have also gone through Satoshi's profile and I haven't seen any mention of comics. Do you mind quoting it Lantz?

Brahmastra

« Reply #6767 on: May 14, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
And the sheet you're using for this RP is from late 2013, even if the character itself is older than that, I couldn't give less of a shit about his creation process that was entirely you (and possibly Mike). CMIII and CCC had been out for months at that point.

Also, answer Umbra's question, because I'm curious too. There's only mentions that he likes Kamen Rider and Gundam, neither of which are connected to Marvel.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: May 14, 2014, 05:33:31 PM »
And the sheet you're using for this RP is from late 2013, even if the character itself is older than that, I couldn't give less of a shit about his creation process that was entirely you (and possibly Mike). CMIII and CCC had been out for months at that point.

Yes, but Satoshi wasn't made specifically for the RP, and I think it is not at-all reasonable to expect Lantz to change his character just to ensure he sticks rigidly to canon in an RP that isn't even strictly Nasuverse-based in the first place. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if my characters break some obscure aspect of canon either, since I've not read any of the Side Material books, and I quite frankly don't care even if they do. To me, what matters most is characterisation, not rigid adherence to every single minor aspect of canon.

Also, answer Umbra's question, because I'm curious too. There's only mentions that he likes Kamen Rider and Gundam, neither of which are connected to Marvel.

Yeah, I can't seem to find any mention of it in the sheet. However, as I said before, whilst a character's powers obviously should be mentioned in their sheet, it is not true that every single piece of knowledge that they have needs to be. If all character sheets needed a list of every TV show they have ever watched and every book they have ever read, they would be ridiculously long and unwieldy. At most it is an accidental oversight, and not one that he should reasonably be penalised for.

Even if it is not specifically mentioned in the sheet, his knowledge of Marvel has been demonstrated in-character before, and thus it is not meta-gaming for him to know of the Symbiote as a character. Further, since Gray would not ICly know he had this knowledge, the fact that it is not mentioned in the sheet is irrelevant, because acting on that knowledge would itself be meta-gaming.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:36:11 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #6769 on: May 14, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
If you want to specifically identify characters based on what medium they come from, the character's enjoyment of that medium should be expressed in the sheet. If Symbiotes were Kamen Rider characters or someone made an ELS character, then I wouldn't be surprised for Satoshi to recognize them because his "likes" specifically list Kamen Rider and Gundam. However, there's no mention of comic books, more specifically Marvel or Spider-Man, and by that, it's metagaming.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: May 14, 2014, 05:42:55 PM »
That's my view as well Mike, characters over setting.

the knowledge was already demonstrated in the RP before gray ever joined.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: May 14, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
If you want to specifically identify characters based on what medium they come from, the character's enjoyment of that medium should be expressed in the sheet. If Symbiotes were Kamen Rider characters or someone made an ELS character, then I wouldn't be surprised for Satoshi to recognize them because his "likes" specifically list Kamen Rider and Gundam. However, there's no mention of comic books, more specifically Marvel or Spider-Man, and by that, it's metagaming.

Nope, because it is entirely possible to identify a character without liking the story they are from. I could identify characters from stories I don't like or, in some cases, have barely ever seen.

You are taking an extremely limited idea of what knowledge characters are allowed, which, if it was held to, would seriously impair people's ability to RP. This is not meant to be an adversarial RP, we are not here to fight each other, and character sheets are only an overview of a character (in particular their abilities), not determinants of their entire personality. Lantz made it clear in-character that he knew of comics well before this event happened, and no-one (in particular Elf) complained about it then, so there is absolutely no justification for complaining now.

The point of this RP is to role play as realistic people. Realistic people don't have knowledge, personalities and abilities that can be perfectly represented by a page-long character sheet. So, no, Lantz absolutely does not have to include everything Toshi knows on the sheet, and if you think he is meta-gaming because of this then I am absolutely certain you will see me and just about everyone who is playing this RP properly as meta-gaming as well at some point. What you are arguing would absolutely wreck the RP if it was held to, so I make no apologies for saying that I absolutely will not hold to it if such a situation ever comes up for me.

If my characters should reasonably know of the existence of an enemy on the basis of how I see them in my mind, then I will say that they know of them, regardless of what my sheet says and, even, whether or not I have mentioned it in-game before. If you don't like that, then tough shit, because this RP is not meant to be about who can make the most powerful character and win every fight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:54:16 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #6772 on: May 14, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
Fuck arguing about this. Like always and forever, it's like talking to a wall with "I am going to completely ignore every good point in what you said and then miss the point completely because I'm a fucking doof who's white-knighting his butt-buddy" written on it. Just like arguing with lantz is like talking to a wall that says "I'm right you're wrong because I said so".

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: May 14, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
No, I am not arguing with you because I am protecting Lantz, I am arguing with you because your logic is toxic to the whole purpose of the RP.

And, no, I'm not ignoring every good point in what you said, you have simply not yet made any good points for me to take notice of. You seem to be arguing under the impression that this is some sort of extremely rigid D&D game run by a very formal and strict DM where everything your character knows or can do has to be mentioned in the sheet, regardless of how irrelevant it might seem at character creation. That results in extremely shallow and limited characters that might be OK for a D&D campaign based mostly around fighting stuff, but are absolutely horrendous for a free-form RP like this.

If you make an actual good point, I will acknowledge it. Until then, I will continue to just point out why you are talking crap.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:59:24 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #6774 on: May 14, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »
And, no, I'm not ignoring every good point in what you said, because I have yet to see any good points in anything you have said.

Hence, missing the fucking point.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »
And, no, I'm not ignoring every good point in what you said, because I have yet to see any good points in anything you have said.

Hence, missing the fucking point.

No, I'm not missing the point, I'm telling you that you don't have a point. Because, quite frankly, you don't.

Your entire argument is dumb and based on a totally different type of RP, and even if you were right, Lantz was clearly not meta-gaming because the knowledge in question was already well-established in-character long before this event happened. At most, it is an accidental omission from his sheet, he clearly did not just invent it because he had mentioned it a long time ago.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6776 on: May 14, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »

Sometimes I genuinely do fucking wonder if we're speaking the same language, or that you have some language filter on. If you were writing Swahili into google translate and then pasting it into you're posts, I'd forgive that because of the language barrier, but that seems to not be the case.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: May 14, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
Well, I'm guessing that you are not a native English speaker, so it is not implausible that we are misunderstanding each other.

However, like I said, I do not think I am missing your point, I quite simply do not agree with it. I can't see anything in what you said that I could be misunderstanding, it is just plain wrong, and I have explained why multiple times.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6778 on: May 14, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
I find that mildly offensive because native speaker lantz is 11 years older than me and yet wouldn't know what native speaker English was if I whacked him in the face with it.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: May 14, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
My grammar issues are my business Brah. Keep whatever opinion you have to yourself