Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310370 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #7170 on: May 18, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
Well, yes, but that doesn't mean they won't try to stop him doing it. Why would Rin just leave him to send Sakura to be tortured when she has the ability to prevent it?

Cause of all ready massive timeline alterations making it so they will most likely never be born.

Really for HF Rin who is a student to the man who is the master of the magic "operation of parallel worlds" she does not really understand how parallel worlds work all that well.

They might not be born, but some alternate versions may well be, and the same logic still applies. "Don't send your daughter to Zouken to be worm-raped"....

Plus, for all they know, the Tokiomi from their past might have gone to the Nexus. Hell, for all we know he could have, we never see anything in canon that shows he didn't. So, that logic doesn't really work because they don't actually know his past has changed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:52:55 PM by Cherry Lover »

Mooncake

• Mongrels don't know
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »

C'mon Mike just let him play his character the way he wants. The Reboot hasn't even happened yet - we can figure out all this interaction stuff later, when everyone actually meets each other.
Spoiler for Hiden:
[img=http://wallpaperus.org/wallpapers/03/103/gilgamesh-fate-1950x800-wallpaper-1718691.jpg][/img]

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:36 PM »
He can play the character however he likes, I was just discussing Tokiomi's personality, and how my characters would react to him.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: May 18, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
Arrested by who? There are far worse people in the Nexus doing far worse things....

Axe Cop.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: May 18, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
I suspect Axe Cop has better things to worry about....

Brahmastra

« Reply #7175 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »
Axe Cop cant arrest royalty (Karna and Gil) so I doubt it.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Why can't he arrest royalty? Being royalty only gives you immunity in your own kingdom, not anyone else's.

Brahmastra

« Reply #7177 on: May 18, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »
Why can't he arrest royalty? Being royalty only gives you immunity in your own kingdom, not anyone else's.

Gil's kingdom is the entire world so yeah, hah.

And Karna was the right-hand man of the Emperor of the World.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:53:10 PM by Brahmastra »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: May 18, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »
This isn't part of his world, though, and even if it was his rule ended thousands of years ago. Being a former ruler doesn't mean jack shit (in fact, 99% of the time it means they're more likely to want to kill you, in the case of a king anyway).

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
Gil has left the throne empty for a little while. Now he's back.

Brahmastra

« Reply #7180 on: May 18, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »
This isn't part of his world, though, and even if it was his rule ended thousands of years ago. Being a former ruler doesn't mean jack shit (in fact, 99% of the time it means they're more likely to want to kill you, in the case of a king anyway).

Then why should any status ever (including those of people like Axe Cop) be respected within the RP? After all, this isn't their world.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: May 18, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »

Then why should any status ever (including those of people like Axe Cop) be respected within the RP? After all, this isn't their world.

It shouldn't, frankly. But, ultimately, you can say the same about any authority. Authority can only be imposed by force (direct or indirect) or because people believe it exists and willingly choose to follow it. Axe Cop's "authority" as a police officer works because a) he's really powerful and b) he is basically enforcing the law of the Nexus, and the police force support him in that. In the case of our characters, it is almost entirely a)....

Sure, Karna or Gil aren't going to respect his authority, but nor will Rider. It's just a matter of him choosing to enforce it, and there is nothing in the law of the Nexus that says Gil or Karna are immune to the law, so I would expect him to enforce the law on them like he would on everyone else.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:10:07 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #7182 on: May 18, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
Mike I didn't ask for a near-rant about your anarchist views, I asked a single-sentence question.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: May 18, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
Mike I didn't ask for a near-rant about your anarchist views, I asked a single-sentence question.

Yes, but the only answer I can give is that one. The fact is that there is no such thing as "legitimate authority", especially in an RP like this, where the rule of law is weak at best and we are all playing characters who the normal legal processes simply cannot touch. Axe Cop literally just said "I'm here and I'm a Cop, so I'm taking over the police force", and no-one bothered to argue because he's powerful enough to do it.

There is no other answer I can give because, frankly, you are right, not in terms of Gil or Karna being immune, but in terms of Axe Cop having absolutely zero actual authority as a police officer (unless someone officially appointed him as a Nexus police officer behind the scenes, anyway). But, no-one really cares about that because he's too damn useful, and too powerful to stop. He just enforces the law of the Nexus because he wants to.

The fact is that authority has always existed through force. Karna didn't end up with power because he had legitimacy, he ended up with power because he defeated and often killed anyone who said he didn't.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:16:36 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: May 18, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
All I will say is that I consider anarchism more deluded ideology than even communism.