Author Topic: Halloween Town  (Read 11881 times)

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Halloween Town
« on: June 22, 2018, 03:12:35 AM »
Halloween Town

Overview:

Supernaturals, monsters, gods: all of these words are analogies for different.  For some, the gift of difference grants freedom and power, the ability to achieve their goals.  For others it is a burden, something that makes them abnormal, different, lonely.  No matter the perspective, nor goal, everyone needs some form of solidarity.  To those who identify with “monster,” Halloween Town is a place they can call home.

Culture: 

Halloween is a holiday born from the concept of Hallows eve, a day where the world of the living and dead grow close enough that spirits can attack normal people.  By wearing the masks of monsters, humans are able to stay safe on this dangerous day by fooling the spirits into thinking they are one of them.  In Halloween Town, people wear the masks of humans, typically in formal events or social outings.  This irony of wearing the mask of normal humans is sown deeply into the culture of the district, as it acts as a metaphor for many who have been marginalized by the normalcy of the city, or even those who come from another world with a culture completely different from the one in the Nexus.

This district has a sort of Mayor or Governor, the hollow queen.  She is a well known celebrity in this town as the living founder of this district.  Using her magic, she creates the infrastructure, sees to the concerns of the city and even helps the police defend this part of the city in dire situations.  She is well known as benevolent and kind, treating all the citizens as family, provided you are a supernatural, from another world or a monster.

Behind the scenes, the pumpkin queen seeks an opportunity to expand her power into the other districts.  Currently, she is devising a plot to grow her own abilities, expanding the limits of her magic so that she can outstrip the stronger residents of the nexus.  Moreover, she seeks to use the plight of supernaturals to raise her own political power, perhaps even take over the role of ruler of the police.  After all, who is more suited to managing the needs of those who migrate to the Nexus?  The cops or her?

Aesthetic:  Imagine a typical densely populated city, except all the homes are either orange, brown or green.  The windows of each building are shaped like sharp pumpkin eyes, the ones meant to evoke menace.  The streetlights have orange and yellow christmas lights wrapped around the poles and citizens are often seen walking around with human masks.  It is just as common to see a grotesque beast walking the streets as a normal human.  There are often loud explosive parties, with no concern for damage, as it is expected that the hallowqueen will happily repair any damages.

Defenses:  The defenses of this district are composed almost entirely of Harley’s magic.  Harley’s familiars wander the streets, keeping the peace and extending the hallow queen’s watchful eye across the city.  In times of crisis, Harley may ask the citizens or outside connections to fight for the sake of the city, which can include other district forces or bounty hunters.  The average citizen is actually pretty stong, with many having one or two stats in the incredible range, or highly varied powers.  The reason this district is considered a powerhouse is not Harely herself, but the idea of a fully functional militarized district.

Name: Hollow Queen Harley

Race: Unknown

Height: 5 feet

Weight: 200Ibs

Appearance:

Physical Attributes

Strength: Fantastic (Heroic after consumption)

Agility: Fantastic (Heroic after consumption)

Durability: Fantastic (Heroic after consumption)

Magic: Very High

Complete consumption:  Much like a snake, Harely is capable of swallowing people whole, using their bodies energy to empower her own body.  The strength of the subject does not matter, nor their abilities. By consuming a non human or monster is capable of strengthening her body one rank higher.  Unfortunately, her belly can only digest one body at a time.

Magic Resistance:  Medium- For a guardian, Harely’s magical resistance is not particularly strong, but she is still a guardian nonetheless.  As such, she can resist the potency of magic to the extent that damage done to her through magic is reduced by one rank.

Pumpkin magic:  Attribute wise, this type of magic is essentially fire magic.  It allows her to conjure explosive pumpkins to be used as explosive weapons.  The larger the pumpkin, the greater the explosion.  She can also conjure non explosive pumpkins to be used defensively.  The pumpkins are comparable in density to a brick wall.  With this ability, she has created the houses in halloween town for the people to live in, saving countless dollars in repair.

Teleportation:  A slow acting spell, Harley can teleport to any of her pumpkins.  This effectively means that she can teleport anywhere in the city, as the infrastructure was created by her.  However, the spell requires slow, deliberate hand movements, so it is not optimal for battle.  It is essentially just a fast travel spell.

Summons:  Harley is capable of summoning very weak familiars to seek out and repair damages to the city.  Outside of police presence in the district, these are the main sources of authority, even if they function more as construction workers than officers.  If destroyed, Harley will know intuitively.

Other Abilities:

Decent fighter:  The Harley can fight in hand to hand combat but she is no master.  Moreover, she cannot use weapons very well if at all.  If you get her in hand to hand combat with similar stats, you can beat her.

Equipment: None

Weakness:

Summons:  The fact of the matter is that the summons are more of a reliability than a help to the hollow queen personally.  Creating more cost mana, so if you destroy enough she will tire.  Moreover, because she is alerted when they are destroyed, they can be used to set a trap for her.  Moreover, if you do not want to be discovered, it is a simple matter of immobilizing them rather than destroying them.

Close range combat:  As mentioned in her fighting skill entry, she's not great as a close combat fighter and relies mostly on support in battle.  If you take out the person helping her, or manage to close the distance, it is a simple matter to take her out, provided the character has master level skill.

Possible quests
: Taking power away from Harley through opposition groups, Assassination missions, Helping with citizen problems, defending against discrimination organizations,
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:16:38 AM by yinsukin »

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween Town
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:07:59 AM »
Zeke

3:00 PM

Well, it was a real nice flight. The wind was chilly, the sun was bright, and the view was even better than usual, courtesy of his queen. It was such a nice flight, that he took very good care to make sure he didn't go for the less populated routes, just so she'd get a niiice good view from above. And the others too. Well, he did have to show her around, no?

"Enjoying the flight?" It was hard to tell if he was making fun of her or not here, but he was definetely absolutely not enjoying himself in a sick way. Nope.

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
Serana

She was going to kill it someday. Its insolence was absolutely astonishing, and certainly appalling, when considered with the coldly rational mind of the undead. Benefits to the mind such as these were but one reason why Serana only felt comfortable allowing non-elves to serve her after she had reanimated them properly - death covered for the deficiencies of their origins, somewhat.

You was different in that regard.

"If you continue to make a spectacle of this, I am going to find a new way to punish you."

You was infuriating even when dead, with its inconstant behaviors and its sick sense of humor.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »
Zeke

"And turn me into another of your stuffy rot for brains? Puhlease, you'd miss me." He answered to the threat smugly like it was nothing at all.  "I mean, it's cute and all, being a skeleton... but I find bones pretty rough in the conversation department. How do they go? Yes master, no master and uhhh.... bone voyage?"

Before she could even reply to that, he tossed her in the air. It was landing time after all.

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 02:23:58 AM »
Crowds

Even from the sky, the gothic aesthetic was obvious.  Each building was decorated with a pumpkin face somewhere on the design.  Some had it on the roof, others on their doors.  Either way, the message was clear, Halloween was inserted into every aspect of this town's culture.  Citzens roamed the street, wearing masks of humans.  Some were towering monsters, others were little mini humans and some were just humans.  However, every single one of them wore the mask of a human being, a literal peice of plastic in front of their face designed to look like a human.

A few of them looked up at the two descending from the sky, but returned to their daily activities.  The sight was rather typical in their district, so the citizens were simply provided with a little bit of extra stimulus before returning to whatever they were doing.  It was just another boring day for them.

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:20:15 AM »
Serana

A thousand human souls would be sacrificed to avenge Serana's sensibilities for that sinister pun her servant saw fit to serve her. At least the drop was nothing ungraceful for one such as her - as an elf she more than possessed the necessary grace to land on her feet atop one of the many decorated buildings in this strange district. The masks... they actually drew a chuckle of amusement from her.

"How quaint. A place where humans are objects of fantasy and mockery. And yet the decoration is fit to a theme. I wonder...?"

She flipped some of her misplaced hair back over her shoulder, and took a closer look around.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:27:42 PM »
Zeke

His dark wings flapped until he landed down to her side, watching down from the rooftop like a wild bird, his expression beastly and fierce...

"I dunno. It kind of gives me the creeps." He grimaced, and scratched the back of his ear lightly while pondering.What was up with these grotesque disguises? He wasn't one to talk, but this was too uncanny even for him. He looked around sheepishly for a bit, confused or stressed out. It almost looked like the sight was making him nervous. Or... scared? How ridiculous!

A bead of sweat ran down his temple, but he did his best to smile cockily.

"Well, if there's anything worth mocking, it'd be humans. I guess we're not dealing with idiots at least. Question is, think they'd be useful?"

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
Serana

"... do you remember where we dwell, You?" The elven lich lifted an elegant eyebrow in bemusement. And yet, she took a moment to expend a minuscule portion of her mana to call forth one of the many lost souls bound to her will, and set it to wander through the crooked streets and alleys. "I wish to see more of this place. If nothing else it has a certain ambiance I might enjoy."

So then she leaped down to the ground, and began to saunter her way to the main thoroughfares.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
Zeke

"H-hey! Wait for me!" He blinked sheepishly and jumped off, and followed behind her swift form like her shadow. Or well, tried to anyways. It was like she was a fox, dammit!

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
Candleman

A man walked up to the pair, clutching a spirit within his hands.  Unlike the many beasts and monsters wandering through the streets, he seemed normal, as well as one of the few sentient beings not wearing a mask.  He had sharp brown eyes, unkempt hair and a bored frown.  Really, he just sort of looked like a tired body guard with resting bitch face.  However, as he got closer, it looked as if his face was melting.

"You two must be new," he said, flinging the soul back at the elven woman.  "Welcome to Halloween Town, the district that provides a safe haven for all monsters.  Using captured souls or other such forms of human trafficking are strictly forbidden.  The hallow queen will not judge you for whatever circumstances lead to to obtaining these souls, but we ask that you not use them so openly.  Do you understand?"

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »
Serana

To be approached by what at first seemed an unsightly presence left Serana irritated, but when it proceeded to throw her own lost soul back at her? That drew her interest to the almost-human creature before them. "A safe haven, was it? I suppose it must be if you can keep those... things, out of your streets."

She placed the soul back in its place, out of sight, with a flick of her wrist, and smiled politely.

"Tell us more of this Hollow Queen and her people, then. I have no interest in commerce with humans, so I may find this place worthy of my gold if I like what I hear."

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
Zeke

So much for being subtle. Made a cutting sign  to his neck and shook it, as if to tell her to cut it out. I mean, its not like they knew if the guy they were talking to hated humans, and this was a trickly subject. Yeah, they suck, but its not like everyone is going to think your way even when you're right. So it'd be real nice if she could keep the hostility to a minimum.

Really he just didn't want to get blasted out of a district again. "I'm sure you will boss. I mean, this place has it all. Cute girls, pumpkins, good shade. What more can you ask for?"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:22:32 PM by francobull3 »

yinsukin

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
Candleman

A bit of his cheek seemed to drip down his face, falling to the cold hard concrete at their feet.  Strangely enough, the cheek maintained its shape, even if it looked a little mushy.  "The Hollow Queen is my master and mother, as well as the ruler of this district.  I am one of many candles roaming the district keeping the peace.  The people of this district are those exiled from other districts, either by choice or by the community.  As a candleman, I do not care about your views, just that you make my job easier by following this district's rules.  If you wish to learn more about this place, I am not one to ask, for my feelings are limited to my sense of duty and my love for my queen."

A short voluptuous woman with large hips, fox ears and a long snake tail winked at Zeke before walking into a nearby store.  Unfortunately, her tail got caught in between the sliding doors.

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 10:39:36 PM »
Serana

Serana let out a hum of amusement at the response she received. "Such an efficient creature you are, then. I commend your queen for your design - if it is indeed her who is responsible." At that, she laughed and quietly ignored You's attempts at enforcing unnecessary tact. "Worry not - I have no plans at this time to cause trouble."

She looked around to the other inhabitants on the streets, and their establishments. Anywhere interesting to go to...?

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »
Zeke

Something suddenly caught his attention, and his eyes literally glowed red as if they were laser beams. He smiled from ear to ear before dashing to the left, and in a heartbeat he hurried by the shop's door and opened it like a prince charming. He bowed respectfully like a knight.

"You should be careful. It'd be no good if something so cute would get damaged."