Author Topic: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction  (Read 34890 times)

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »
(/)_-) I honestly don't blame you for that.

Therefore, I honestly plan to make Harry from Fate's Gamble more... appealing, and less frightening.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
Taking out Gilgamesh with some ass pulled and impossibru method to strip him of all powers. Just what Lantz did in his malformed quest.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
  • I don't want no trabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be best to rage at the very fic itself cat? Oh well, its not like your the only one. Geezus fucking christ that fic is bad.

Extremely short, little details given, Gil taken out (WTF?@!), choices that mean nothing, and wanking of his OC. Don't worry, he'll say with a straight face that none of that is true, and that his fic will be better with more updates.

Also, I'm a cat too except I'm an armadillo at the moment.
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

I told you I wanted no trabble.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »
The fic has hardly got anywhere yet, so of course there aren't many details just yet. And, no, the choices don't mean nothing. We have no idea how things might have changed with a different choice. Plus, FSN has plenty of choices that have little or no effect on the game, so that is hardly a meaningful criticism.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
Taking out Gilgamesh with some ass pulled and impossibru method to strip him of all powers. Just what Lantz did in his malformed quest.
What did I miss? I really don't feel like trudging through the thread.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
I'm wondering this too, I've been avoiding that thread  (the BL version, I mean) for my own health.

Also, preemptive admin statement, keep it cool in here about this, alright?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:52:59 PM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
extremely short chapter length and FSN has right and wrong choices (so that has some meaning). Besides, those have a set course from the beginning, so they can't truly create a story with hundreds of different paths, so you can hardly criticize them for that.

Lantz is writing a fanfiction with choices, giving them to people, and not doing anything with them right away. At the moment, people are pissed since it seems like the choice people had didn't mean anything. However, I'm guessing he'll let "Shirou" get a day in the spotlight later in the story, and the decision for Archer to be sub leader will happen later.

Also, Gil being taken out by some external force with ease what? Even Sakura got temporarily butchered by Gil, and only took him out because he UNDERESTIMATED IT. Here, Gil gets knocked unconscious from some unknown force, and people are expected to go "well that could just as easily happen to anyone in the room"? It should never be this easy to take out the guy that could take being bathed in all the world's evil and think that that was Tuesday.
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
Sorry if it got a little loud in here Alice. I'll try to be more quiet.

As for what's happening, Nasu cast is trapped in different place (world? dimension?), and evil force kidnapped some of the ladies. Satoshi is POV character (at the moment?), and evil voice shows how evil it is by knocking out Gilgamesh with a thought, while Satoshi feels some heat lost in his chest. Voice enforces rules for slice of life / survival rules and gives back the girls.

Now, shall Satoshi cook, meet with kidnapped girls, or sit down and recover?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:57:44 PM by qwertyfatcat »

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »
Well, if it was any type of mental assault  it would fail terribly against Gil for reasons stated above. Unless this is a Type level being I have no idea how it could even try to go for a mental attack. Even then it shouldn't be an instant KO. He is the King after all. There is also the problem that any entity that did that should be able to take out the entire cast with minimal effort. If it simply wants entertainment then the story could never end because with a thought it could annihilate the whole cast so they would need to do what he says.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »
extremely short chapter length and FSN has right and wrong choices (so that has some meaning).

Well, the chapters are short because it is the introduction, I think, plus it gives more interaction with the players that way. I don't see the problem with it, honestly.

Besides, those have a set course from the beginning, so they can't truly create a story with hundreds of different paths, so you can hardly criticize them for that.

Perhaps, but my point is that not every choice has to be life-or-death. Lantz has the possibility here to make choices have a more subtle effect. And, yes, sometimes a choice will turn out not to happen, FSN has that too (there are a few choices where you say you don't want to do something and then end up doing it anyway because of circumstances), and plenty of other games do as well.

Lantz is writing a fanfiction with choices, giving them to people, and not doing anything with them right away. At the moment, people are pissed since it seems like the choice people had didn't mean anything. However, I'm guessing he'll let "Shirou" get a day in the spotlight later in the story, and the decision for Archer to be sub leader will happen later.

Well, there are certainly right and wrong choices, although I don't think the effects of them are quite so brutal as they are in FSN. And, if nothing else you get character points for voting for the correct choice.

I think that playing it like FSN where every bad choice led to a bad end wouldn't fit with the intention. Bad choices here have longer-term consequences. However, as a short-term thing, if you make the right choice you get points for your supported characters (none of us did this time, the right choice was actually option 2).

Also, Gil being taken out by some external force with ease what? Even Sakura got temporarily butchered by Gil, and only took him out because he UNDERESTIMATED IT. Here, Gil gets knocked unconscious from some unknown force, and people are expected to go "well that could just as easily happen to anyone in the room"? It should never be this easy to take out the guy that could take being bathed in all the world's evil and think that that was Tuesday.

Well, that part I don't know anything about, but I think that it is ludicrous to judge the story on that basis without giving him any chance to explain it. Not everything in the story has to make perfect sense from the very beginning, and the impression I get is that the whole thing is meant to be somewhat of a mystery.

Well, if it was any type of mental assault  it would fail terribly against Gil for reasons stated above. Unless this is a Type level being I have no idea how it could even try to go for a mental attack. Even then it shouldn't be an instant KO. He is the King after all.

I think it is unfair to assume that Lantz has no way to explain it two chapters into the story. Gil might be strong, but he's not invincible.

There is also the problem that any entity that did that should be able to take out the entire cast with minimal effort. If it simply wants entertainment then the story could never end because with a thought it could annihilate the whole cast so they would need to do what he says.

Well, the fact that they just kidnapped the entire cast and intend to force them into some sort of survival game does kind-of imply that they are doing it for some reason aside from "to kill everyone". But, I think that is unavoidable given the basic premise of the game (which is everyone being kidnapped and forced to fight for their survival).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:07:33 PM by Cherry Lover »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »
Sorry if it got a little loud in here Alice. I'll try to be more quiet.
Nah, it's not too bad yet, you're fine. Since lantz discussions have a tendency to get explosive after a point though, I'm just throwing it out there early while things are still calm, mostly as a precaution.

And adding on to what Umbra said, yeah, that does seem weird. Naturally the bad guys would be strong, but as you said, knocking out Gil is a bit much. If they took advantage of the fact that he's the King of Carelessness, and he simply got taken down by the usual underestimating his opponent bit, it'd make more sense, but if they just somehow managed to sneak attack/sneak mental attack Gil, then yeah, that's stretching it a bit.

And is that really the current choices? O_O That's pretty bad, yeah.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
And is that really the current choices? O_O That's pretty bad, yeah.

I'm not sure why. FSN has plenty of choices along the lines of "should I help Sakura in the kitchen?". Not every choice has to be life-or-death....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »
Eh, it's not that so much. It's like Nachos said in the DSM version of the thread/voting thread, they should be checking on Gil. Even if he is a jerk, he's still an ally, and they owe him that much. Plus getting started on figuring out what drained him, etc.

More slice of lifely choices have their time, is what I'm saying. When something big and scary like that happens though, that's not where your priorities go. It has to make sense in context of the events that just occurred.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:16:03 PM by Alice »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
Perhaps, but I don't think Toshi has a particularly good opinion of Gil....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
Isn't he supposed to be compassionate and caring for all though (despite evidence to the contrary elsewhere, but we're giving him the benefit of the doubt here)?

If Toshi is fine with taking an obvious Bad Guy from the wall that was obviously there for a reason, why wouldn't he even spare the time to make sure Gil was okay? It makes Toshi just look like a jerk more than anything. You don't have to like someone to help them, after all.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:18:29 PM by Alice »