Author Topic: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction  (Read 34793 times)

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
  • I don't want no trabble
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction
« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
Wait, Satoshi is kind and compassionate? News to me.
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

I told you I wanted no trabble.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »
idk about you, but if a guy who literally bathes in All the Evils of the World got knocked out I'd try to wake him up immediately. Also the level of mental fortitude Gil has is ridiculous. It seems like a very underwhelming way to get rid of such a strong character.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »
Wait, Satoshi is kind and compassionate? News to me.
So my characters in the RP have been lectured on. So far it seems to be mostly a case of Show, Don't Tell though.

As a general on topic thing, that's an important thing any writer should keep in mind. Show, Don't Tell. Don't tell us what a character is like and expect us to believe it, show us through their actions, unless you're intentionally trying to create dissonance. It should be one of the very first things a writer learns aside from proper grammar and spelling.

And @Umbra, yeah, it is rather odd. Again, it would have made more sense to play on Gil's established weakness than his mental fortitude.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:32:33 PM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
I dislike when fanfic authors include very strong characters and then they don't know what to do with them. They're too powerful for the established setting so they just get them killed. If your plot can't handle a character don't include them in your fanfic. It's even worse when they come up with some stupid excuse to get rid of them.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
Lantz has this deep hatred for Gilgamesh. He's always trying to justify how Gil is defeatable all the time by using his OC and bringing more convoluted abilities on him.
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
Gil is pretty much unbeatable though. Only Shirou can beat him because of his inability to take a kid copying his swords seriously. Archer has a chance. He's better than Shirou but Gil takes him a bit more seriously if I remember right. You can't really blame Gil though. It's like fighting against a level 1 bunny with your level 1000 omega fighter who has so much stuff you just throw your inventory at things now. Then he pops out special ability and you go WTF. Then you get killed.

Edit: Really though. Anything that can overpower Gil will break my SoD instantly unless it's a Type.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:20:44 PM by Umbra of Chaos »

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »
Gil has op sword though. How do world destroying aliens handle EA?

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »
Reducing him to dust before he even drew Ea. They're really OP. Unless he took out Ea in the beginning and tried to destroy it on first sight he would get reduced to a smear in seconds.
Edit: But they would probably die if he managed to hit them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:32:06 PM by Umbra of Chaos »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »
Ea is around the level of Slash Emperor. It's quite poetic that the First Hero and a warrior from Land of Steel are equal in firepower.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »
So.... Gil and Ado Eden are equal in a sense? Huh.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
Gil's armor could also tank world destroying beings. Its just that types aren't from earth. They're even made ether.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »
Querty, modify a post is a thing. Double posts should not become a habit.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2014, 11:54:48 PM »
Gil's armor could also tank world destroying beings. Its just that types aren't from earth. They're even made ether.
Excalibur is not world destroying Qwerty. Gil's armor didn't protect him from that so it won't protect him from Types.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »
Sry for double quote. I'm on phone, so its rather inconvenient.

Types don't destroy the world in one blow either. Besides, Excalibur isn't called the strongest holy sword for nothing. That sword is also ridiculously strong. Its just overshadowed by EA.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2014, 12:01:37 AM »
Gil's armour is pretty good, but it's not going to protect him from most Noble Phantasms. It's just really hard to break through using a normal weapon.