Author Topic: Cross Effects- The RP  (Read 182736 times)

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects- The RP
« Reply #1305 on: January 08, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »
Valda

This environment was full of wood, greenery, sunlight and water. Valda was glad for that light, as it made purchasing a new set of pants unnecessary due to the drying effects of the warmth. She could have done this herself readily enough, but that would have been a waste of precious mana for the purpose of dry cleaning.

If she had a more stable source of mana... her eyes gave Luka another look over, and then did the same to clusters of naturally growing wooden pillars, and she contemplated the prospect of utilizing such a place to

extract

what she desired from him. Plus entertainment value that would leave them flush with desirable hormonal responses. Yes, the idea was pleasing. Perhaps the skeletal creature's enthusiasm was not entirely misplaced when it revealed this place to them.

Valda grabbed Luka's hand and squeezed. "I believe a journey through the park will be... pleasant. Lead on."

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 09, 2014, 12:42:30 AM »
Monsters of Ruin
Summoning Circle 1

The beasts seeing their former ally killed roared in rage and charged the thing now feeding their claws sharp as a sword they weren't about to let this thing get away with what it had done.

Of course this was their thought pattern right before they were swarmed with bullets from multiple sides, despite how tough they may be not even could withstand such a relentless assault.

Downy Reed
Summoning Circle 1

Things had gotten a little too hectic for Downy's liking, he preferred to at least keep things under his control to a small degree, but with a flash he had disappeared once again, the bullets that were destined for his head now passing through the air and into the beasts he had so easily abandoned.

'Best to split these people up before they get a chance to negotiate an alliance. Imnity! Send the order to Mudou and Lobellia, tell them to intercept the two at the summoning circle while you will meet up with me as we deal with the new ones, Shezar will focus on defense guarding the other two circles with all of his being!'

'Of course Master.'

Just a moment more and he had arrived onto the same rooftop as these new folks, remaining hidden inside the in-between of dimensions, Downy could tell there were quite a few of them up there, though he couldn't make out the exact number it would be risky even for him to attack alone.

Imnity
The Inbetween

Relaying the commands she had just received from Downy via telepathic summoning, she herself was away.  Calculating Downy's position was simple, he simply remained in hiding nearby the large force of magical beings. Dealing with them should be simple enough she thought, they would all fall to just a few of her mighty attacks.

A bright flash of light and she was directly above the group high in the sky, using her magic to levitate into the air she casted one of her favorite summoning spells.

"!מטאור"

A massive ball of fire and molten rock emerged directly below her and headed straight towards the group on the rooftop, she intended to utterly decimate the group before they had a chance to react.

Lobellia and Mudou
On Route to Summoning Circle 1

"So the General wants us to deal with these fools? Fine they shall be quickly eliminated."

"Yeah yeah I just hope they don't bore me like the rest of these worlds, I'm getting damn tired of all this crap!"

The two figures rushed from building to building jumping with the utmost of speed and style, for the smaller one she propelled herself with the bones of the dead while the much larger figure simply glided with ease.

They passed the other two circles leaving them in Shezar's care and headed straight for the burnt out core of the first.

It was only a moment more before they arrived from above, the sounds of gunfire and the screams of the monsters taking the hits could be clearly heard.

"It's been too long, I'm going to start this!"

Despite yelling that to his partner Mudou grabbed his sword and jumped from the ruined building above aiming straight toward the prettier of the two.

'The idiot he really shouldn't of done that, fine I suppose I will have to help him somehow.'

"!עצם מקלחת"

Lobellia then proceeded to follow Mudou charge with a shower of sharpened bones, being careful not to hit Mudou she aimed her attack toward the second of the two her blood-red sword at the ready in case of any surprises.

Undead Behemoth
Main Circle

The beast took the hit full force body parts and rotting flesh flying everywhere with a heavy burnt smell lingering in the air. It's right arm was now missing but again it's started to reform itself yet at a slower rate than before. Grabbing some rubble lying on the ground with it's good left hand the monster chucked it straight at the robot.

Shezar the Assassin's Blade
On route to Circle's 2 and 3

'Finally away from that large idiot, I was afraid I couldn't take much more of him. Ah well now getting back to what I do best.'

As fast and silent as could be Shezar was quickly hopping from building to building his aim the other two circles glowing in the day, it was at that point he noticed a figure in the distance heading straight towards him.

'An interruption? Fine they may very well be a threat so I shall deal with them first.'

Changing directions he quickly prepared for combat his body heading straight towards the figure.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: January 09, 2014, 01:51:23 AM »
Luka

"Wow... I know it's just a park, but seeing green again feels a bit strange in this place, when everything else is stone and metal." Still, the boy visibly relaxed as he saw the flowers and smelled the scent of nature, which had been so faint before. He didn't really understand the first thing about climate change, eradication of rainforests, or the encroachment of humanity upon the wild, but the feeling of wrongness that had been disturbing both him and the spirits since they'd woken up dissipated as they neared the park, if only slightly. Bonesington, though, seemed abnormally excited by a few trees and some grass. Perhaps the lich knew something Luka didn't?

With a giggle, Sylph materialized on the wind and flew off, flying between the trees and dancing on the tops of the green leaves. Undine reformed using the moisture hanging in the air and made her way to the river with only a cursory goodbye, while Gnome knelt near the roots of a particularly large tree and dug her fingers into the dirt that her body was made of. As for Salamander, she remained in Luka's head, strangely unmoved by the sight. Ever since the bakery, she'd been quieter and quieter, as if deep in thought about something, and the park had no appeal for her.

"I believe a journey through the park will be... pleasant. Lead on."

"A-alright. Follow me," Luka said. He closed his eyes and extended his senses for a moment, searching the park for the perfect place to go. After a moment, he opened them again. "There's a nice trail this way, Valda." As for their other companion... "Mr. Bones, would you mind checking out that building across the bridge? I think there used to be some holy power there, although it's mostly gone, and I'm not really a very good investigator compared to someone as experienced as you. We can explore the woods a bit. I think there's a clearing with some ambient mana further in."

It was true, though Luka felt a pang of guilt knowing that his motives weren't purely honourable. The fact of the matter was that he needed to speak to the sealed goddess in private. Though he was certain that the lich meant no harm, some part of the boy's mind (or perhaps a tiny bit of meddling from his resident spirits) told him that there were certain things which could only be spoken of in private.

He spared Valda a glance. She'd eaten several times more than him at the bakery, yet she didn't appear the least bit satiated. Though she held herself with composure that would put kings to shame, a deeper hunger was visible in her dark brown eyes.  Even the mana potion hadn't helped. For the first time, Luka wondered if her hunger wasn't that of a human. Well, that was something he could ask her once they were alone. Perhaps in the relaxing atmosphere of the park, he could learn a bit more about Valda Becker.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 09, 2014, 03:09:07 AM »
*RAUL*

The source of the Reptilians was easy enough to determine - levels of Aether were rising as he approached a certain area of the city. Enough Aether was in the air for him to actually siphon some off to replenish his own supplies, yet he couldn't sense any Infrastructure providing it. Strange.

Another figure was racing across the rooftops, closing in on him. Raul noted it wasn't an Angel, yet...

It sent shivers down his Cover's spine. Raul prepared to shed his Cover as he approached the figure as well. If push came to shove, he'd rather be in his Demonic form than his Cover body, especially with something moving so fast.

*HENDERSON*

The furry that had attempted to carjack him having been roasted by his improvised anti-carjacking flamethrower, Henderson cruised away from the laser light show, towards the Party Castle.

"Rupert, are you ready to get funky?"

"..."

"Damn straight you are." Henderson took another hit off the Necronomiblunt as he executed a perfect three point turn and seemlessly merged with traffic. The night was still young, and he hadn't been to a party since that one thing in the gym.

Besides, lawn gnomes loved Party Castles.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:13 AM »
There was a fact about Sir Bonesington that usually came as a bit of a shock to people who had just gotten to know him. And that was that he liked plants. No, he did not like plants, he loved plants. He loved gardening and farming; he appreciated the sweet scent of flowers in blossom; the buzzing of the bees as they flied to collect the nectar; to see the growth of lettuce and cabbages slowly over time; and to collect beautiful and mature fruits when the time such arrived; and he delighted in the harvest of the grapes to make the fine wine he so enjoyed.

Yes, he did love such things. Which was why finding such a rich green spot right in the middle of Nexus City had been nothing but a blessing for him. Ahh, come for the adventure, stay for the nature, he thought as he inhaled the delicate scene of a lively pink orchid among a number of them.

How ironic.

"Mr. Bones, would you mind checking out that building across the bridge? I think there used to be some holy power there, although it's mostly gone, and I'm not really a very good investigator compared to someone as experienced as you. We can explore the woods a bit. I think there's a clearing with some ambient mana further in."

Bonesington turned his attention away from the flowers for a moment to listen to Luka. Hearing his words, he expanded his senses to note that yes, there was in fact a clearing with some significant ambient mana further in the park, although he couldn't sense anything in the direction of the building... yet.

He almost had to contain a shudder at the thought of holy power. Too much of that was bad for his bones. Nonetheless, seeing the logic in Luka's request, he nodded in confirmation.

"Alrightie. Time to get the rust off of my magical crime scene investigator skills! I'll go there then, so if you two need any help in the meanwhile, just shout. Or yell at my mind directly with a telepathic warning. Ta ta, and have fun exploring your side. I shall notify you in case I find a dungeon or loot to split."
He said, before turning to the bridge and starting to float over that way, following the path.

He absentmindedly wondered if Luka was going to be okay, what with the increasingly ravenous shine in Valda's eyes.

... he's young, he can handle it!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:42:34 AM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: January 09, 2014, 04:53:31 AM »
Marius

Lucidity returned as the hunger was satisfied, his eye sockets losing their red glow... just in time for the first of the monsters to drive a sword into the bulk of its deceased comrade in his arms. The worn and corroded remnants of his lorica kept the weapon from actually reaching his body after the loss of momentum caused by the corpse. With that to jar him into awareness all concerns about the situation he found himself in were put aside. The strange architecture that made up the battlefield he found himself in, the presence of another of his own kind nearby and holding a very strangely shaped spatha blade in hand, and the foreign tongues he was hearing in the distance and had faintly overheard through the haze of his rage would all be addressed later.

Alas, lonely cadaver, the fate of the vanquished is naught but woe and being thrown at your former comrades like a limp and heavy battering ram. Just in time too, as the strange projectile weapons tore into them and they were left with no balance to avoid them.

He immediately reached to his side for a weapon, but he had no such thing.

A curse would have escaped his throat if he didn't have what felt like several centuries' worth of dirt trapped in his lungs. All he could do now was leap for cover after seeing the brutal efficiency of the projectiles arrayed against them.

--------------------------------------

Valda

Valda's eyes wandered to the wooden pillars- trees, damn it, she had the background to identify them by name.

Anyway, she could admit to herself that she would enjoy burning all the wood and leaves and grass if she had the mana to spare for that. But she didn't, so she didn't do it, and besides she had promised to help Luka get home and she couldn't do that if she burned him to death and that would be bad. Breaking that promise would be hypocrisy on her part, and she was not a hypocrite. Mostly.

She was a lawyer, so there had to be a little leeway there, but aside from the requisite amount necessary to be a lawyer she was not a hypocrite.

Once the skeleton was gone, Valda focused on the road ahead of them and allowed Luka to pull her along the well worn trail of dirt and tree roots, and was once again glad she did not wear shoes with too high of a heel.

Not much further now before opportunity presented itself... and they were somewhere that wasn't full of uncomfortable roots. She had a minimum standard of comfort and she wasn't starving enough to get past that right now, even if the mana just seemed to seep out of Luka's lean, neatly compact and wonderfully symmetrical frame to tantalize her. She could almost smell it, a form of synesthesia that her limited mortal perceptions made us of to represent a sense that it did not properly possess. It smelled... very Luka-y. Luka-ish.

She required a new adjective to describe it properly, perhaps.

"How much further are we going?"

No, she wasn't being impatient, she would insist if asked. Valda pushed a lock of her blonde hair back behind her ear though, in what might have been a nervous tic back before her memories were properly awakened.

-----------------------

'Rose'

It was busy even during the day in this house of vice and decadence; every those who couldn't fit into the building wanted to be patrons of the Pricking Pickle Cornerclub. Which was really strange, because Rose had been under the impression that most bars (who had decided to call it a cornerclub? what precisely was a cornerclub?) saw the majority of their business after this realm's sun set. Strange inconsistencies, these mortals had, but who was she to neglect their needs? They kept coming, just to see her and allow her to ply them with drink, and all was well in the house of merriment!

It was not even a very large building she was working with; it wasn't even larger on the inside than the outside, like a proper place. These strange spatial limits were quite, well, limiting in their way even if they were fascinating.

She shook her head and finished cleaning the glass like she'd seen the previous owner of the place do at one point.

The patrons watched her glorious red hair move in time with her motions, and she knew exactly what it was doing to them. Good! Let them see it and jockey for the limited positions at the bar close to her. It was all like holding court back home, and she had much favor to share with those who were willing to amuse her with their efforts.

Maybe when the evening was done she'd see what the victors' livers tasted like after being marinated in so many spirits. Especially the wine-filled ones.

Her tattered mantle gave a faint hum of approval at the thought, unheard over the dim of the afternoon crowd.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:31:45 PM by Aiden »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: January 09, 2014, 05:16:48 AM »
Kiyoshi grew angrier and angrier as Satoshi completely ignored his question, instead talking with his family. He became angrier still when the older Aunty Rin turned to him and told him to take Taiga upstairs for a "meeting". Neither he nor Tsukasa had even acknowledged Kiyoshi, let alone responded, and now they were heading upstairs.

What the hell is wrong with them? He threatens my mummy and doesn't even try to explain himself.

As far as Kiyoshi was concerned, his actions were just proof of guilt. He stiffened and prepared to attack the man who had threatened his mother, but before he could the younger Aunty Rin bent down before him.

"Kiyoshi, what Shuya here said was true. He threatened to kidnap and kill your mother over the phone to lure Rider there to fight him", she said.

Kiyoshi was shaking with anger now.

He did what?

He moved his hands impatiently, waiting for Aunty Rin to move so he could kill the bastard for what he'd done. But, instead, she continued speaking.

"Listen to me, Kiyoshi. I want you to be a big, strong young man for me and do me a favor. For my sake and that of your mother and my sister. Let Aunty Rin and Uncle Archer handle this guy, I want you to go get either Forest or Lancer. It's your choice, but I want you to bring back one of them as fast as you can. Can you do that for me?" she said.

Kiyoshi was still livid, but he understood that Aunty Rin wanted him to go and get help, and that she was better-placed to deal with this than he was. Unfortunately, though, he didn't actually know where either of them had gone....

He decided to ask Aunty Rin, but she had already moved on to address other people.

"Your big brother's more of a 'bad guy' than Shuya here, I can tell you that. And even then, at least Shuya has the decency to be somewhat open about his 'bad guy' tendencies. I'd certainly trust him more", she said, talking to Taiga.

Kiyoshi frowned. Whilst he was very angry with Satoshi, Aunty Rin seemed to be being rather more complimentary than she'd like about Shuya. Her next statement, though, was one he fully agreed with.

"Nothing to say to the boy who's mother you threatened at all? I wasn't quite sure of it before, but I know it now. You really are a monster. The taint you bear now hardly changes anything. And I think I'm more than intelligent enough to know a threat when I see one, thanks", she said.

Kiyoshi was livid at Satoshi's refusal to even acknowledge him. He was supposedly Kiyoshi's brother, and not only did he apparently threaten to murder his mother in cold blood to get at Aunty Rider, he didn't even have the decency to answer the accusations.

Then, Rin turned to the group and, charging her Gandr, shouted "Hold it right there!"

In response, though, the elder Rin made a snap decision that they were going to leave.

What the hell?

Kiyoshi was angry beyond belief. His elder Aunt had only been here five minutes, and now she was decreeing that his new-found family would have to leave. He could see the sad look in Tsukasa and Taiga's eyes but, nevertheless, they obeyed, for some reason. Tears welled up in his eyes.

And Satoshi had still not given him a response. He was no longer prepared to wait.

"I want a damn answer, Satoshi. Why the hell did you threaten my mother? I will not just let you walk away without giving a damn good reason", he said, waving his swords around angrily.

Then, he turned to the others. He really didn't want them to just leave like this, especially not Tsukasa.

"As for you, Aunty Rin, what is wrong with you? You only arrived five minutes ago and now you're ordering all my new family to leave against their will without even a proper goodbye. Nice Aunty Rin would never do that to me...", he shouted, the sadness clear in his voice.

Then, he turned to Tsukasa, looking at her pleadingly.

"Please don't go, Tsukasa-nee, you're nice and kind and like mummy. I want to get to know you better...", he said, sniffing somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:20:46 AM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:26 AM »
Satoshi shook his head " Tsukasa, evac." he said

in a split second Taiga, Connor, Rin and Tsukasa were swallowed up and disappeared into the shadow teleport.

"I did Kiyoshi, but I wasn't about to discuss this sort of thing in front of my sister. Rin knew that and took charge, I suspect she had another reason for doing as she did as well. Although to be honest I dunno what that is. The full explanation of the situation is quite long. Satoshi said pausing.

"You have a right to know about the whole situation Kiyoshi but for the moment I'll answer your immediate concern. The short answer is I needed to fight Rider at full power to burn away mana, so I bluffed to make sure she wouldn't pull her punches. Ask Rider yourself if you don't believe me Kiyoshi, she's just fine, right?" Satoshi explained.

"As for my other threats guys, all bluffs. In two thousand years I only ever took one life. And I resurrected him and gave him back his dead girlfriend so I'd say we're even. I have been through many wars but I am a doctor, not a soldier. I find death abhorrent. I do however acknowledge that bluffing is good tactics. As long as no one is hurt I think such misdirection is fair game. So Rin, Archer, Kiyoshi. Have I harmed a hair on anyone's head?" Satoshi finished.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Rider noticed Forest scowling at her laughter, and felt a little guilty.

"Sorry Forest, the way you were acting was just amusing", she said, desperately trying to contain her laughter.

She also heard Forest's words about Kiyoshi, but before she could say anything, Jack spoke up.

"I'm rather hard to kill. There's a woman a lot like you who can attest to that."

Eh, what is he talking about, a woman like me?

"And I am likewise difficult to kill. I have no desire to fight, but if I must I am sure I could take you down, especially if my family is at sake", she said.

"And keep that kid on a leash. There's things that if he did threaten 'em would kill him without a second thought. Too many of them in this city."

Rider nodded. His words were all-too-true. This place was dangerous for Kiyoshi, and his actions so far had not helped ensure his safety at all. He continued to talk, addressing the two "vampires" in the room to discuss his "vampire business".

"Vampire business. If you ever, ever, hear some vampire asking you to do something for the Deacon, or join his flock, refuse, or make sure you know what the fuck you're getting into. Deacon Frost has a stranglehold on a lot of the bloodsuckers in the city, and a load of fanatics who think he's god. Rumor has it he can walk in sunlight, and a bunch of other bullshit. Oh, and the blocks around 43rd and Yossarian? My turf. Feed on anyone there without my permission, and you will end up in the gutter missing fangs. Understand?"

Rider laughed. Walking in sunlight was not something she considered a particularly great thing, although she was aware that, for a vampire, it was rather unusual.

"Hah, that guy doesn't impress me, I have no issue with sunlight.

Don't worry, I have no intention of joining that asshole, or doing anything he asks of me. My loyalty is and always will be to my master, and the fact that some vampire has extra-strong sunblock or something won't change that. And, don't worry about the feeding, either. Satoshi will provide me with as much prana as I need until my master arrives and I can draw on her power once more, so I no longer have any need to attack people, schoolgirls or otherwise.

As for Kiyoshi, I am well aware of the danger his actions pose, but I cannot control his emotions. He's always wanted to be a hero, and he wants to protect his family.

He's not used to this sort of world, or to dealing with truly dangerous enemies on his own. There are dangerous things in our world, of course, but they're hidden, and far less active. Kiyoshi is aware of them, of course, but his parents keep him well away from anything that can truly harm him.

But, now, he's suddenly been thrown into this strange world, and his parents aren't here to protect and comfort him. He's scared and lonely, and he misses his family, but he also sees a chance to actually be a hero for once, without his parents here to stop him. So, when he does find some new 'family' here, he protects them with everything he has. Nothing I say to him is going to change that. Even his mother can't persuade him to be more cautious, and he loves her more than anything in the world", she said.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:31:27 PM by Cherry Lover »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: January 09, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
"And I am likewise difficult to kill. I have no desire to fight, but if I must I am sure I could take you down, especially if my family is at stake", she said.

Rider laughed. Walking in sunlight was not something she considered a particularly great thing, although she was aware that, for a vampire, it was rather unusual.

"Hah, that guy doesn't impress me, I have no issue with sunlight.

Don't worry, I have no intention of joining that asshole, or doing anything he asks of me. My loyalty is and always will be to my master, and the fact that some vampire has extra-strong sunblock or something won't change that. And, don't worry about the feeding, either. Satoshi will provide me with as much prana as I need until my master arrives and I can draw on her power once more, so I no longer have any need to attack people, schoolgirls or otherwise.

As for Kiyoshi, I am well aware of the danger his actions pose, but I cannot control his emotions. He's always wanted to be a hero, and he wants to protect his family.

He's not used to this sort of world, or to dealing with truly dangerous enemies on his own. There are dangerous things in our world, of course, but they're hidden, and far less active. Kiyoshi is aware of them, of course, but his parents keep him well away from anything that can truly harm him.

But, now, he's suddenly been thrown into this strange world, and his parents aren't here to protect and comfort him. He's scared and lonely, and he misses his family, but he also sees a chance to actually be a hero for once, without his parents here to stop him. So, when he does find some new 'family' here, he protects them with everything he has. Nothing I say to him is going to change that. Even his mother can't persuade him to be more cautious, and he loves her more than anything in the world", she said.
So Apostles could walk in the sun? That... was not a comforting thought. That they seemingly didn't consider themselves vampires was concerning as well. Chumps no more apparently, except for the master bit. They needed a master to survive, without attacking anyone. Interesting.

"I have no intent to target you and yours. But if you break my rules... you will never see it coming. I can promise you that. And that kid seems on the fast track to an early death. No offense."

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 10, 2014, 02:56:52 AM »
"Not much longer. We're almost there."

The thin trail opened up into an atypical clearing about with a diameter about as large as the length of one of those horseless carriages (cars) that Luka had seen in the city. Unlike the rest of the park, the trees were dense around the clearing, enough to block out any sight from outside,  with only the trail serving as an opening. The clearing itself had unmistakably been the sight of a strange event. The grass was burnt and blackened, crumbling under Luka's step, and the center bore faint marks of what might have once been a magic circle.

Once they stepped inside, Luka released Valda's hand to kneel down and inspect the circle. Apart from the ash and burnt grass, he couldn't make any sense of it. In his haste to enact his fairly unimaginative plan, Luka had forgotten that he himself was almost clueless when it came to magic. "Well, um, this is it," he said, standing slowly and turning to face Valda. "As you can see, it's obvious that, uh," waving his hands around as if he knew what he was doing, Luka tried to explain. "Well, a highly complicated... something took place here. I think. Maybe."

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 10, 2014, 03:18:01 AM »
Valda took a deep breath of the air, filled with faint traces of inaccessible mana. It teased her, not being able to draw it in properly on her own. She needed permission, and she could not get it from inanimate air. Oh, certainly, if there had been a spirit of air around to ask whether she could draw it into herself. The earth gave her the same frustration once the two of them got closer to the circle. And ah, the glorious scent of her essence scorching away the flammable greenery... or at least, the aftermath of it.

Truly, this place existed to make her forget any sense of satisfaction and drive her forward.

Forward she went, kneeling down behind her shorter companion so that she could wrap her arms around him slowly. Valda rested her chin on his right shoulder, pressing comfortably into his back and spreading a comfortable feeling of warmth into him. And she observed as he observed, a little smirk on her face. "It looks like a summoning circle, Luka. Someone called something fiery from somewhere, or else tried to bring forth something else and failed."

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:07 AM »
Tom continued to glare at the two conversing vampires (well, as far as he could tell at least), a bit miffed that he was being almost entirely ignored like any self respecting feline would. No cat took kindly to being blown off when they were putting such effort into being threatening, after all, silken pajamas and glasses or no.

He took Forest's offered hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. Shall we continue upstairs? It seems these two are mostly done with us. Though I could evict them from your office if you would like.

Quote from: Lancer
Lancer stared at Millie and said, "So?"

He rolled his shoulders, cracking his neck as he did.  He stretched and said, "So what?  From what I've heard about the Association they can go fuck themselves.  The question is, do you respect yourself?  Are you happy with this?"

"If you're not having fun, then why bother?"

She froze at that. Unconsciously, the vulnerable girl beneath all the armor began showing herself again. She didn't remember the last time she'd been happy. She remembered toiling endlessly to try to make herself worthy, to the point where some days she'd get herself sick from overworking, but she kept going anyway, because she had to prove them wrong.

She had to prove them wrong. And so long had she worked that the days where she'd reveled in magecraft for its own sake seemed like a distant dream.

Three generations? Hah! Some American? Are you kidding, she'll never be anything with that!

Come on, give her some credit. Once she hits puberty she'll be good breeding stock anyway.

I guess you're right. She's got good circuits anyway, from what I hear, so she'll be good enough to marry into one of the major families maybe. She'll be good for producing strong children at least.

The words that had haunted her for years. The words that she had heard echoed in other ways all throughout the Clock Tower. The words she'd toiled ten years to try to forget.

But no matter how hard she tried, it never seemed good enough.

And so her heart had grown bitter, her eyes turning green with jealousy towards those like Rin who had heard just as much as she had heard. And thus she hid herself away in isolation, searching for miracles where no one could see her create them.

She didn't notice that she was crying. She just felt numb. Numb as the waste that had been ten years of her life hit her like a tidal wave.

"I... I don't know."

The door opened and closed as Ruby made her way inside. But even the often heartless staff kept quiet, remaining unnoticed. Some moments were best served with silence. 

Rin glowered at Satoshi. "How is any of that an excuse. You still threatened someone for a petty reason. Why couldn'tve you just, I don't know, asked nicely?! Plus to do that to someone you hardly know, no less. The fact that Rider sounded happy enough when she came back means that this time it was just a bluff, but what about next time? You say all that garbage about how old you are and how great you are and how you haven't harmed everyone, but what evidence is there of any of that? You're expecting us to believe that on faith alone, and what I've seen of you thus far makes me very much inclined to believe you're just lying through your teeth."

She gestred back towards Kiyoshi. "You think that's enough of a justification to threaten this boy's mother, and my own sister?! It's not. And I swear to God, I don't care how special or overpowered you are, but if you try to harm a hair on her head, or even dare to threaten her again, I swear I'll make you regret it. You've made Kiyoshi cry enough tonight, and I'll do my best to make sure you never make him cry again."

She stepped forward. "And that goes for Archer too. I may not technically be as strong as he is, but I won't let you get away with hurting him either. That's why I refuse to let you speak to him alone on a rooftop where no one else can hear you." For some reason, she had the sudden urge to start sobbing with her next words. Valiantly, she fought the urge back as she spoke. "I already lost him once. I'll be damned if I lose him again. Especially to the hands of someone like you."

She narrowed her eyes. "Now I know for a fact that no one would use the Second magic for petty reasons. There's something in that black trunk that could hurt us all, isn't there? You and my so called older self are planning something, aren't you. Start talking!"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:27:19 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Elf

• Mistress of Porn
  • Moon Cancer
  • Mistress of Porn
    • View Profile
    • The Law Unto Herself Chronicles: A JukePop Serial
« Reply #1318 on: January 10, 2014, 04:58:33 AM »
"Of course he would have reinforcements," Angel said with a sigh as he took to defend himself from the two people going to attack them.

The violet eyed sex offense smiled, grabbed Angel's arm, and said, "I have a trick or two up my sleeve."  Before Angel could even protest, there was a gentle roar in his ears as the world around him shifted, as if he had walked into another room.  Blinking, the vampire with a soul looked around at the alien environment that stretched out around him.

Deep blues, violets, grays, black, and flashes of dark red flickered around them, ever changing but the color scheme staying the same.  Angel could make out familiar shapes in the weird semidarkness as he noticed that his companion's fair skin was glowing, as if moonlight had been trapped beneath it.  Those violet eyes, now glowing as well, met Angel's and Angel stared.

He had the urge to grab his charcoals and capture the man's unearthly beauty.  The thing of it was Angel hadn't drawn anything in years, not since Connor, not since Wolfram and Hart, and certainly not since Twilight.  There had been a few moments, with Buffy, when they created that new reality together, where he had been inspired again.  He wanted to capture that sheer happiness on her face, the delight in those green eyes.  She had even talked him out of staying in that perfect reality together.

Then she had told him that he just wasn't the love of her life, that he was the person she wanted to spend it with.

And he had ruined all of that. 

Even after resurrecting him, Rupert Giles' death was still on his head.

He shook the thought off as he noticed that his gorgeous companion was still holding his arm and leading him through the shadows.

"There are three more circles to disarm before tackling the main one.  If I miscalculate these things could go off in a tragedy that made Hiroshima and Nagasaki look paltry in comparison," the glowing man said.

Angel nodded, sighed, and said, "Yeah, that takes priority over the fanged gang back there and the melodramatic wizard's back up."

"I'm glad you see that.  By and by, my name is Gabriel, Gabriel Umbra," he said, shaking Angel's arm.

Angel blinked and replied, "Angel."

"Vampire?" Gabriel asked.

Angel blinked again, frowned, and said, "Yeah, but I'm not evil.  I have a soul."  After a moment he asked, "How did you know?"

"No last name, reckless heroics and little regard to personal safety.  You remind me of my Godmother," Gabriel answered with a grin.

Angel asked, "Godmother?"

"What else would a Faerie have as a godmother other than a vampire?"

Forest frowned as she saw Jack's memories.  She could sympathize.  There was a myriad of reasons why she called her sire "that Roman Bastard".

She held up her hand to Jack and said, "Woah, woah, Rider's not a vampire.  She's a Servant.  Which is something complicated, spiritual, magical, and possibly involving the Holy Grail.  By that point when Lancer explained it to me he kept ranting on about corrupted priests and cheating assholes."

She eyed Rider and said, "And you're Kiyoshi's guardian there.  Look, I know its hard when they don't listen, but sometimes you have to let kids make mistakes.  If they don't, they'll never learn, and when that happens you have to be there to pull them out of the fire.  Plus, he does seem just a tad bit spoiled.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but . . . "

Then she looked back at Jack, smirked, and said, "Oh, I know all about Deacon Frost.  I'm a bloody thorn in his side.  I'm Law Unto Herself after all."

If he hadn't heard of Law Unto Herself, I might be a little hurt, she sent Tom, who was looking a bit millfed about no one was paying attention to him.   She admitted he really did look like a cat there as he squeezed her hand.

Shall we continue upstairs? It seems these two are mostly done with us. Though I could evict them from your office if you would like.

She grinned at his offer and said to Jack and Rider, "Look, we need to go back up stairs and tell Lancer that I'm okay, Finn's sleeping it off, and see if some other place in my house got blown up.  Think the two of you can behave?"

Lancer sighed at Millie's answer and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Look Lass, at the end of the day, the person's opinions who matter are yours and those you love.  You did well today, with your circle.  Even Scathach would have been impressed, well as much as she could be, with your talent with ruins," Lancer told her.

He gave her shoulder a friendly squeeze and said, "Live for yourself and those who you care about.  Everyone else can fuck themselves."

Archer tried not to laugh as the eleven year old boy brandished poor replicas of Kansho and Baykura.  He resisted the urge not to show the boy how to really create swords as Kiyoshi made his pleas and his threats.  Then to make matters even more amusing the elder Rin was bugging out because apparently the rest of that clan couldn't stand the heat.

Then Satoshi opened his mouth and served a lovely pack of lies that made Archer's Rin completely livid.

With good reason.

He stood back as Rin had her tirade at him, then blinked as she said, "I already lost him once. I'll be damned if I lose him again. Especially to the hands of someone like you."

Archer knew that train of thought all too well.  After all, he thought it every time she had been in danger since he found her again.  He walked up to her and placed his hands on her shoulders.  Archer eyed the corrupted young man and said, "Well, is there something nefarious in your 'aunt' Rin's box?"

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 10, 2014, 07:41:33 PM »
Valda's embrace was so measured and gentle that Luka barely noticed it until her arms were around his body and she rested on his back, her breath tickling his ear as she spoke of portals and magic and things that he suddenly had a great deal of trouble focusing on. The world seemed empty and lifeless, but he was almost painfully aware of her warmth wrapped around him, chasing the cold away with her very presence. When she spoke his name casually, he couldn't help but shudder. She was a bit close, wasn't she? Too close for comfort, for sure. Yet...

This was just an otherworldly custom, the young man told himself. Women of Valda's world were probably much more casual about physical contact than those of his. Or perhaps as a goddess she had no idea of human customs. Yes, that had to be it.

"W-well, I was thinking," he began, voice slightly hoarse for no reason at all. "You could absorb some of the mana left over from the summoning, if you n-need it." Luka was a hero who had defeated countless opponents, yet this strange woman from another world made him feel like he was at Level 1 again. He'd called Valda here for something. A question about how she had been sealed, so that he could learn more about her. Yet with each passing second, that goal seemed less and less important. It could wait, he told himself.

The spirits had gone, and Salamander was silent, with only her heavy breaths to remind Luka of her presence in his mind. Ever her mental flames, however, felt like a cool breeze now.

It was warm now. So, so warm.