Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310339 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #7155 on: May 18, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
Perhaps not but, whilst Tokiomi is pretty good at covering his ears and going "la la la, I'm not listening!", I don't think he's quite that bad. Refusing to acknowledge that they are even his family would require some quite impressive feats of mental gymnastics.

Brahmastra

« Reply #7156 on: May 18, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
Refusing to acknowledge that they are even his family would require some quite impressive feats of mental gymnastics.

No it's not a feat. Even Rin could do this before Shirou told her that she was being kinda stupid. Tokiomi is the "archetypical magus", for the Root he'd shank every member of the Tohsaka in the throat if he had to.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: May 18, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
Ignoring and convincing yourself they are wrong is different from doing what you just said.

It is psychological denial. Everything he could learn from them is bad for him to learn, therefor he subconsciously denies it and ignores it.

Also Brah, it is 18 year old Tokiomi, he is not the perfect archetypical magus yet, though he is close. If he was older and had that mindset I would basically be responding the same way as you but how he will be is very slightly different to how he is now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:23:54 PM by Knick »

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: May 18, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »
While I would like to agree with you mike Knick is right. Nobody at 18 wants to face a disconcerting future.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: May 18, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »
And why harass guy who has not done anything yet?

Kurogami

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
^^^This, it would require more psychologically to accept his adult children from the future than for him not to.

In all likelyhood he would not even consider the story about Sakura, if ever, till he got home and the second kid Popped out, that might get him thinking.

EDIT; Holy crap when did that third command seal appear? Yay now I can join a grail war!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:28:56 PM by Kurogami »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: May 18, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »
Refusing to acknowledge that they are even his family would require some quite impressive feats of mental gymnastics.

No it's not a feat. Even Rin could do this before Shirou told her that she was being kinda stupid.

Rin failed utterly abysmally at doing it, she spent a large chunk of her time checking that Sakura was OK. And, plus, legally-speaking Sakura isn't her family. She was adopted out to another family. Rin doesn't need to do any mental gymnastics to deny it, she just has to look at the legal situation, and she failed miserably at even doing that.

Tokiomi is the "archetypical magus", for the Root he'd shank every member of the Tohsaka in the throat if he had to.

Honestly, that's not the impression I get of him at all. Whilst he's an idiot, he does seem to genuinely care for his children, and I don't see him willingly harming them.

Ignoring and convincing yourself they are wrong is different from doing what you just said.

It is psychological denial. Everything he could learn from them is bad for him to learn, therefor he subconsciously denies it and ignores it.

Also Brah, it is 18 year old Tokiomi, he is not the perfect archetypical magus yet, though he is close. If he was older and had that mindset I would basically be responding the same way as you but how he will be is very slightly different to how he is now.

Well, true, he's not going to like what they have to say, and he might well try to pretend it's not true. When the time comes to decide on giving Sakura away, though, I can't imagine that it wouldn't come to his mind, it's just too much of a co-incidence.

And why harass guy who has not done anything yet?

I'm not harrassing him, I'm just discussing the character. He can play them however he likes, I'm just saying that their interaction would be interesting.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: May 18, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
Mike, I meant Tokiomi, not Knick.

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: May 18, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
Mike, the chances of him actually going back home and marring Aoi are slim after coming to the nexus city.

Hell the chances of him comming out of this as a whole person are slim considering all the other types of people that exist in the city. I might actually allow other characters to kill him if the situation arises.

Also this. 18 year old Tokiomi is completely innocent. He has done thing but live his life and accomplish his training so far.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:40:35 PM by Knick »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »

In order to stop him doing it in the future.

Mike, the chances of him actually going back home and marring Aoi are slim after coming to the nexus city.

Well, it depends. I expect my characters to go back home eventually, for example.

Hell the chances of him comming out of this as a whole person are slim considering all the other types of people that exist in the city. I might actually allow other characters to kill him if the situation arises.

Well, that's up to you, although I suspect that Rin and possibly even Sakura would try to stop him getting killed if they found him. He is their father, after all, even if a pretty crap one....

Also this. 18 year old Tokiomi is completely innocent. He has done thing but live his life and accomplish his training so far.

Sure, which is why Rider will only threaten him rather than killing him extremely slowly and painfully....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:43:24 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: May 18, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »

inb4 Rider and others get arrested for harassing and threathening Tokiomi.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: May 18, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »

inb4 Rider and others get arrested for harassing and threathening Tokiomi.

Arrested by who? There are far worse people in the Nexus doing far worse things....

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: May 18, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
Hey, Rin has nothing but good memories of Tokiomi. She never actually found out what he was like and therfor has no reason to view him as a shit father other then giving Sakura up for adoption.

The other alternative would be to have her live a normal life where she could very well become a target for magical phenomenon due to her massive potential, but would lack any training and would therefor be screwed. If you did not know what Tokiomi was like (which none of them actually do) and you are at all familiar with magical society this seems completely reasonable.

For magus society that is probably not all that odd, not like he knew what Zouken was going to do to her after all.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:48:19 PM by Knick »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: May 18, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
Hey, Rin has nothing but good memories of Tokiomi. She never actually found out what he was like and therfor has no reason to view him as a shit father other then giving Sakura up for adoption.

Well, yeah, but I would imagine "giving up Sakura for adoption" is a pretty big black mark, for HF Rin at least.

Plus, I never said Rin would hate him. I would expect her to defend him if he was under attack.

The other alternative would be to have her live a normal life where she could very well become a target for magical phenomenon due to her massive potential, but would lack any training and would therefor be screwed. If you did not know what Tokiomi was like (which none of them actually do) and you are at all familiar with magical society this seems completely reasonable.

And even then for magus society that is probably not all that odd, not like he knew what zouken was going to do.

Well, yes, but that doesn't mean they won't try to stop him doing it. Why would Rin just leave him to send Sakura to be tortured when she has the ability to prevent it? And, if he finds out what she went through and still wants to send her, then there is something seriously wrong with him as a person, and killing him would be pretty justified at that point.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:51:04 PM by Cherry Lover »

Knick

• Sentient NPC
  • Sion is Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
Well, yes, but that doesn't mean they won't try to stop him doing it. Why would Rin just leave him to send Sakura to be tortured when she has the ability to prevent it?

Cause of all ready massive timeline alterations making it so they will most likely never be born.

Really for HF Rin who is a student to the man who is the master of the magic "operation of parallel worlds" she does not really understand how parallel worlds work all that well.

If anything she would just try and get to know the Father she lost at a young age better, even if he is not exactly the man she knew as father (he lacks the fabulous goatee after all), but it is your character so whatever.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:52:44 PM by Knick »