Author Topic: Cross Effects- The RP  (Read 183088 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Effects- The RP
« Reply #900 on: December 19, 2013, 04:33:35 AM »
Henderson munched on a bismark as he watched the proceedings. He'd had a few mana potions before.

The next day he'd ended up in Tijuana buck ass naked, handcuffed to a horse. Man, that had been one weird ass night.

"Skeleton Man, those things safe? I've had some baaaad trips on that muckled dreck before. Makes ya see weird things, or at least that's what the aliens said as they were probing me."

That night had been really really weird.

"And my gnomes couldn't have wandered off disembodied voice number 4. They don't have bipedal mobility, I haven't gotten around to finding one with that function yet. Fookin scientists putting fluorine in the water instead of making lawn gnomes walk. Rupert told me, he's got sources in the NSA, CSI, KGB, and MIB."

A bit of the raspberry filling stained the edge of Henderson's mouth as he continued to devour his sweet prizes.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 19, 2013, 04:43:13 AM »
It was slightly shocking how quickly Valda's composure had broken as soon as the skeleton man had brought out the collection of trinkets. She quickly let go of Luka's hand, grabbing for the necklace that promised some sort of mana regeneration and trying it on like a starving person being given water. Her disappointment was just as strange.

"Well, don't worry about it, Miss Valda," he said. "Maybe it's broken or something. Here, let me."

It wasn't broken. As soon as he put on the trinket, he felt his body become stronger. The world was suddenly lighter on his shoulders, and the power that normally welled up from inside him had turned from a stream into a river that threatened to burst its dam.

"This... this is definitely an adventurer's necklace."

"Very high quality, too," Undine said. "Those used to be more common around the 6th Monster Lord's era, when the humans had access to powerful magic and enchantments. Her successor, the 7th, hunted down the holy artefacts and destroyed them in retaliation, and most of them were lost."

"A good thing, I'd say," Salamander said. "Future Heroes had to depend more on their own training and skill because of it. They were stronger without those things in the end, and so are you. I mean, you've been using the same equipment since Part One, and that was more than enough!"

"But... health regeneration... performance increase!"

"You don't need it. Alice loves you just the way you are, and your performance isn't part of it."

"Aw..."

Luka reluctantly took off the necklace. "This is a great gift, but I don't think either of us will find much use for it, sir."

The blue mana potion, on the other hand...

"Nope, it's useless for you," the flame spirit said. "You don't really use much mana in the first place, just your own stamina. Besides, you've got a huge amount of mana just in your body, which is much more than that little thing can give you. This is without mentioning the boost you get from having contracts with us."

"She's got none, though," Sylph said, having finally dug her way out of the ground. "None! Nooooone! Not a bit! Running on empty! Even less than a normal human!"

"And she really wants it for some reason..." The gears were beginning to turn in Luka's head, albeit slowly. "But what could she want with mana? She seems to be just fine now even without it..."

"You'll figure it out eventually." Undine disguised her own lack of knowledge as mysterious mentor advice. "Ignore the potion, it's harmless. For now just pay attention. This skeleton is interesting."

"I think it's safe, Miss Valda," Luka said. "That potion... it's saturated with mana, but there's nothing dangerous about it. At least, nothing that would lead to seeing things."

Unbeknownst to Henderson, almost half a pound of dirt that had been caked onto his body and clothes had gathered on his table. Slowly, the dirt came together and morphed into miniature mud girls, who started marching in circles waving their arms around. Gnome saved the last bit of dirt to form a miniature replica of herself in the center, looking at the insane man with something approaching interest. Perhaps it was the allure of the mystical puns, or his insistence on using her name to describe something of his, but she felt a certain attachment to the old man.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 19, 2013, 04:50:01 AM »
Unbeknownst to Henderson, almost half a pound of dirt that had been caked onto his body and clothes had gathered on his table. Slowly, the dirt came together and morphed into miniature mud girls, who started marching in circles waving their arms around. Gnome saved the last bit of dirt to form a miniature replica of herself in the center, looking at the insane man with something approaching interest. Perhaps it was the allure of the mystical puns, or his insistence on using her name to describe something of his, but she felt a certain attachment to the old man.
Henderson nearly choked on his donut. What a trip. Almost like the first time, getting high in the back of his brother's van. That had been some good ass shit, because Henderson didn't even have a brother.

'Nam flashbacks playing in his head, Henderson watched the gnomes dance around his table, transifixed.

"You seeing this too Rupert?"

"..."

"I'll take the silence as a yes. You're a good friend. Never ask for a toke."

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 19, 2013, 05:30:13 AM »
Connor followed along to the bedroom and kept silent.

Sakura heard Forest speak and looked up from her notes. "No Rin? Not surprising given her tendencies in general. Tell her that I am sorry for losing my temper but my little brother, Satoshi is not a murderer nor should he be accused of being worse than them as she did. He's quite the opposite as much as that infuriates me. And I don't care what happened with Archer either. Taiga told me he went dark after meeting her so that means whatever with Archer is a misunderstanding."

Sakura paused her skin looking pale and her face covered in sweat, to say she was a mess would be an understatement even without mentioning the frazzled red mane of hair Sakura currently sported.

"I'm getting off track I...I need to tell you how to defend against Satoshi I" the notepad pitched off the bed and Sakura nearly face planted the bed stopping herself with her elbows.

righting herself Sakura continued. "three major rules apply when facing my little brother. One, surrendering is good, Satoshi is the prince of knights, more than any other title he takes it and his knighthood seriously. Mercy is something he will always grant, it's part of who he is. Two do not threaten death to others, monsters, true honest ones without remorse are fine but humans are off limits. Death is something that hurts my little brother more than anything because he is as strong as he is. Third, never. And I mean never threaten his friends or family. Satoshi will not listen to you until after he's done beating you to within an inch of your life."

she paused again looking all the worse. "Finally, and let me be clear abuse of the thing I'm going to say next will result in seriously terrible consequences so I'm trusting you Forest to use this as a last resort. Invoke the world treaty, the pact my brother made says he has to listen to those who come for peace to Gaia's door step. No matter what or why Satoshi will have to stop and hear your words."

Sakura coughed wheezing as she gave Forest a hard look "I'm trusting you Forest, don't betray his faith in you"

Sakura was dizzy but refused to accept falling asleep.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 19, 2013, 05:51:08 AM »
Quote from: Elf
Archer turned off the water and handed Rin her towel.  "Besides, I can mess with Lancer.  That's always fun."

Rin chuckled a little at that. "Don't go too far with him though. He seems decent enough." She sighed. "I just hope we don't have to run into those people from that one dimension again." She frowned. "Especially 'Sakura'... I don't know what happened to us over there to warp us that much and make us terrible parents, but what a disrespectful bitch..." 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:56:54 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
Sir Bonesington was entertained. He wasn't sure if it was because of the old man's absolutely nonsensical nonsense, the fact that one of the boy's spirits was messing with him, or that it was quite comical to see this superficially very serious woman look so flustered about something, even if she was still somewhat frightening.

Whatever the case, he was in good spirits and offered his answer on the current matter with a joyous ring to his voice.

"Well, if you say you don't need any of the gear... that's fine. The mana potion is absolutely innocuous though, unless you're allergic to condensed, liquified mana, so go ahead and see if that helps you any." he said, casting a look at the woman.

The boy's evaluation of the necklace had spurred his interest a little, too. He certainly reminded him of an adventurer in some way. The old man, on the other hand, felt kind of nostalgic. Good, wacky memories of some of his adventures through time and space fondly coursed through his mind.

"Maybe your gnomes were abducted by a foul wizard that seeks to animate them in a mad scheme to obtain the most fearsome army the world has ever known? Truly, one would have to be vile to steal innocent lawn gnomes like that." he offered, with a pat on the man's shoulder.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:42:02 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 19, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
The blue liquid seemed to sing to her with its promise of relief the moment it was presented to her like this, as a gift. She could not so much as touch it until that permission was given, but now that it had been it was just a matter of taking the top off and pouring it down her throat. She reached her hand out to grasp the glass container, then hesitated.

Why? Was she perhaps intimidated by the thought of something? Was the prospect that this would not work so terrible that she would refuse to even test it for herself? Foolishness; her human self must be getting the better of her.

Valda considered the necklace once again, then the potion, and then Luka. Her composure returned to her despite the spike in her discomforting hunger for resisting this so, and then...

Pop the top. Pour the fluid past her lips in one long, measured series of gulps despite the awful taste it left in her mouth going down. That was all she had to do, and it left her feeling like nothing had changed at all after.

A frown overtook her face, and she looked at the empty bottle to consider the single drop in it that she hadn't been able to get off the bottom. "Do I need to drink... every... drop...?"

That was when the rush of heat came, and she shuddered at that long forgotten sensation. Before she even knew it the grip she had on the glass was too much pressure for it. It broke apart like brittle ice between her fingers; she ignored the many cuts it left behind, and the blood that was dripping out of her clenched fist. "Ha. Haha..."

So much power. All the pain she should feel was seared away by it, and the air began to distort and blur around her with refraction.

Valda ran her tongue over her lips, and grinned.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
Angra nodded "well it will be long in both directions so with that in mind you should go back to Kiyoshi for a bit. Satoshi will meet you there and then you can come back together." she explained

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 19, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »
Sir Bonesington attentively watched the woman's composure restore itself and then finally reach for the offered potion. Something about her hesitance and how suspiciously desperate she seemed to be for a source of mana was bothering him, now that she was taking his final offer.

A shudder went up his frozen spine as she opened the potion and began gulping it down in slow, measured gulps until the bottle was all but empty despite the hint of bitterness in her expression.

Even it did not seem to have any immediate effect, and she frowned at the remaining drop in the flask. Bonesington's own skeletal face contorted at her complaint. He decided it was time to voice his own questions about her before continuing.

Then heat suddenly welled up around her, and Bonesington stretched back, instinctively focusing frost along his body. He gulped at the glass bottle shattering in her hand, and her absolute lack of reaction to the injuries it had caused.

And as the air began to shimmer with the heat, her expression twisted familiarly, she ran her tongue over her lips and she grinned, Sir Bonesington only had enough wit to react by voicing his most honest thoughts on what was happening.

"Oh dear."
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 19, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »
"Oh crap."

It was his honest thought. As Valda began to laugh, and blood seeped from between her fingers, the sinking feeling that had been slowly appearing in his stomach made itself fully known.

He scooted away from her as the air began to shimmer and he felt heat appear almost out of nowhere. The woman once devoid of any magical presence was now burning mana at an almost insane rate, causing the air itself to distort around her from the sheer warmth.

"That's not good. Get away, quick!" Salamander called upon her power to shield Luka from the heat, stopping the distortion from spreading further from Valda's body as the boy scrambled out of his chair. Her voice was tinny, formed out of the vibrations of a part of the heated air Valda was still creating.

"W-what is that?"

"Fire," Salamander grumbled. "As strong as what I can come up with. No, perhaps even more... I'd thought she was powerless, but that potion was exactly what she needed to kick-start that furnace of hers. Let's just hope she doesn't get lost in the feeling and explode."

Valda was grinning now, not even trying to hide the glee she was feeling as power rushed through her.

"M-miss, please calm down," said Luka from behind Mr. Bonesington, his voice very small.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:09:57 PM by Bloble »

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 19, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
Downy Reed
Roof of Apartment Complex

'No effect? There must be some sort of nullification going on then. Fine I'll do this the hard way.'

He reached out his hand a second time as if to repeat the same spell and as soon as his hand was within reach he followed with an attack of his sword as quick as lightning attempting to catch him off-guard.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 19, 2013, 10:32:21 PM »
Sir Bonesington calmly raised a finger to punctuate his words as he tilted over the boy, still giving him vision of the woman while he lowered his head to her eye level.

"Yes, listen to him, it's probably a good idea if we all just cool off a little, here."

As he spoke, he began to focus cold over himself to form his Frost Armor, while simultaneously spreading it and ice around the lady as an added measure to stop her heat from spreading and rising. The boy seemed to have his own resources, as he sensed his spirit halt the spread of power from the woman, which reassured the lich.

Because honestly, a possible extremely powerful sealed... something, that kind of felt like an Old God, except of fire instead of madness, was not who he was expecting to ask a favor of today when he approached her and the boy's table. Nor was it something he was planning on meeting today. Or ever, really. So having at least another powerful individual apart from himself to rely on if push came to shove, which he would honestly rather not happen, was good.

His only other reassurance in this situation was that Zahar had not been dragged here with him, because he would have gone bonkers the moment her presence expanded like it did.

And that most likely she hadn't quite gotten enough power from that mana potion to be able to do anything truly devastating, and she was likely going to burn through whatever power it had given her pretty soon, judging from the rate she was consuming mana at, if she didn't explode first.

Truly, it was only at times like this he regretted he hadn't insisted on learning Drain Mana from his warlock acquaintances.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:34:09 AM by YOLF »

Aiden

• Global Moderator
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 19, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
"Oh crap."

It was his honest thought. As Valda began to laugh, and blood seeped from between her fingers, the sinking feeling that had been slowly appearing in his stomach made itself fully known.

He scooted away from her as the air began to shimmer and he felt heat appear almost out of nowhere. The woman once devoid of any magical presence was now burning mana at an almost insane rate, causing the air itself to distort around her from the sheer warmth.

"That's not good. Get away, quick!" Salamander called upon her power to shield Luka from the heat, stopping the distortion from spreading further from Valda's body as the boy scrambled out of his chair. Her voice was tinny, formed out of the vibrations of a part of the heated air Valda was still creating.

"W-what is that?"

"Fire," Salamander grumbled. "As strong as what I can come up with. No, perhaps even more... I'd thought she was powerless, but that potion was exactly what she needed to kick-start that furnace of hers. Let's just hope she doesn't get lost in the feeling and explode."

Valda was grinning now, not even trying to hide the glee she was feeling as power rushed through her.

"M-miss, please calm down," said Luka from behind Mr. Bonesington, his voice very small.

Calm? Calm? After all this time trapped as a 'normal', feeble human and they expected her to stay calm? She should burn everything, light all the world aflame and reduce all things to fine ash! That would be punishment enough for her imprisonment! That would express her strength and her ire clearly enough to make up for the wretched eons of hunger and misery that man had inflicted on her!

The embers glowing in the air around her almost ignited into an inferno, breaking free of the Salamander's control...

But, then sense came back to her. Luka had been the one to say it. Luka, the one she'd just made a promise to help. She'd promised him, and damn it all, she wouldn't go back on her word like that for anything.

Slowly, the embers waned and died out, and the heat was pulled back into her body. Her skin flushed for a moment as it adjusted to that.

Valda took a deep, cleansing breath. "Excuse me. I lost myself for a moment there," she said, while brushing what looked like ash from her pants and blouse.

And lost a lot of mana, at that. She wasn't completely empty now, but she was certainly feeling it.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 19, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »
...The Imaginary Skeleton Man was possibly right. Wizard cultists assembling a lawn gnome army, of course! That's why they'd stolen his lawn gnomes, the namblies!

"Yes, listen to him, it's probably a good idea if we all just cool off a little, here."

The not disembodied woman had really cranked the heat up. She did need to chill, and Henderson knew the best way to do that.

"Yo, Skeleton bro. I know just the stuff."

Pulling out a blunt, Henderson lit it up and handed it to the woman. "Take a hit, and chill out. This is some prime Alabama Kush. Good stuff."

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 19, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »
"It's okay," Luka said, relieved to see that the situation hadn't worsened. "I'm sorry. I said it wasn't dangerous, but I didn't think the mana potion would do that to you." He moved away from the skeleton man, who was beginning to feel very cold, literally. "From now on let me try any strange things before you, to make sure it won't do anything crazy." He dared to grab Valda's hand again, finding it warmer than usual, but not near burning like last time.

"It's not you, it's her," Salamander said. "Didn't I tell you that already?"

Luka ignored her.

"Bah, whatever," the irritated spirit said. "Without Alice here, dealing with you is annoying."

She saw Henderson offer some kind of behaviour altering drug to Valda, and snapped.

The small fire at the tip of Henderson's blunt suddenly flared up, burning all of the substance to ash in a second and slightly scorching the man's fingertips. The cloud of smoke and ash that been formed floated towards the man, and he saw a disapproving female face in its swirling currents. "Oh no you don't, mister," Salamander hissed. "She does not need any more mind altering chemicals after this little incident. Keep it to yourself and you might even run into those gnomes you keep yapping about."