Author Topic: Questions thread  (Read 32451 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Questions thread
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
Well, that depends on the hero.

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »
I see no reason why you couldn't possess and use both skills, no.
Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean the answer is "no". Eye of the Mind False is specifically an acquired skill developed in people with NO sixth sense or prescience. It's like you don't see planes with both jet engines and propellers.
l2Nasu

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2013, 02:20:30 AM »
Yeah, sure, I'm well aware that "I see no reason" is not the same as "there is definitely not any reason".

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »
Q: What is the difference between Eye of the Mind True and False?

A: "True" is the insight and perception gained through training. If a human were to have the "Eye of the Mind" skill, its true mechanism of action then is not sixth sense but accumulation of experience. As a result, it is designated as "True". "False" of course is the opposite. It is the "perception and resolution of the current situation" through the sixth sense. "False" is something that can never be achieved through training or experience. Really, the former should be "False" and the later should be "True". However, I hope you can discern my intention in this reversal.

Eye of the Mind (True): B
A danger-avoidance ability that utilises the intelligence collected up to the current time as the basis, in order to predict the opponent’s activity and change the current situation. This is not a result of talent, but an overwhelming amount of combat experience. A weapon wielded by none other than a mortal, gained through tenacious training. Using Eye of the Mind, Emiya was able to successfully counter Cú Chulainn’s thrusts that were invisible to the eye.
Even with Rank B Eye of the Mind (True), Emiya was unable to see through Emiya Shirou’s passion-infused strike which put “ideal” on the line.

They are effectively mutually exclusive. The lack of intuition forces the person to develop Eye of the Mind False.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
Hmm, I guess I have a question, about projection specifically. I know at least that most magi stay away from using projection because it's impractical for the prana cost and the amount of time said projection can be maintained because of that, but is there anything more specific on those limits? I would imagine it to be more difficult to create something with more intricate parts, or something larger, but I'm not sure to what extent.

To approach my question from a different angle, about how long would someone of Rin's calibur be able to maintain a rubber ball, a sword, and a motorized vehicle respectively? I would imagine that that last one would probably kill her at least after a short period of time, but that's been contested recently, so having a lore master taking a look at it isn't a bad idea.

Also, did Extra Material do anything to clarify for sure whether the Nameless Hero/Extra's version of EMIYA is contracted to the Moon Cell instead of Alaya? I'm pretty sure that it's true, but I just want to be sure. 

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:50 AM »
Hmm, I guess I have a question, about projection specifically. I know at least that most magi stay away from using projection because it's impractical for the prana cost and the amount of time said projection can be maintained because of that, but is there anything more specific on those limits? I would imagine it to be more difficult to create something with more intricate parts, or something larger, but I'm not sure to what extent.

To approach my question from a different angle, about how long would someone of Rin's calibur be able to maintain a rubber ball, a sword, and a motorized vehicle respectively? I would imagine that that last one would probably kill her at least after a short period of time, but that's been contested recently, so having a lore master taking a look at it isn't a bad idea.
Don't know. But we do know that projection is not worthwhile enough that even master magi don't bother with it. Its function is mostly scamming the World during a ritual, by projecting a rare/non-existent ingredient.
Shirou's projections last long because UBW came with some hardcore structural analysis (the wireframe stove scene in Stay Night), so he can project things better even than master magi (who cannot perceive the minute details).
I would say Rin's rubber ball or swords are probably terrible compared to Shirou's. And she can't project a car, because the World will break it down faster than she can image it.
Also, did Extra Material do anything to clarify for sure whether the Nameless Hero/Extra's version of EMIYA is contracted to the Moon Cell instead of Alaya? I'm pretty sure that it's true, but I just want to be sure.
EXTRA EMIYA is not exactly EMIYA. He is not longer just "faceless Japanese Guardian NO. 103245356346", but a place-holder of all Guardians.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2013, 01:38:27 AM »
So, the fact that it's just a mundane object doesn't matter, it would still be impossible to project for a normal magus? And, is it impossible to make a projected object remain around indefinitely even if you have an infinite prana supply to maintain it with?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:39:22 AM by Cherry Lover »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
I'd say correct.

Even if you have an infinite prana supply keeping the image steady would be flat out impossible.

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »
So, the fact that it's just a mundane object doesn't matter, it would still be impossible to project for a normal magus?
Perfection is impossible. Projection will break eventually. However, the closer you can get to the original, the longer it will last.

And, is it impossible to make a projected object remain around indefinitely even if you have an infinite prana supply to maintain it with?

After you project something, the deed is done. Mana is converted to matter. You can further reinforce it, but that is not projection anymore. Reinforcing something is not going to save it from being rejected by the World. If anything, it will draw more attention from the World by emphasizing the anomaly.

You can theoretically shield the object by insulating it from the World, but that is beside the point.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2013, 05:45:08 AM »
Honestly, this all makes me glad I asked, this is pretty interesting stuff. So unless you're fortunate enough to have Structural Analysis (IE be Emiya Shirou), projection is pretty useless outside of a few rare instances then. It also seems that I was correct about the car being close to impossible to project, even if I didn't understand the logistics of why at the time.

EXTRA EMIYA is not exactly EMIYA. He is not longer just "faceless Japanese Guardian NO. 103245356346", but a place-holder of all Guardians.
Ah, OK. I think I actually remember the Nameless Hero saying something to that effect/something similar in his third Matrix conversation towards the end of Fate/Extra, but wasn't for sure if that meant he wasn't exactly EMIYA or not. Thank you for the clarification.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
It's like why do you grow your own wheat, mill your own flour to make pasta when you can get a pack in the supermarket for 50 cents.

Why do you beat yourself half to death to project a car when you can get one for 10k?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
Well, she's thinking of a very specific thing that happened in the Cross Effects RP, so in that case buying a car wasn't an option.

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Then fly, or something.

Do mage stuff.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »
What about if you're with a bunch of people who are not particularly competent mages (but who are aware of magic)? And one of whom is in a wheelchair?

waifu slayer

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »
Mod that wheelchair.