Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310522 times)

Brahmastra

Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #6975 on: May 16, 2014, 03:36:21 AM »
That was not what Gray said. Gray said you should've done that before you replied in-character.

And actually, this is the best place to discuss this because its the discussion page, where you discuss things about the RP

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: May 16, 2014, 03:37:17 AM »
Part of me wishes I didn't need permission as that's just how symbiotes work, but since he only threatened me with Satoshi instead of telling me to cease and desist out of character I thought he was inviting the struggle.

The biggest problem is that we have a ruleset that enforces pacifism to an extreme because you cant do any permanent damage to anyone ever without their stamp, signature and social security number.
Eh, not so much that- most people have the tolerance for damage to their characters that you can still cause damage and it's fine.

To use a couple of characters of mine as an example, I may have yelled at Mike for the circumstances for which it happened in, for instance, but I still took the consequences for what happened after Rider said what she did to Mille, and now she has to reconcile with everything she's been through (it's not physical damage, but psychological damage, but hey, still kinda counts :P).

Tom, while still pretty OP, is presently exhausted because he gave a huge blood donation, and if it weren't for the fact that he can create barriers, he'd have a blade sized hole in his chest right about now. Hell, he had to drop Mooncake's character to even do that in the first place, allowing said character to regenerate, so I still paid consequences for that. A few of my other characters certainly would if they had fought in his place.

The only reason my characters aren't really hurt right now is... well, mostly luck, really. ...Ironic, considering my luck is god awful a good chunk of the time. :P

That's the thing, you don't have to ask permission so long as death isn't involved. If someone's not cool with something being done to their character, just say so in the thread. Most people are good enough to just do that, and are otherwise willing to roll with the punches. It's just lantz sadly seems to have made things harder to work with in that regard, and is in general a special case.

...I'd say what I think about this whole thing, but as to avoid more of this thread exploding than it already has, I think it's best I refrain.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:39:59 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: May 16, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »
I just thought that since this is an RP with multiple authors people would be more willing to roll with the punches. I thought if plans got derailed part of the fun was your attempts at getting them back on track or creating new ones.
My plan was to host jump from person to person and taste them all like fine wine. Give them a taste of power in return. I originally had my character flat out eat their circuits to upgrade but lowered it down to some power copying because I was afraid of screwing with their characters too hard and I'll just eat nameless civies at worst now to gain power. The consuming of Satoshi's Core thing was honestly because I wanted to have a dragon reactor (I love those things), make the symbiote a more tempting offer, and see how the character would react to getting his magical ability ripped straight out of him. I had some decent reason in character (wanted to get away from Grigori, Satoshi looked delicious mana wise and he was alone and not talking to anyone, also Lantz is a pretty active member so I'd get a response pretty quick) but I mainly wanted to use Grim as a game changer.

Anyways I'll see how he works out when I lend him to other people.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: May 16, 2014, 03:51:39 AM »
The majority of the other players are far more willing to roll with the punches. :) If they really have a problem with it, they'll  just say something. :) lantz isn't a very good representation of what the majority of us are like, not by a long shot. Most of us are far more willing to listen and just go with something, and if something sincerely is a problem, we'll just bring it up civilly. So don't worry about it too much. :) You'll probably have far better luck with some of the other players/characters, I promise you.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: May 16, 2014, 03:56:13 AM »
Alice, you may think that but everytime someone has brought an idea to me I've gone with it.

Brahmastra

« Reply #6980 on: May 16, 2014, 03:57:32 AM »
Except this time. And while I cant say for the RP as a whole, I doubt it.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: May 16, 2014, 04:04:07 AM »
Names straight up PM'd me with an idea, I went with it till he disappeared due to (in names own words) a computer virus that no one is to blame for.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: May 16, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
The consuming of Satoshi's Core thing was honestly because I wanted to have a dragon reactor

Go hijack Mordred. I plan to take over her (once I finish few exams this monday, the last on Monday) since Daiki quitted.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: May 16, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »
The biggest problem is that we have a ruleset that enforces pacifism to an extreme because you cant do any permanent damage to anyone ever without their stamp, signature and social security number.

It's not a problem because the point of this RP is not to fight each other, at least OOCly.

Well, you and Moony didn't really care about that. With hits being exchanged without permission. Made it a bit more fluid.

That's fine if the players involved are OK with it. In general, though, it is only fair to give someone the right to react to your actions.

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: May 16, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
That's kind of what symbiotes do. I established that he was looking for host and Satoshi looked like a nice, distracted, isolated really magically tasty one. It was totallly in character for my character to try to jump him Mike.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: May 16, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
There was also multiple ways for Satoshi to stop this without instantly noticing it was a symbiote too. However we don't need to get into that.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: May 16, 2014, 05:47:46 PM »
That's kind of what symbiotes do. I established that he was looking for host and Satoshi looked like a nice, distracted, isolated really magically tasty one. It was totallly in character for my character to try to jump him Mike.

Sure, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you doing so. But, it shouldn't have descended into an OOC argument about whether or not Satoshi should get corrupted, you guys should have come to an agreement, and both of you were at fault for that.

The nature of this RP is such that not all characters are equally powerful (and, indeed, there are massive disparities in power). For that to work, we have to have a way to ensure that the weaker characters don't just become chew toys for the more powerful ones, with their players having absolutely no control whatsoever over the direction they end up going in (even if it's a direction they would rather avoid).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:48:24 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: May 16, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Arguably to a character lacking in power, but high willpower, fusing with Gray's symbiote would be a boon because of a stat boost.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: May 16, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
Arguably to a character lacking in power, but high willpower, fusing with Gray's symbiote would be a boon because of a stat boost.

Yes, perhaps it would, if all you care about is power. But, if all I cared about was power then I'd have made a powerful character in the first place....

Someone like Sakura would actually do quite well with the symbiote (she's got exceptional willpower, plus she has experience of having another entity influencing her, and of resisting that entity), but I suspect that ICly she would be very uncomfortable about the idea unless she needed the power (if Kiyoshi was in danger, for example).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:09:09 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: May 16, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
Eh, from I what gathered from the sheet the symbiote cares mostly about having hosts with passionate emotions and good level of abilities. Probably a passionate but good person with necessary willpower could get some extra powers for a little price of sharing a body with somebody else.