Author Topic: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page  (Read 310318 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects - Sign Up, Discussion Page
« Reply #2835 on: December 26, 2013, 05:42:41 AM »
First off, Mike, Resiliance works in two ways- and both of them either flat out no sell the damage or make it so that it simply doesn't hinder the Kindred or Ghoul. Vampires are tough fuckers. The blades honestly wouldn't do shit. To him. Also good god is Conner thicker than an oak tree.

And poor Jack. He feels horrible about all of this.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: December 26, 2013, 06:29:24 AM »
Poor Jack. All he wanted was some blood from the first pretty girl he saw and all of a sudden this all happens. :( At least things are going well for everyone involved  except him as a result, though. :3

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 26, 2013, 06:32:11 AM »
Yeah. Still sucks for our friendly neighborhood vampire though.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 26, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »
HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO TURN EVERYTHING INTO SMUT

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 26, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »
Something something intoxication something something unsure state of mind something something I'm an 18 year old virgin and what is this

Being drunk doesn't mean a lack of consent, though. If it did then pretty much every couple ever would have committed mutual rape at least once.

...Oh dear, what has Ryoko done? D:

Forgotten about Kiyoshi, again....

First off, Mike, Resiliance works in two ways- and both of them either flat out no sell the damage or make it so that it simply doesn't hinder the Kindred or Ghoul. Vampires are tough fuckers. The blades honestly wouldn't do shit. To him.

So, then, he's ridiculously OP and basically can't be hurt...?

Poor Jack. All he wanted was some blood from the first pretty girl he saw and all of a sudden this all happens. :(

He tried to attack a sleeping girl who is rather ill in the first place and quite possibly could have died from him doing so. It's his own damn fault.

True, I guess that getting triggered like he did isn't really his fault, but nor is it really anyone else's, Connor had no reason to know that would be the response.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:07:01 PM by Cherry Lover »

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 26, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »

Not exactly. As someone who has a character who also has Resilience: it can only handle so much damage from a single strike and it can only be used so many times before the vampire starts running out of energy and needs to feed again.

However any given 'use' lasts about 3 seconds give or take a couple more, so it can take a lot of punishment especially if you're a Gangrel who focused on it as much as Jack seems to have.

So it has limits, but a couple brief little sword barrages are not those limits.

Edit: Also, on the drunk sex thing, it is generally accepted by anyone who has a clue about this sort of thing that if only one party involved is drunk and the other party has sex with them then it's date-rape. Consent can only be given when one is 'of clear and sound mind'.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:23:45 PM by Aiden »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 26, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

Not exactly. As someone who has a character who also has Resilience: it can only handle so much damage from a single strike and it can only be used so many times before the vampire starts running out of energy and needs to feed again.

However any given 'use' lasts about 3 seconds give or take a couple more, so it can take a lot of punishment especially if you're a Gangrel who focused on it as much as Jack seems to have.

So it has limits, but a couple brief little sword barrages are not those limits.

I see....

It still seems odd that Kiyoshi's attacks would do literally nothing.

Edit: Also, on the drunk sex thing, it is generally accepted by anyone who has a clue about this sort of thing that if only one party involved is drunk and the other party has sex with them then it's date-rape. Consent can only be given when one is 'of clear and sound mind'.

Really?

That seems really quite extreme to me. And absurd, too. I am accountable if I commit a crime whilst drunk, or sign a contract, so why would I not be accountable for agreeing to have sex? At least if I voluntarily got myself drunk, if the person in question spiked my drink to get me to consent that's another matter entirely (and, no, that doesn't really extent to anyone else, because that person is not responsible for your state, although if you're clearly incapable of making any kind of decision that's different again).

Also, "of clear and sound mind" sounds to me like an extremely broad definition. People are often not of clear and sound mind, and denying them any right to make decisions when they're not seems really oppressive, frankly. This situation being a perfect example of where saying "she's not consenting" is frankly moronic.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:35:10 PM by Cherry Lover »

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 26, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
They would make him expend energy to defend himself from them, which is something but isn't direct damage. Still, you're right that it's not 'nothing'.

Still, vampires treat things that aren't fire or other things they're specifically weak to... or magic that fucks with regeneration... as being no more dangerous than being punched by someone even without Resilience.

And on the consent point: You are right that in many US states the laws on this matter are actually really vague. In New York State, specifically... well this is from a Reddit post so don't take it too seriously, but it's the best I found on short notice:

Being "incapable of consent" is a little less clear, and is defined as a condition where any of the following apply to the victim (as specified in subsection 3 of NYS Penal Law ยง 130.05):
The individual is less than seventeen years old.
The individual is "mentally disabled".
The individual is "mentally incapacitated".
The individual is "physically helpless".
The individual is incarcerated.
The individual is committed to some kind of medical facility (e.g. a hospital).
In New York, you are considered "mentally disabled" if you have some sort of mental or neural condition which prevents you from realistically judging the consequences of your actions.
You would be considered "mentally incapacitated" if you were under the influence of an intoxicating substance only if you did not serve yourself the substance, although you might be "physically helpless" if you drank enough.
In other words, according to the laws of New York, if you got yourself drunk, but weren't so drunk that you became helpless, you are capable of giving consent, although if someone spikes your drink or puts a date rape drug or something of that nature in it, it is always considered rape.
The actual point at which you would become helpless is something a judge would analyze if you filed a complaint and the local attorney decided they had enough evidence to prosecute.

So you are partially correct in how it works at least here legally. Elsewhere, I don't know, but I've still heard it said that it's considered pretty shitty (if not actually illegal) to have sex with someone who is drunk unless you're about as drunk as they are. I don't know because I don't drink.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 26, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »
I see....

It's not exactly that they'd do nothing. Resilience would just make the damage from the attack effectively mean little to Jack unless it goes over his capacity to ignore.

Ever seen Hellsing Ultimate? You know those scenes when Alucard gets all torn up or filled full of holes and keeps moving as though he wasn't hit at all? That's basically it.

Mind you, the swords would definitely leave wounds that he'd need to expend at least a minimum of blood to close, but they wouldn't really hurt him in the true sense.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:21:26 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 26, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »
So you are partially correct in how it works at least here legally. Elsewhere, I don't know, but I've still heard it said that it's considered pretty shitty (if not actually illegal) to have sex with someone who is drunk unless you're about as drunk as they are. I don't know because I don't drink.

Yeah, it probably would be seen as "pretty shitty", although it depends somewhat on the circumstances (having consensual sex with your girlfriend when she's drunk is probably OK, for example, and having sex with someone who is moderately drunk but seems in control when you're sober isn't that bad either). But, as you say, it's likely not illegal.

This case is slightly different because she's not self-medicated but, on the other hand, not having sex would be really quite bad for her right now. It's not a case where the police could reasonably get involved.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:26:04 PM by Cherry Lover »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 26, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
I see....

It's not exactly that they'd do nothing. Resilience would just make the damage from the attack effectively mean little to Jack unless it goes over his capacity to ignore.

Ever seen Hellsing Ultimate? You know those scenes when Alucard gets all torn up or filled full of holes and keeps moving as though he wasn't hit at all? That's basically it.

Mind you, the swords would definitely leave wounds that he'd need to expend at least a minimum of blood to close, but they wouldn't really hurt him in the true sense.
Pretty much this.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: December 26, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO TURN EVERYTHING INTO SMUT
something something hormones something something shark week

Forgotten about Kiyoshi, again....
...Cherry, you know damn well that she was the one that told him to go downstairs. She did acknowledge him. That's BS. Don't start this crap again.

As for the current situation between Forest and Tom, I think it's pretty ambiguous all around. Tom didn't technically give proper consent either- his intent was to simply kiss her and pull back, he had no idea that he was in for sex nor was he intending to have sex with her, as he's pretty clueless about sex at this point other than knowing some of the biological mechanisms involved and knowing that it's a thing that exists. Basically, in his current condition, he's about as rational as Fore is. The difference with him is that he could be snapped out of it in Fore told him to stop or similar, so... I don't know. I guess with that information, what becomes of the situation then?

Either way, probably not the nicest thing Ryoko's ever done, really, even if she didn't know about Tom's "condition." ^_^"

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 26, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »
Sorry for the double post.

But I guess what I'm trying to say here, is... did I make a major moral mistake here? ^_^"

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: December 26, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
Yep.

Feel proud!

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: December 26, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »