Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310471 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #1155 on: November 14, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »
You know, Magos, Kiyoshi's swords aren't normal, they have anti-spirit properties and can cut better than a normal sword could. I'm not sure how exactly he would end up just slashing a bit of muscle like you're claiming he did....
How the fuck was I supposed to know that?

EDIT: Oh, it's hidden in a corner of his profile under other abilities. Huh.

But, yet, you managed to pick up on Connor's supernatural appearance field thing and use that to justify attempted murder (which you clearly thought would succeed)...?

He's still 11 though, so that shouldn't have had enough force to do much more than just scrape the bone.

He's not going to be particularly strong, no, but nor is he insanely weak. I guess he might not cut through bone, but he can certainly cut through the muscle at least....

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
You know, Magos, Kiyoshi's swords aren't normal, they have anti-spirit properties and can cut better than a normal sword could. I'm not sure how exactly he would end up just slashing a bit of muscle like you're claiming he did....
How the fuck was I supposed to know that?

EDIT: Oh, it's hidden in a corner of his profile under other abilities. Huh.

But, yet, you managed to pick up on Connor's supernatural appearance field thing and use that to justify attempted murder (which you clearly thought would succeed)...?

He's still 11 though, so that shouldn't have had enough force to do much more than just scrape the bone.

He's not going to be particularly strong, no, but nor is he insanely weak. I guess he might not cut through bone, but he can certainly cut through the muscle at least....
Yeah, post is edited - and Connor's profile is bare bones, and it's lantz's own damn fault for including the Extradimensional shit. Without that, Lawrence wouldn't have given a fuck about him. I didn't care if it would succeed or not, but the fact that it didn't isn't particularly bothering me. It was an honest in character action, which could have been resolved without violence if Sakura hadn't opened fire.

Meanwhile, Kyoshi's character post is a god damn text nightmare to navigate. It took me two readthroughs to find his swords special properties, you'd think that'd be under abilities.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 14, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »
It sure as hell didn't seem like it was going to be resolved peacefully based on how you were acting. And the "extradimensional shit" was not written in with your characters in mind, it's just part of Connor's backstory. Nor can you reasonably call it "Sueish", either.

And, the swords stuff is under "abilities". "Other abilities" is part of that....

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 14, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »
You aimed a deadly weapon and then shouted an order and started a three count. That was not a situation that reasonably resolves peacefully, nor do I believe your claim about an honest character action given your arguments earlier.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 14, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »
You aimed a deadly weapon and then shouted an order and started a three count. That was not a situation that reasonably resolves peacefully, nor do I believe your claim about an honest character action given your arguments earlier.
>Gives you three seconds to back off and have another character (rationally) say "Why are you aiming at him", or "What the fuck dude!", or "Why?" thus prompting explanation and conflict resolution and also providing information about Lawrence and WHY he hates these things
>Instead, Sakura decides to skip the three count and start shooting him, which is what lead to DM intervention

Congrats lantz.

And Mike, I was callng Connor suish based on his stats. I still feel that they're too damn high, and his backstory of training is bullshit, but that pact? Could make sense, but the way it's implemented is stupid and just as likely to get him killed as protect him.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 14, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
>Gives you three seconds to back off and have another character (rationally) say "Why are you aiming at him", or "What the fuck dude!", or "Why?" thus prompting explanation and conflict resolution and also providing information about Lawrence and WHY he hates these things
>Instead, Sakura decides to skip the three count and start shooting him, which is what lead to DM intervention

If someone aims a gun at you out of the blue and starts counting, you don't bother asking why, you just deal with it....

And, why the hell would she wait for Lawrence to start shooting before she does? She had the opportunity to knock him out first (and the gun is non-fatal, too) and deal with the problem there and then. She didn't know he had magic resistance....

but that pact? Could make sense, but the way it's implemented is stupid and just as likely to get him killed as protect him.

What? Why should everything in a character's profile always be designed to maximise their chances of survival? This isn't D&D....

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 14, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
Mike, please stop talking shit about D&D. Thank you.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »

If someone aims a gun at you out of the blue and starts counting, you don't bother asking why, you just deal with it....

And, why the hell would she wait for Lawrence to start shooting before she does? She had the opportunity to knock him out first (and the gun is non-fatal, too) and deal with the problem there and then. She didn't know he had magic resistance....

but that pact? Could make sense, but the way it's implemented is stupid and just as likely to get him killed as protect him.

What? Why should everything in a character's profile always be designed to maximise their chances of survival? This isn't D&D....
No, it's not D&D or another RPG system, but at the same time that's more a curse than a blessing. But that's just how I see it.

And don't talk shit about D&D. Ever. D&D made RPG's visible to the majority of the population and popularized the hobby. Without D&D, we woudn't have the classic d20 system style of play, or so many of the wonderful systems that inspired Nasu. We wouldn't have that wonderful crazy mix of magic and cyberpunk that is Shadowrun, the horrifying decent into the mythos that is Call of Cthulu and Delta Green, the Urban Fantasy of the World of Darkness, the rich versatility of GURPS, the tongue in cheek nature of Munchkin, or the abomination that is FATAL.

D&D made shit like the Nasuverse possible. Nasu is a huge fan of pen and paper RPG games. Hell, Red Dragon is a campaign he and a few other writers were part of.

So Mike - Dare ye enter my magical realm?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:45:23 PM by Arch-Magos Winter »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
My point is that D&D is a specific system for running a specific type of RP, and this is not that type of RP, by design. D&D is about battles and campaigning, this is about character development.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 14, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
My point is that D&D is a specific system for running a specific type of RP, and this is not that type of RP, by design. D&D is about battles and campaigning, this is about character development.
...Your ignorance is showing.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:12 PM »

I won't resent you for making that assumption. It's a common one. Most people see D&D as exactly what you described.

But please, believe me when I tell you that it's so, so much more than that. What you described are the most basic aspects. You described a Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach. But you've never seen the other, less well known stuff. Hell, neither have I for the most part. But I've glimpsed the depths, even if I have yet to truly plumb them, and I can tell you that D&D and other tabletop roleplaying systems can match or even exceed the level of character development seen here easily.

for more info please dial 1-800-A(rch)M(agos)W(inter)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm not denying that it can, I'm saying that it is not originally designed for that purpose. It is a different system which is more adversarial than the system used in this RP, and deliberately so, because it's aimed at doing different things.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 14, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm not denying that it can, I'm saying that it is not originally designed for that purpose. It is a different system which is more adversarial than the system used in this RP, and deliberately so, because it's aimed at doing different things.
...No. Fuck no. D&D is a system based around guess what - TELLING STORIES. It's all about character development - hell, the very system has inspired entire WORLDS of character development. The Dragonlance and Grayhawk novels, just for starters. Hell, the level system - BASED AROUND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. It's a system made for both running characters through scenarios, for mindless 'I attack the goblins,' for epic tales of tragedy or even romance.

Its' not designed for any one thing. It's designed as a framework for multiple types of play.

Wait, you want maybe a system focused less around say, fantasy? Well, the FATE system or the World of Darkness both provide very adaptable frameworks. Hell, I could even run this RP using Big Motherfucking Crab Truckers system. It's not about the system, it's how you fucking use it. If you prefer a d20 system, guess what, there's a bunch for that. Storyteller Urban Fantasy? There's an entire FAMILY of gamelines for that. Science fiction? There's one for that.

And the beautiful thing, is that at their core, they can be used to run any sort of RP focused campaign. It isn't all about the stats Mike, and if someone thinks that they are wrong. Dead wrong.

For that matter are you going to post a response in the RP to all this or are you just going to keep bitching about nothing?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 14, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I'm not feeling too great right now....

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 14, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I'm not feeling too great right now....
Bullshit. You were bitching that we didn't wait for your reaction earlier.  So just post.